AT&T false advertising...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vega07, Aug 12, 2008.

1. vega07 macrumors 65816

I got the iPhone, switching to AT&T, recently after being affirmed by the online coverage map that 3G service does exist in my area.

I've been getting zero 3G coverage (the signal would switch to EDGE after a few seconds). I call AT&T and the kind representative told me the towers around me won't be activated for 3G until November 15. WTF?

He offered me $25 in credit, but I feel it to be inadequate. I'm planning to cancel my service maybe in the next week or so.

What do you guys think about this? OR maybe it's the iPhone?

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

There's surely a disclaimer stating the maps aren't entirely accurate. Deal with it.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I do not think that this warrants canceling your service. I would not call it false advertisement, as that map reflects what your service will be for the majority of your service commitment. You only have to wait about 3 months for the 3G service to be activated. Take the $25 offered and stick with the service. All that you are missing is slightly faster speeds that will burn out your battery faster. And that $25 is almost equal for the difference, as you are essentially "losing" $30 over those three months compared to the price of the old iPhone data plan. So if you really want to get the extra $5 then explain to them the difference in prices, but to be honest, you are complaining a little bit much if you are considering canceling your contract, as all that you are missing is the speed of your device, not an inability to access the internet or anything.

4. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think 3G should have been advertised as ACTIVE at ALL. Sure, AT&T cannot guarantee coverage everywhere but advertise in anticipation...? Three months?

I don't think that's right.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

It is for 3 months out of a 24 month service commitment, so I do think that it is acceptable.

6. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess it's all subjective. Three months for me is definitely NOT acceptable. One month I can deal with.

7. ibglowin macrumors regular

I would be tickled pink if i were you.

We won't have 3G for at least another year.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The I suppose ATT should refund the bills to everyone in the Omaha, Nebraska area who purchased an iPhone, as they aren't going to have 3G service there until November/December, and even after showing on their coverage map that 3G service ISN'T available there.. :rolleyes:

If you can't deal with them not having it for 3 months (which makes me believe that you're in that area), then 5 - 6 months shouldn't be good enough for the half million people there.

And going by your reasoning, ATT shouldn't advertise 3G until everywhere in the bloody country is covered, no? then neither should T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, or any other provider in any other country, because we all know that 3G isn't available everywhere in their particular country.

BL.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then return the phone.

10. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Again, the main problem I have is that I feel tricked into switching to AT&T just for the iPhone.

While I respect their opinions, I feel that JML and Mindflux's arguments to "deal with it" really places the consumer at a disadvantage. Let's just say I posted this thread to caution prospective AT&T iPhone consumers and expected different responses. :cool:

11. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think that's my argument. I'm arguing that AT&T should only advertise 3G service in my area starting November 15. And for other parts of the country begin advertising when they begin activating their 3G towers.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Tricked? It was your CHOICE to buy the iPhone, not deception. There are people who knew before hand that 3G reception was poor in their area, or better yet, knew that it wouldn't exist in their area for months to a year or so after the iPhone came out. There is nothing that ATT can do about it except work hard to get 3G in their areas. That is all they can do for you. If don't like it, return the phone. 3G isn't the be all/end all for the phone, but if it is for you, you'd be better off without it, and someone else can enjoy their iPhone experience with your phone.

BL.

13. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I have to say I agree with the OP here. No cellular companies should be allowed to advertise that they have 3G in a certian area if there is no 3G coverage in that area when the maps come out. They should use a different color and say say service area coming soon or something. People have relied on those maps to make there decision on whether or not to buy the iPhone only to realize after they buy the phone that the map was not accurate and they have to wait 3 months to get 3G. And 3 months is what they say now that could easily be stretched to 5 or 6 months. Is that still acceptable?

14. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

sigh...

sometimes I can never understand the reasoning of some members of this forum.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That sounds reasonable.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You are well within your rights to return the phone IMO. However, what you may want to consider whether its worth the trouble of returning it and going somewhere else to activate another phone.

If you decide to keep it then just negotiate to pay the 2G service price until its active. The $25 credit might bring you close to that actually.

17. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Yes but his "choice" to buy the phone was based on inaccurate maps that say there is 3G in his area now when it wont be there until November 15th. If AT&T knowingly but out Maps that said there was 3G service in an area now and they knew that area would not have 3G service till November isn't that deceptive.

18. vega07 thread starter macrumors 65816

Another problem is that I'm already too attached to my iPhone!! :eek:

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

This is right-off the AT&T website:

"Map may include areas served by unaffiliated carriers, and may depict their licensed area rather than an approximation of their coverage. Actual coverage area may differ substantially from map graphics, and coverage may be affected by such things as terrain, weather, foliage, buildings and other construction, signal strength, customer equipment and other factors. AT&T does not guarantee coverage. Charges will be based on the location of the site receiving and transmitting the call, not the location of the subscriber. Your phone's display does not indicate the rate you will be charged."

20. Hooka macrumors regular

Hooka

AT&T is the worst

There is no doubt in my mind that AT&T is a horrible mobile phone company. Most of you are confusing the issues with the fact that Apple has gotten into bed with them. It's like your friends girlfriend that you don't really like. Well same thing is happing here.

21. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Thats Crap!! AT&T covering there a$$. Basicly means the whole 3G map is worthless and they can say there is 3G coverage where ever they want then if its not covered just refer to the discliamer. You guys think this is OK? Really?

22. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea, they should have something saying these maps may not be accurate and to call for specific information...

That being said, I think that them offering to give you the money that would cover 3G added costs (25-30 dollars) is a good solution. I guess you could get out of your contract, but there will be no compensation. You'll just have no ETF. So do you want the iPhone? I'm assuming you do because you bought it. I'm going to be on my college campus with no 3G for 6 months!!! But I am just sucking it up because the other 18 I'll have 3G are going to be great :p

23. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

AT&T is the worst? Based on what? Your anecdotal experience? :rolleyes:

While the lack of 3G in a particular area is frustrating, it is your responsibility as a consumer to do your homework before making such a purchase. I already gather that they advertised a 3G network in your area, but as was posted, AT&T cannot guarantee coverage. I think the $25 offer was generous on their part, because they could've easily done nothing.

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Yea... But that's not the point.

They don't do it to "decieve" people. There are a lot of things that go into cellular cervice. Maybe from information getting from the people constructing the towers, hooking it up to the cell network, getting it legit with AT&T corperate and then getting it to the web developer... some information was put up prematurely. THAT'S why they have a disclaimer. They can't ensure that doesn't happen. Especially with their network! Probably caused by a dropped call! ;)

25. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

I think it's fine, because if I didn't have the service and I was unhappy with it, I'd take my business elsewhere. caveat emptor.