Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morecowbell

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Hi All...

Quick question:

I have a 4s on Verizon. I want to upgrade to the Iphone 5. I'd like to get it on Upgrade Day, but my upgrade isn't until Oct 11th. Can I buy the phone at Full Retail on Launch Day and then return it 2 or 3 weeks later so I can take advantage of my upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi All...

Quick question:

I have a 4s on Verizon. I want to upgrade to the Iphone 5. I'd like to get it on Upgrade Day, but my upgrade isn't until Oct 11th. Can I buy the phone at Full Retail on Launch Day and then return it 2 or 3 weeks later so I can take advantage of my upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you have 30 days from purchase date to return it if you want.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
If it's unlocked, that's not a problem.

as the iphone 5 is coming out very soon, he lost his window to sell it at that price. sorry bro

and geckotek, you remember when we had the downvote buttons? and remember last years iphone 4s tracking thread? and every post you made in there was downvoted? I was the one!

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
as the iphone 5 is coming out very soon, he lost his window to sell it at that price. sorry bro

and geckotek, you remember when we had the downvote buttons? and remember last years iphone 4s tracking thread? and every post you made in there was downvoted? I was the one!

Sorry bro, but that window has not passed. Have you checked the prices lately?

Nice that you admit to being a child.

Edit: Ooops...that one didn't sell
Edit 2: $612
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-UNL...0877560587?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item25750cc30b
Edit 3: $649
http://www.ebay.com/itm/APPLE-IPHON...1033933729?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3f1ae19fa1

Last edited:

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

I'm not sure which is more pathetic: admitting to doing such a thing & thinking it will be a burn, or remembering that such an instance happened with such vivid, and apparently gratifying, detail.

Maybe it's a draw...

HighTopFade

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Daly City
Sorry for just getting back to you, no the cross upgrade can only be done in a cor retail store.

Do you think I'll be ok pre-ordering from the AT&T website and then going to the corporate retailer store for a cross upgrade when I receive the new phone?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
He said he will buy it full price so figured he'd go to Apple.
Apple still has 30 day return policy.
On the verizon part you are correct.

True. Probably a big benefit to purchasing a iPhone directly from Apple, rather than Verizon.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Do you think I'll be ok pre-ordering from the AT&T website and then going to the corporate retailer store for a cross upgrade when I receive the new phone?
Sure that will work just fine. You can also order from Apple.com and then go into an AT&T Corp Retail location and complete the upgrade swap.

Last year doing an upgrade swap from an iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S was simple since they both had a Micro-SIM, it was very easy, you could even do it over the phone with Customer Care while standing in the Apple store if you like crowds :eek:

We will have to wait and see what type of SIM is installed in the iPhone 5 but if you have a spare set of SIMs for the devices you want to swap you can do all of it from your couch. :D

There is really nothing special about an Cross Upgrade aka Upgrade Swap. You are just ordering the new device a line of service which starts a new two year service commitment on that line of service. Once that happens, you can move the device to any line of service.

Dave

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country

You can go into the store and have the imei and sim changed around at anytime. Shouldn't be a problem but you will have to get whoever's line you use for upgrade a new sim because their line will go to the sim in the new iPhone.

MacLifer

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Trying to figure out how to get iPhone 5 today at best price...

I am trying to figure out my upgrade *today* options...

I think right now I am eligible for a full discount on an upgrade on 10/12/2012. So a month from today. If I upgrade today, I have to pay an extra $250 on top of the full discount price.

It would actually be cheaper to pay the early termination fee ($135) than pay that extra $250. Am I missing something?

Also, are carriers like Sprint or T-Mobile offering any deals for people to leave AT&T that might offset something like a termination fee?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
If you terminate the line I hope you're going to a different carrier because AT&T wouldn't consider you a new customer for another 90 days if you cancel. You do better just simply waiting the month to upgrade.

Vin365

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
My account reports up for renewal 10/30.

I wonder if they'll bump that forward a little bit for the pre-order. Hrmmm.

Still, I can't decide if any rumor I've read is enticing more than a purely curious nerd factor. Bigger (-), more cpu/gpu power (meh), bigger screen (-), LTE (meh), 5ghz wifi (+), better camera (+), I could use more storage 32GB (+)... sigh...

Same here, nothing has changed though :(
any updates for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.