AT&T Double Data Promo Extended til Nov 15, 2014.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Oct 31, 2014.

1. myztikal47 macrumors regular

They're reallllllllllllllly trying to convince everyone on the unlimited plans to switch. They must know something even worse than the FTC lawsuit is coming their way. Based on AT&T's historical practices, there's absolutely no reason they're all of a sudden being so nice to their customers.

2. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Except of course for the obvious fact that the competition is offering aggressive data deals that are being heavily marketed.

3. myztikal47 macrumors regular

True, but they were the first ones to release their double data promo were they not? And then Verizon/Sprint/T-Mobile did the same.

I'm on unlimited (for now), and depending on the outcome, I will switch to Verizon, due to the simple fact that Verizon has better coverage in the northeast and currently they cost exactly the same.

4. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

I don't think any business offers a great deal to their entire customer base just to get a smaller part of their customer base to act. If this was just about the unlimited plans, wouldn't it be smarter to have a "hey unlimited, here is a great deal for you" offer?

5. myztikal47 macrumors regular

Well if the deal was only offered to Unlimited customers wouldn't all the other customers cry foul that unlimited plan users are being offered a ridiculous deal for much more data at the same price? Which may or may not have ended up in thousands of complaints to the FTC and the FTC again calling out AT&T for trying to squeeze as much money out as they can from their customers.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

The issue is that the number of people on unlimited plans probably isn't a "smaller part" of their customer base. It is probably the majority of their customer base.

Most people who can't even tell the difference between an iPhone 5 and an iPhone 5S know even less about the plans they are on. I work for a major financial company. My colleagues are all very smart people. But no one here knows their phone plans because they set it up eons ago and never had any incentive to change it. Not everyone is a tech geek like us on MacRumors.

All those millions of people that bought an iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 3GS in 2009 still have those unlimited plans to this day, myself included.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I was told the Sprint plan was not lifetime. It expires at some point. Maybe a year or two. I don't remember.

8. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Customers can cry all they want, but there is nothing illegal about offering customers on one plan a different plan.

Secondly, the job of a company is to get as much money out of their customers as they can - as long as they do it legally. So the FTC can whine about that as much as they want, but it is meaningless.

9. myztikal47 macrumors regular

You're right, customers can cry. But at the same time, you really think everyone would stick around ATT if they screwed a majority of the customers who are not unlimited users? Why wouldn't customers switch to Verizon? They really do have better coverage almost everywhere. AT&T is scared.

10. McDaddio macrumors 6502a

Washington Post claims there are 3.5M unlimited plans, AT&T has around 52M smartphone customers (annual report)

11. turbocamel macrumors member

I think with voLTE coming out now and verizon iPhones being allowed to have simultaneous voice and data. Att is scared. T-Mobile and sprint are an afterthought.

12. kukheart macrumors regular

kukheart

I called into retentions about a week and a half ago, got the $65 plan and 4GB of data, went great, and just saw my bill today, $70.02 after taxes, not bad at all compared to paying $90 something.

13. Kendo macrumors 68000

The FTC claims that AT&T throttled data plans for at least 3.5 million unlimited data holders, it doesn't mean there are 3.5 million plans in total. Even if it were true, 3.5 million is still a big number if that was the entire population but it isn't. It is only the portion that has been throttled.

I am an unlimited data holder and have never been throttled, hence I am not included in that 3.5 million figure. In other words, there are a ton of people that got throttled. But there are an even bigger ton of people that never reached 5GB of data and were never throttled. If 3.5 million users were throttled, there's gotta be a ****** ton more people that have the unlimited plan and were not throttled.

14. McDaddio, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014

McDaddio macrumors 6502a

How is not giving someone something they aren't entitled to "screwing them"?

Unreasonable people may get upset, but adults without an entitled attitude would look at the deal they have and decide whether or not to keep it.

AT&T loses customers every day to Verizon...and vis-a-versa. No one is scared.

I had one phone on an unlimited plan - $30.
    Two phones were on 2G for $25 with a $10 charge for every 1G above the 2G.
    One phone was at 3G for $30 with the same overage charge.

So, even with the throttling at 5G, the unlimited plan was a great deal. But this is America and there are plenty of entitled people who still need to whine.

Now I have 20G for $100 with hotspots on all of them. What a deal!

----------

How can you have a bigger ton?
    A ton is a ton.

You have no idea whether or not the number of unthrottled people is 1% or 10000% more. You are just guessing.

If you read their annual report you can get a better breakdown of how their 55M people on smartphone plans breaks out.

15. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

No love for the 10GB plan? Screw you AT&T, retentions is not much help either.

16. j0sh77 macrumors member

AT&T Double Data Promo Extended til Nov 15, 2014.

I just read that att will be giving 15gb on the 10gb price

Nvm that was verizon. Att is adding on low plans

17. joelb727 macrumors regular

18. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

19. joelb727 macrumors regular

I should've said "maybe" they'll match. But who knows.

20. vanitytriplex macrumors newbie

I have been throttled to beyond slow rates after 5gig and I'm highly pissed. It's about to make me get out of my contract with them. Unlimited means unlimited

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

For a time they were matching sprint. I called in and was able to take advantage of that deal.

You have obviously never read a contract. Unlimited can mean whatever they define it as.

22. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

Not everywhere and it is hard to just "switch" because everytime you get a new phone you have to renew your contract, that is the main reason why we have not upgraded to iphone 6 plus, I want to get rid of this contract so I will not extend my contract any longer.

----------

I think what the poster was trying to say is, unlimited means it should be unlimited, not whatever they want it to mean.

IF they offer "unlimited" they should not be slowing down our internet when you reach a certain "limit" hence "unlimited", I understand their "reasoning" for it but if that is something they have to do, then they should not call it unlimited.

23. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I figure AT&T will just stop allowing you to grandfather the unlimited plan when it becomes too much of a burden, there is no way AT&T will ever give a truly unlimited plan, no strings attached.

24. YouGoGlenCocoa macrumors member

Guys, be careful with this. I was on the 10 GB mobile share when i heard about the double data promo. I upgraded to the 15GB and voila had the 30GB for the price of 15 (for an extra $30 a month for jumping from 10 to 15)

realized it was way more than i needed and heard about them doubling the 10GB plan to 20GB for the price of the 10. Also read here about the promotion being extended to middle of november.

call this morning to change to 20GB for the price of my old 10GB plan.... oh but wouldn't you f'n know... conveniently that ended last week (att rep with their stupid ass fake concerned voice)

so I'm still on 30gb for 15gb price, but i could be saving an extra $30 a month really. If anyone has success in trying to do what i am could you please post it here.

**they also told me the only thing that has been extended was the 30gb for price of 15gb...