AT&T FaceTime over cellular with Unlimited plans seems live...for real this time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kre62, Feb 28, 2013.

1. kre62 macrumors 68000

Hi all

Some of you may recall that I broke the news about AT&T enabling FaceTime for its unlimited users a few months back. After that story went viral, AT&T shut this feature off for it's users.

Well it seems that now FaceTime over cellular has returned. It switched itself on over a week ago for me, and I've been taking my time to see if it was legit before bringing it up here. I'm not sure if this has something to do with 6.1.2, but I can confirm FaceTime is working on my iPhone5 with unlimited data, and even flipping the cell switch off and back on does not trigger the usual pop-up. My work 4S also has this enabled.

So please check your phones, AT&T unlimited users, and see if you see the same thing. If not, are you on the latest software? Report back here.

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm on AT&T unlimited, have the latest firmware update, and when I try to enable FaceTime over cellular I still get the pop up that tells me I need wifi or an "eligible" data plan. Maybe it's rolling out only in select markets.

3. Bag302 macrumors regular

4. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Give it some time probably rolling out slowly.

5. gtmac macrumors 6502a

Same here.

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I placed a FT call between my 4S on 6.1.1 using AT&Ts unlimited data plan to my computer and the call went through.

7. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Thank God this isn't an issue for me anymore now that I'm jailbroken. Sick of AT&T and their stupid restrictions.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You know before I would get excited and try it out and then dissapointed again that it wont let me turn it on.
    But now I got 3Gunrestrictor installed so take that AT&T:D lol

9. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

Well it works for me just tried it, but like applejuiced my iPhone is jailbroken so it really did not matter.

10. elistan macrumors 6502a

11. rgare2 macrumors newbie

Not working for me and AT&T gives me attitude over it.

12. Jleroy macrumors regular

Jleroy

It's a negatory here in Flagstaff AZ

13. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

AT&T Unlimited, using an iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1.2, carrier AT&T 14.0. I just tried to turn on Use Celluar Data and I still get the popup stating it requires an active Wi-Fi connection or an eligible cellular data plan. I am in what is considered the Chicago market, even though I am quite a ways west of there.

14. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well, looks like its still not live. Weird, both my phones are workng with no more popup. No jailbreaks.

15. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Is this just for unlimited that is just getting it now because I've been able to make FaceTime calls over LTE for a good while now. iPhone 5, up to date, 3GB data plan.

16. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Yes. AT&T enabled FT over LTE for non-unlimited plans a while back.

17. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Ok, guess they were trying to get those unlimited people to cave in and change, guess ATT gave in first

18. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I have a 4S which doesn't have LTE and FT worked yesterday on my unlimited plan. Today, it's not working. Get the warning.

19. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Kinda like a weather man, always breaking incorrect news, like we knew about his last incorrect forecast.

20. rgare2 macrumors newbie

I called AT&T again. Ask if the rumors were true about AT&T settling the facetime for grandfathered in cust. I know it wasn't true but I'm going to keep getting it on record. Anyway the kept me on hold for about 15 minutes. They kept apologizing about the delay. When they finally got back to me, manager involved now. The only thing they could find was AT&T was going to allow some tiered user to use the data for facetime, what ever that means.
    Does anyone know how to sign onto the different lawsuits. Every one needs to keep calling AT&T like I did. I called the tech department. Don't bother with the internet live chat. They just want to sell you a new contract and do it with a bad attitude.

I tried posting 4 things on AT&T forum.

None of them bad. They managed to delete 3 and edit one of them so much I don't even know what it says. One was deleted because they said one line was off topic, next was because the last word was "@#@&$" in place of the word "****". The gave my the whole lecture on forum rules and vulgarity. So I guess my parents are at fault for never teaching me that typing "@#@&$" was bad. The last one was a question about any law suits.

21. rgare2 macrumors newbie

Can you believe it AT&T just sent me a survey on my call last night. To keep it short I ended the comments like this:
    I'm following AT&T's example, I'm turning off wi-fi on my phone and only going to use cell data and keeping as many cell data hogging apps as possible running all day as long as I'm awake. Why, just because I can I think I will.

22. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

image.png

23. Vegaspilot macrumors regular

It wasn't working for me. iPhone on 6.1.2 and last night I restored cause my batt life was getting bad...again. After the restore FT has been switched on and stayed on. We'll see how long it lasts.

24. rgare2, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

rgare2 macrumors newbie

at&t told me yesterday that over the next few months they will be allowing some tiered contracts holders to use facetime. Big deal So now some unlimited plans will become unlimited and others will be stuck with pretend unlimited.

25. iphone X macrumors regular

iphone X

im getting the same thing :confused: