AT&T + FAN + Unlimited + Subsidy RANT!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sonmi451, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Sonmi451 Suspended

Since att is getting rid of the subsidy, and not discounting our plans proportionally, we are essentially having our plans increased by quite a bit. If I switch to a mobility plan (2 lines) I go from $118/month to about $100 a month but I lose my unlimited data for 5 GB and I lose about half my subsidy. So I'm losing $20 of subsidy a month, and my unlimited is gone.

How is this remotely acceptable? If I keep my current plan I keep unlimited but lose a $450 subsidy every year so that's even worse.

I will never go to Sprint but if Verizon is cheaper and I can get a discount I may consider switching.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I do not think Verizon is cheaper. Unless of course you get a bigger discount with them through your employer.

3. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I agree with Verizon not being cheaper. Our business discount with them went from 23% to 16% a couple of years ago. With AT&T, it has stayed at 25%. Of course, that's not to say that your discount will be as small, but I would say they probably decreased most of them.

4. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

So what is everyone else doing? Just switching to a mobility plan and dealing with the increase?

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Personally I'll be cancelling my unlimited data line (ETF free due to the $5 increase in Feb), taking my 6s and going with a prepaid option like GoPhone @ $40/mo or Cricket @ 35/mo.

6. ToroidalZeus, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Most people already switched over and either didn't realize they were paying more or got screwed by getting an iPhone after the unlimited plan was discontinued so the new plans were a better deal.

Long story: Unlimited was discontinued in 2010 (IIRC?) After that AT&T had the 2GB/$25 and 3GB/$30 plans. So people that wanted to use data got completely screwed. AT&T then came out with these new shared data plans. For people like us on unlimited--and could calculate the value of the subsidy--it was clearly a bad deal. For people on 2GB/3GB plans, they had the option between getting a usable amount of data or keeping subsidy. Most switched over the MSV. So that's what happened.

Sprints unlimited plan is very expensive and Verizon doesn't offer it anymore. T-Mobile offers unlimited but it's 140 for 2 lines, it's a fair deal but not better than for you because you get a FAN discount on AT&T.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

It does not matter if it is acceptable. It is the way it is and all the carriers are doing the same. Go check out Verizon and you will see they are not much better. Want cheaper go to t-Mo, but you get what you pay for.

8. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

I don't mind giving up my unlimited plan, I'm just annoyed I'm getting a worse deal with less data than before. I am getting unlimited talk and text even though I don't need that. Even the data rollover is only good for a month. I really dislike ATT right now.

9. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That is generally going to be true with anything - your cable bills go up every year for no reason, utilities, gas, insurance etc. The only way to push back is to use market arbitrage and go to someone cheaper. When you do not have the leverage to go somewhere else (cable) or don't bother - corporations have no reason to sweeten the pot for you.

10. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

You can do the new promotional unlimited everything plan for 100 for first phone and 40 for your 2nd line. Your FAN discount comes off of 60 dollars for the plan only and you have to sign up for or already have DirectTV or u-verse.

11. Sonmi451 thread starter Suspended

While this this may be true, that hasn't necessarily been the case for me personally. Most utilities have not gone up more than a small amount over time. Insurance generally goes down as you age, but as you purchase nicer cars it may fluctuate. Cable bills haven't been too bad over the years and a lot of people already cut the cord. Cellular is a tough one to get rid of. And in no other situation have I seen a 20% increase in monthly charges for worse services for anything I can remember. I expect some fluctuation and increases, but this sucks when there is no other option.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    My FAN discount is only 21% and I think it's only off the main plan, and doesn't include the additional line as far as I can tell. I'll look into it though but I'm really looking to cut the unlimited at this point and find a cheaper plan.

12. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

Sounds like the mobile share value plan 15gb would be your best bet and bring your own phones. Of course upgrade time will be expensive, or you will be forced into the NEXT. Unfortunately it looks like all the major players with decent signal nationwide are all headed that direction.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 14, 2016 ---
    We can look on the bright side, with all the NEXT plans coming down the pipe, companies like Gazelle etc should have some good quality used merchandise for us to pick from in the next few cycles

13. ahipoke macrumors newbie

Two of my 4 lines have grandfathered UDP. Not too happy about the $5 increase, but leveraged that and the end of the subsidy to get a substantial statement credit and an early upgrade to a 6S.

In due time, I'm jumping over to MetroPCS (T-Mobile MNVO) unlimited for $60/mo.

14. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You are better off just going onto T-Mobile directly. They are offering 180 for 4 lines of unlimited right now i.e. $45 per line. That's a better deal than even the old AT&T unlimited plans because of the price increase and lack of subsidies.

The MVNOs don't get full bandwidth.
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/prepaid-carrier-performance,news-21331.html

15. ahipoke macrumors newbie

Good to know. Thanks.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

17. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Is T-Mobile unlimited data plan Full speed 4G LTE unlimited or only 2GB of 4G LTE and than they give you unlimited 2G speeds?

18. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

You have to first disable BingeOn but after that it's normal LTE speeds until 21GB. FYI you also want to have a 6S or 6S+ with T-Mobile because of band 12 support.

19. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Hey, don't you have 4 lines of unlimited data with ATT and a FAN discount?

20. macdave2 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of opting out of my contract next month and taking my iPhone 6 to a go phone plan at $55 a month for 5 gigs of data as long as you're on automatic payments. I've tried to find out if this work but haven't gotten a straight answer from the store reps.

21. ToroidalZeus, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016

ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

5 lines; 2-UDP, 2-2GB (used to be UDP), and 200MB + 25% FAN. It would be $260 a month with price increase. If I had unlimited everything It would be 280 a month after price increase.

T-Mobile is charging me $220 a month (+fees I think??) for 5 lines of unlimited. It's cheaper off the bat. I am also getting 5 unlimited lines instead of 2 unlimited, tethering and unlimited minutes (which kinda doesn't matter cuz of rollover but ya). Lastly they gave me $350 in port-in credit per line switched so $1750 total. Basically a $73 discount per month for the next 2 years. So our net cost is going to be something like ~$180 for the next 2 years.

Interestingly enough that ~80 a month savings is equal to 4.74 subsides and I lost 5 subsides.

22. charleliso macrumors newbie

I'm just annoyed I'm getting a worse deal with less data than before.[​IMG][​IMG]

23. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

I'm as frustrated as the rest of you all. I've been with ATT wireless for over 10 years and have always been happy with them until now. This major screwing of their customers sucks. But for me in NH, there are no other options that offer a better deal and still offer decent service.

I actually have paid for my phone outright in 2015 to upgrade from my 6 Plus which was the doggiest phone ever. I am lucky that I have in laws that purchase all my phones, iPads, etc. and they pay top dollar. I keep my electronics in top condition cause I like them that way. It's a win win for both of us.

I would jump ship quickly if there were a better option for me.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The whole point is that all the carriers are moving away from the subsidy thing. We know it was coming months ago. For now on you can pick the carrier that gives you the best plan.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, 3 out of 4 lines are on unlimited.
    But now that none of the 4 lines are getting a subsidy is pointless to stay with AT&T.