AT&T ending grandfathered data plan with iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mrs. C, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Mrs. C macrumors newbie

I took my daughter to Target to upgrade her broken iPhone 5 to a new 5S. While chatting with the rep, who suggested I trade my 4 in as well, I told him I would be waiting for the iPhone 6 so I could get the bigger screen, and besides, I am on a grandfathered data plan and would need to upgrade through AT&T. He told me his AT&T rep told him they will not allow grandfathered data plans with the 6, and in September they will start moving everyone who is grandfathered out of unlimited data whether they want it or not. Has anyone else heard this or have any more information to share?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Let's hear it from a more reliable source than some lowly Target worker.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure, a target rep told you that?
    Then its definately legit:rolleyes::eek:

4. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I heard it on the interwebz!!!!!! must be true :rolleyes:

5. paleriderc2d macrumors member

6. ourmountain macrumors regular

This. The Target Mobile people are awful about it, and generally have no idea what they're doing on top of it. Thanks to one of them every line on my account somehow got the contract extended. :rolleyes:

7. StarShot Suspended

StarShot

You mean the "unlimited" plan that gets throttled at 3GB? The one I changed to the $30 3GB plan that I can tether my iPad up to 5GB for only $10 more? If the old unlimited data plan was really unlimited, I can see holding on to it IF you routinely exceed 3GB. Otherwise, it's meaningless.

8. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I think said Target employee may have enjoyed a certain state dependent illegal substance on his break.

9. JonathanK81, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2014

JonathanK81 macrumors 6502a

JonathanK81

It's only throttled at 3GB if it's not LTE. LTE devices have 5GB, which should be more than enough for the average user.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The rep and/or their supervisor are making an assumption and passing it off as fact. There have been employees at all kinds of outlets that have said this at every upgrade cycle since the unlimited plans ended.

AT&T has stated they will never force people off unlimited. However, what *may* happen is that will refuse to subsidize your iPhone or allow you to make payments on the Next program. Meaning you would need to pay full price up front -- which would effectively force people off.

11. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I was at Walmart and the person selling phones told me verizon is bringing back unlimited data. They said they heard it from their tow truck driver when he was changing her flat tire on the way to work.

12. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Why would they want anyone off of it? Its not like having unlimited data on AT&T has any impact on their network. I am sure those using the plan to its full potential are impacting things with 0.50mbps on LTE.

13. natewsmith79 macrumors newbie

I left ATT was paying $136.00 a month for my Grandfathered plan. I pay 74.00 a month through T-Mobile for Unlimited/Un Throttled LTE, Data and Text.

How is your T-Mobile Coverage where you are? I've never been happier.

14. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

How are you only paying $74/monthly on T-Mobile? You must not have any minutes... or really low minutes.

15. cnotes2019, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

cnotes2019 Suspended

AT&T ending grandfathered data plan with iPhone 6?

I have a tmobile plan with 1000 min and unlimited lte data $59.99

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

You're paying 74$ monthly? Wow Im only paying 15$ more on AT&T (on the rollover plan with more minutes than ill ever use) with way better LTE and reception everywhere I go! Like inside of buildings and stuff too!

17. mr99 macrumors 6502a

I'm not confident they'll totally remove grandfathered unlimited, that might lose a lot of customers.

18. scaredpoet, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yeah, I used to be like you. And admittedly, AT&T has marginally more coverage than T-Mobile in some regions, but not by a whole lot in my experience of late. Of course, everyone's mileage may vary. But saving $40 a month off my bill and getting more data in exchange (for both my iPhone AND iPad, rather than just having to tether off the iPhone) is really, really nice, and I haven't been wanting in coverage either, including inside buildings. I've even found a few spots where I used to just put up with AT&T not working, and now T-Mobile has me covered. Who woulda thunk it?

If AT&T is truly better for you (in that, you've actually tried out T-Mobile recently and found the coverage to be subpar) then all I can do is feel sorry that you have to berate others to justify your continued use of them. If a carrier works for a person, by all means, let them use that carrier.

(Except for Sprint... there's just no excuse for using Sprint.) ;)

----------

In any case, back to the topic:

They won't. The Target rep was blowing hot air. I din't even think AT&T knows what it's going to do, if anything when the iPhone 6 goes on sale in terms of data plans. But ending grandfathers unlimited is highly unlikely anytime soon.

19. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I have AT&T and at my job only people who get reception are people with tmobile. Go figure lol....wish your statement was true all the time

20. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Eh, I pay $150/mo for unlimited everything on Verizon. Would be nice to pay less but they're the only ones with unlimited LTE hotspot (if you're grandfathered).

21. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I didn't realize I did all that in one simple phrase.

