AT&T ECF policy clarification

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jerkjosh, Jul 28, 2008.

1. jerkjosh macrumors newbie

I was reading the terms and conditions for the iphone plans, and I got confused with this excerpt:

The fee will begin at $175 per device and decrease by $5 each month for the term of the agreement.

The way I'm seeing this is that you sign up for a 3 year plan and get the iphone for 199/299. 1 month in, you cancel, and you pay that months charge and $170, and that's it? (tax as well)

This method was proposed way back before June 9th. Anyways, that comes to much less than the $599 no-contract price. I know I'm seeing this wrong, but can someone correct me with how it actually works?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm certain that my contract is 2-years...:eek:

3. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping it works like this:

$199 - Purchase price of 8GB iPhone
    $12/mo service fee pro-rated for 3 days
    $175 ETF
    ------
    $386

If you cancel within the first three days the activation fee is waived. I bought on Sunday and cancelled AT&T on Tuesday. There's no reason to keep the service a whole month to save $5 on the ETF when you can save $36 by canceling within the first three days if your intent is to take it to another carrier.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

According to the explanation of $175 ETF decrease by $5 each month for the term of the agreement, over a 2-year agreement/contract (do they have a 3-year agreement/contract?) that would only account for $120, while the remaining $55 goes into AT&T's pockets uncontested? :confused:

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

The $175 doesn't represent any particular value. Seeing that if you cancel in the last month of your conract (and therefore avoid about a $65-$70 phone bill), you're actually coming out ahead.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>Bearxor

What about the clause which says if you cancel in the first 30-days (trial period) you have to send the phone back.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

OK, I'm the owner/user of a Ti-83Plus, my apologies...

8. Inukami macrumors 6502

*agrees*

9. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

That's if you want a refund on the phone and service...

10. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

I read the policy, and did not see anything that said you HAD to send the equipment back, but instead that you may have to send it back, or you may have to pay the balance of the full retail price. But this was not limited to the first 30 days.

-jt2

11. Inukami macrumors 6502

So its probably better to pay service for the first 30days if you bought a 16GB huh?

retail price of 16GB<first month+cancel fee

12. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I'm fully expecting only the $175 termination fee + prorated charges. If they want more than that then they can give me instructions on returning the phone. I hope they tell me to put it where I feel like putting it >:)

Bill should be in anyday now...

13. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't know if this applies to AT&T as well, but Verizon's ETF was as follows: $175 - $5/month of service, only until it got down to $80. Whether you canceled after 18 months or 23 months, you're not going to pay less than $80.

14. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Dude...I got some contracts for you to sign. It's obvious you have hard time reading them. =)

15. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i'm wondering about this too....
    you just pay the first month with ATT, then your prorated (minus $5?) ETF of $175 and go to carrier of choice.

is there any indication that that's not the way it will work?

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

AT&T's billing, as is the industry standard, will consist of two months of billing. So, don't be surprised when you see your first AT&T 3G iPhone BILL; you may want to take a seat, b/c it's twice the pain...:eek:

17. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

OK, so what you're saying is two months? or the first month is just going to be more expensive? and after that we could still just pay the ETF and the handsets ours, free and clear?

18. Inukami macrumors 6502

I don't understand why would they charge for an extra month when you already canceled =/

Doesn't that seem a little excessive? ATT is so money hungry.

19. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I don't think this is necessarily right. I believe AT&T only bills on certain days, so if you start midway through a billing period, instead of a very tiny bill your first month they tack it on to the full bill of the second month. So not double the bill, but more than one.

I'll admit it's been a long time since I've opened a brand new account though...

20. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/legal/return-policy.jsp
    You only get the activation fee waived if returned within the first 3 days.
    There is no ETF if service is canceled within the first 30 days. You are required to return the equipment though.
    If you fail to return the equipment, they will charge you the FULL retail price for the phone.
    Full retail is not $199/$299 + ETF + activation.
    Full retail is in the neighborhood of $700 to $800 based on no-contract prices that have been floated around, plus any usage fees.

AT&T also bills one month in advance. Basically you pay BEFORE you use, not after. That's why your first bill is always so big. They want their money up front. ;)

21. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Your first months bill on the iphones cheapset plan will be-
    Voic plan $40
    Data $30
    Activation $36
    Taxes $7

Estimated total= $115

If you cancel afer one month i think your ETF is reduced by $5. So ETF could be $170+tax. Add cost of 16gb $300+tax.

You are looking at $600 plus.

22. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

OK, so regardless of the size of your first bill, after one month of service you pay the ETF and the phone is yours to do with as you please?

seems like that'd be a lot cheaper then the non-contract prices that are being floated around....

23. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Not really...

Depending on your plan $100 to $200 dollars for the first month's bill, The $175 dollar ETF and then add the cost of the phone plus tax. So for the 8GB model your going to pay at the low end $490 dollars or more. That's painful price to pay for a phone with no warranty.

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

I think the phone itself has warranty, but if you need to take the phone in for help and its on t-mobile and not ATT you are screwed.

25. Knolly macrumors 6502a

This is true. If AT&T tells you you HAVE to send the phone back tell them to look at their own refund policy. It's not there. Worst they can do is make you pay "Full price" for the phone... Which is either $400 or $600... Who knows which.