AT&T Faces Initial Setback in Verizon Ad Spat, Rolls Out Response Ad

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Associated Press reports that a judge has refused to grant AT&T's request for a temporary restraining order forcing Verizon to halt its commercials comparing the two companies' wireless network coverage.
AT&T filed the lawsuit in federal court in Atlanta earlier this month and asked for a temporary restraining order and a permanent injunction to stop the ads. It contends they are misleading and amount to deceptive trade practices.

Verizon argues that the commercials are valid and truthful.
A hearing has been scheduled for December 16th to allow the case to proceed.

Since publishing a public response to Verizon's commercials late last week, AT&T has now begun rolling out its own television ad, featuring actor Luke Wilson offering a comparison of AT&T's and Verizon's network using the same factors highlighted in last week's press release.

Article Link: AT&T Faces Initial Setback in Verizon Ad Spat, Rolls Out Response Ad

avn

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
AT&T cost savings

Fat Luke Wilson was much cheaper than Skinny Luke Wilson

Comment

jaredmauch

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
AT&T never an innovator

AT&T has never really been an innovator in any space, with the exception of the folks at Bell Labs (back in the day). They've kept putting off the capital expenditures until it's absolutely necessary. That was seen with their adoption of DSL late in the market, pushing fiber to the vicinity instead of the home, and the low bandwidth provided on it's 3G network.

Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the pattern, but it's honestly just sad. I'd rather see them push things out and compete with others but they seem content in 2nd or 3rd place.

Comment

CartoonHeroII

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2004
Rigby, ID
Meh...

So maybe AT&T has a 'better' experience. But AT&T doesn't have 3G in my state, so Verizon's ads are very relevant and applicable. AT&T is worthless to me until they roll out 3G in more areas.

Comment

mr_matalino

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2005
If this is AT&T's response, it's a pretty sad response compared to the "misfit" ad Verizon put out.

Comment

colonels1020

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2006
Meh...

So maybe AT&T has a 'better' experience. But AT&T doesn't have 3G in my state, so Verizon's ads are very relevant and applicable. AT&T is worthless to me until they roll out 3G in more areas.
It's alright bro, they still have EDGE, which is just like 3G, except not as fast. :rolleyes:

Comment

Shasterball

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Man, Luke Wilson has put on some weight...

This is ridiculous. AT&T 3G coverage is poor. Stop trying to mask the fact -- beef up your network...

Comment

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
AT&T may do better by selling on customer service - being better than Verizon isn't hard there. Being better than Verizon basically involves not sending Frank & Vito after you when you complain. :)

That aside, I wish they'd reallocate their advertising dollars to upgrading their network.. however much it hurts, Vzn's comparison of 3G coverage is accurate, and Edge doesn't cut it for much these days.

Comment

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Maybe they should just respond by improving and expanding their 3G network. Crazy idea, I know, but it just might work.

Comment

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
They forgot one checklist item ...

So the new ATT ad missed one very important checklist item:

[ ] iPhone user experience on ATT EDGE network because 3G is not deployed

Note #1 to ATT ... you have many many many many customers in largely populated areas where your network is NOT 3G because your focus is elsewhere and you woefully underestimated network traffic needs.

Note #2 to ATT ... it's 2009 ... not 1909 which is where you seem operate.

Comment

hakr

macrumors regular
I haven't even looked at an iPhone because of AT&T. I had its cell service years ago, and when I moved to an area where its coverage was marginal at best, AT&T wouldn't let me out of my cell contract. I had to pay a cancel fee of at least $150.

If Verizon gets the iPhone, I'll take a look.

AT&T (which of course is not AT&T - it's just a company that bought the trade name) can kiss my butt.

Comment

evilyankeefan

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2007
I think it would be funny if Verizon did a rebuttal with Owen :) Waiting to see the celebrity pic of Luke with what phone he has.

Sounds like this is going to escalate even more.

Comment

cha0tik

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Around the way...
So their response to a misleading Verizon ad is a misleading AT&T ad? Nice work AT&T...

Notice they start off talking about 3g, first bullet point is 3g, but then there is NO mention of 3g in the second point. Well, you can not browse and talk at the same time on EDGE.

"Shame on you Verizon, our customers have EDGE where they don't have 3G!" Well, own up to it now in your own ad!

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I think the Verizion had a better ad with the misfit toys one.

This response has little impact and seems a tad rushed IMO.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.