What I do see is that

1. You got sensitive, (maybe its to do with being on T-Mobile which is considered a poor network compared to VZ/ATT.)

2. You tried to rudely make it out to be bigger than it was and then had the attitude of "lets change the subject" like as if I was off subject when I wasn't... like as if your an authority. Suspect you feel the need to push that agenda. Again, see number 1.

3. I work at a steel manufacturing plant, everyone gets reception in the building except my dad who is the only one on T-Mobile on a Note3. He doesn't receive calls in the building and needs to go outside--this is as of yesterday. Ive been working in the cell phone industry for 11 years and know T-mobile well, on paper and in the field, from their history to their current situation.

4. And like I said before, 15$ a month or so isn't worth the hassle. If you had an outside the norm experience thats either a rarity/oddity that doesn't reflect the mass of users in your city and especially not nationwide, it could be your phone, or it could just be that your dishonest because... see 1.

A lot of people boast about having T-Mobile when the handful of dollars they save doesn't justify the slower internet and the B-level reception nationwide.

----------

Also I have never been throttled on my unlimited plan.

A lot of people forget you have to go over 5GB three consecutive months in a row before your actually throttled.

Ive never seen my LTE be any slower than WiFi.

People act like throttling is a common issue. Most of us have Wifi at Home and at work now.

All the extra stuff T-Mobile boasts is a moot point. It gives you slower internet for less money but its not capped off.

Well thats assuming I have to deal with being capped off in the first place, I don't. All I care about is not having to get charged money for extra internet if and when I ever need it.

Tmobiles boast all assume throttling is a real life issue. And sell you on the potential of that.

But on paper you're just getting slower internet straight up. My first 5GB of LTE are way better than your first 5GB.

And since I don't go over that, what ever boast you have about what happens when you go over is meaningless to me because I never go over 3 months back to back.

22. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

This is a lie. I've been throttled recently for hitting 5GB just once in the last few months. They'll get you when they want to. I was going months of using 10-12GB a month, got throttled so I cooled off a bit, but hit the 5GB limit on LTE again about 5-6 months later and got throttled. Same with a few of my co-workers on AT&T with the unlimited data plan. I'm still with AT&T, and have been trying to avoid going over 5GB, but is rough when I want to use my phone for streaming netflix.

For reference, here's there policy for throttling. http://www.att.com/esupport/datausage.jsp?source=IZDUel1160000000U

I've have first hand tried T-Mobile, the speeds were actually much higher in my area than AT&T. I did have reception issues sometimes when in a building like at work, but my point still stands that the speeds were more impressive on T-Mobile over AT&T (and was truly unlimited.) When I first joined AT&T, I was able to use as much data as I wanted, not the case anymore. If T-Mobile is to improve their signal in buildings, I would greatly join them due to their impressive speeds. AT&T even sells you on the 'fastest 4G speeds' all the time, yet they're not the fastest.

AT&T does charge overages if you have any other data plan that isn't unlimited. So if this rumor is true, you'll be forced to another data option, which will have overages if you go over the limited amount, which are also more expensive in regards to what you are getting and paying now.

23. Bobby Corwen, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I stopped reading at the bolded part...

EDIT: I continued to read the part where you admit TMobile coverage is spotty.
    So my question to you is what kind of boast is it that TMO LTE has 11GB speeds and ATT has 10GB speed, BUT ONLY when you even have coverage in the first place? (which you admit is a real life issue) And what about when you're further from towers because there are less of them?

Most of the reason you get a faster speed test in a perfect scenario situation with TMO is cuz they have less ppl on their poverty network anyway. So as you're driving around town and you play that youtube video, with TMO there will be hiccups not because of the bandwidth but rather the coverage which still equates to sub-par LTE behavior when streaming, no?

I have never started a song or opened a web page and had to wait, ever.

24. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Why? Why can't I use it when I want to as much as I want to? I can use it with T-Mobile without any limits, hell even I was able to use it for 10-12GB a month just watching Netflix and AT&T never batted an eye and when it was true unlimited data. I used over 10GB with T-Mobile when I had them, so they can't be that bad. How can a carrier with half the subscribers be able to handle this much data usage and AT&T can't? AT&T's throttling policy is a joke, as someone that has been throttled, (you can't speak on it considering you said yourself you've never been throttled.) it's pure crap. 10-12GB a month is not a lot of data in terms of streaming Netflix, trust me. Just because you don't use your data like I do, doesn't mean I'm doing something wrong.

Perhaps it was a good idea you stopped reading considering you were pulling the 3 month crap out of your butt in terms of throttling.

25. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

No I stand behind it, I used 7 GB last month and my internet never changed.