Carrier AT&T Full Price Preorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Runt888, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

I'm currently on a no-contract AT&T plan and have been trying to decide if I want to risk getting pre-ordering a T-Mobile phone and hoping that it's actually going to be unlocked. After talking to an AT&T rep it seems like AT&T will allow pre-orders of full price iPhones 6's.

My chat:

You are now chatting with Crystal F., an AT&T sales representative.
    KG: Hi Crystal
    Crystal F.: Hi! Welcome to AT&T Online Sales Support. How may I help you with placing your order today?
    KG: I actually have a question about pre-ordering an iPhone 6
    Crystal F.: Great! KG, I can definitely help you with
    the iPhone 6 Pre-order questions!
    KG: I'm currently on a no-contract plan, and apparently Apple isn't selling full-price phones unless you go to their store and wait in line. Will I be able to pre-order a full price phone tonight from AT&T? I don't care if it's unlocked, I will be keeping my plan with AT&T.
    Crystal F.: Absolutely! You will have that option to order through AT&T for a full retail price new Iphone 6 or Iphone 6 Plus!
    KG: Great, that's all I needed to know!

2. bobright macrumors 601

I am in the same exact boat Runt. I don't know wether to take a chance on that tmobile version or just go with AT&T. I am scared to go with AT&T for some reason something is telling me I wont get my device until a week later whereas with Apple i've ordered before and its usually on my doorstep at 1PM. I want to know if were guaranteed a delivery date on launch day.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Serious question...
    If you know you are going with AT&T anyway (and you mentioned you;re on a no contract, presumably with AT&T), why not just hop on Next if they force you to and just pay the thing off immediately?

AT&T's website has been notoriously unable to handle the demand on iPhone launches. Only reason I mention it.

4. duaneu macrumors 6502a

I've always bought my phones from Apple. Never had any luck with AT&T's website on preorder nights. I wanted to buy full price too, but that's not an option on Apple's site. Last year I got the T-Mobile version of the 5s (which was unlocked and works fine on AT&T despite all the confusion you read about in the other threads). This year I'm going with NEXT. It doesn't lock you into a new contract, no interest, and you pay exactly the same as buying it full price up front. And you can just pay off the balance early - no need to keep making monthly payments unless you want to.

5. bobright macrumors 601

How quickly can we pay it off? And I wonder how much increase my first bill would be depending on the Next plan

6. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Can you explain this to me? I have my data share plan that i want to keep, how will this affect that and how would i do the pre-order?

7. oceanwest macrumors newbie

you an pay it off after two billing cycles, take the full price of the phone and divide that by 20 (for the next 12) or full price x 24 for (next 18) to get your monthly extra cost for next.

It is a ZERO % NO FEE LOAN.

You just have to pay sales tax on the full price of the phone at checkout.

8. bobright macrumors 601

Ugh seriously we need to wait 2 billing cycles? I don't want to go this route then

9. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

how do you do this through apple.com pre-order without renewing a 2 year contract or changing your current plan?

10. nostresshere macrumors 68030

11. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Whats the difference if you pay it off now or pay it off within 2 months?

12. duaneu macrumors 6502a

It's right there on the website. Just go through the steps. You can go practice right now...just pretend you're buying a 5s.

13. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

If i do it with NEXT, will that phone i receive be locked or unlocked when i put my sim card it in?

14. duaneu macrumors 6502a

It will be locked. As soon as you pay off the balance, they will unlock it for you.

15. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

so ill have to get a new sim card until i pay it off?

What the difference in doing it this way or with the T-mobile unlocked one?

16. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

That's the route I've decided to take. Don't trust at&t to have my preorder available on launch day. Will be paying it off as soon as i'm allowed to do so...

17. mjschabow macrumors 65816

18. duaneu macrumors 6502a

No, you would only need a different SIM card if you were going to use it on a different carrier after it's unlocked.

The T-Mobile one would be unlocked and work with any GSM carrier, including AT&T.

19. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

This may sound silly, but how would it know my sim card when i put it in the phone 6 if its locked? I have an unlocked 5s right now.
    Is there any other difference/advantage between the t-mobile and next other then spreading out the payments on next? if i change my mind for any reason i can still return with 14 days?

20. duaneu macrumors 6502a

It's locked to AT&T. It will work with any AT&T SIM. It won't work with any other carrier's SIM until it's unlocked.

And yes, you have 14 days to return it for a full refund.

21. Runt888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm currently on a contract free shared plan, with 5 phones and a couple iPads. So if I sign up for Next, does my plan change at all? Once you pay off the phone, do you need to cancel Next?

22. mgb1120 macrumors 6502

Thanks for answering all the questions! Do you need to CNL Next or once you pay it off its not on your account?

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Immediately. Like literally you call AT&T up from the store (if you want) and pay it off. If anything they will prorate the bill for a single day. Not a huge loss IMO.

----------

Good deal. They will allow you to pay it off right away. Unless they magically change something with this new iPhone (I know for a fact you can immediately pay off other devices).

----------

If you are on a contract free plan, the plan doesn't change. All Next is is an interest free payment plan on your phone. You will decide, at purchase, if you want next 12 or 18 (in your case it doesn't matter much). Techinally your bill increases by the following simple equation: Price of phone / 18 [or 24 depending on what you pick]. If you pay the phone off, that "increase" is dropped.

I do believe you are required only to pay sales tax on day one. The only slight caveat with Next if you are paying it off is you either must make monthly installments or you must pay it off in full. You cannot put, say $300 towards the device.

Hope that made sense. I really wish they didn;t even allow next for the old plans. It is never the more economical way to go and all it serves is to confuse customers.

24. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Next is not stricly a "thing". Once you have paid the phone in full, any posible way it effected your monthly bill will be completely negated.