AT&T got burned in the Keynote

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 226896, Jun 8, 2009.

1. 226896 Guest

Both with MMS and Tethering, when the slide came up with all the carriers supporting those features, AT&T were not on there. Then Scott announced MMS would be coming to AT&T later in the summer, and the audience's groans were priceless.

AT&T must be pissed right now.

2. dagomike macrumors 65816

Why?

3. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

They have no reason to be pissed. They are the flagship carrier for the iPhone and can't support a feature that's already been implemented on hundreds of other phones. Embarrassed is a better term.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They didn't get burned, they're not mad and they will have MMS and tethering so what's the problem?

People will have to wait a bit longer to get MMS and tethering, we've waited this long, what's a little longer?

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. bry223 macrumors regular

The issue is, they're one of the biggest carriers in the US, and they're being out-done by just about every other iphone carrier outside the US. There is NO EXCUSE what so ever to not have this implemented on 3.0 launch, how long has the 3.0 software been in development for? For such a huge corporation, they sure don't know what the hell they're doing.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

And for the simple fact to remove the opt-out feature? They should have done this a month ago.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just wait a little longer and you'll get MMS, sorry but I'm not seeing the problem here. I don't care if their the one of the biggest carriers or if other carriers has it before them. Its not like they said they'll not support MMS, just that they'll have it ready at the end of the summer. Big whoop, whats another 2 months.

9. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

This is how I look at this situation, if I was Apple and I exclusively used AT&T for my product they BETTER have all the feature's ready for when MY software came out... They are supposed to have a contract but yet AT&T is falling behind again... It doesn't matter if it will be late... They should have it ready PERIOD.... Even before we heard about 3.0 in March, your telling me apple and AT&T didn't get together and discuss what would have to be done so this could launch... I just find it sad that they seem to not want to work with apple and blow them off. If AT&T doesn't get their act together apple might go somewhere else...

Now as for the new iphone, a lot of customer want the MMS and teathering... With that being said I could see a lot of customer's NOT buying the new iphone until these feature's are good to go.. That will hurt AT&T at first......

They need to get there ducks in a row and get this crap done...

James

10. bry223 macrumors regular

You don't see the problem? It is a problem when you're not ready to support features in a launch for your biggest flagship phone and everyone else is, it's a blunder, more or less like someone else said an embarrassment.

11. bigchief macrumors 6502a

There's a good chance they will have it on 3.0 launch. But there is a chance they will not so why promise if you don't know for certain that you can deliver. You can't turn a big ship on a dime.

Some of you sound like a bunch of whiny 7 year olds.

12. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I thought it was pretty obvious that Apple isn't too happy with AT&T right now, and rightfully so. I couldn't care less how AT&T feels, fact is most other carriers have sufficient networks to provide these features.

Between this and the Slingplayer issue I'm willing to bet Apple is fed up with AT&T, but T-Mobile is 10x worse. I hope they bite the bullet and add a CDMA model, get rid of exclusivity, and offer the iPhone on all US carriers next year.

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

You guys seem to have forgotten that Apple never cared for MMS in the first place and wanted everyone to use email instead.

14. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

There was also this other line by Schiller:

15. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

AT&T can make it up to us..... by including tethering for the same price as we are paying now!!!

16. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Embarrassment is releasing a phone in 2007 without MMS in the first place.

17. bobsentell macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

Give me a break...seriously

Outside the US, the coverage areas are a lot smaller. It'd be different if the US had 8 different carriers with smaller coverage areas like Europe has. This is nothing new. Apple chose AT&T because of hardware compatability.

As for AT&T not knowing what they are doing they made $3.2 Billion in profit in the 1Q of 2009, how much did you make? Contrary to what you believe, corporations exist to make money, not bow to the whims of a few whiny iPhone users. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

You fanboys need to show a little patience.

18. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

hahah I totally agree... but it doesn't mean AT&T can't join the suckwagon. Way to go people, MMS fail, Tethering fail....what's next? another server meltdown come June 19th?

19. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

AT&T may be smugly sitting and thinking of how great they are, how much they can (likely) charge for tethering over and above the already large $70/mo bill, etc.

BUT...

You know they are secretly worried because the day that Apple isn't tied contractually to AT&T, so many people will jump ship it will result in a huge blip in the massive AT&T stock price. I, for one, would jump back to Verizon if they had the iPhone and AT&T could bite me (and I really do hate Verizon too, but at least their service works and works well).

So, AT&T, you may rule the roost right now, but prepare to taste dirt when your exclusive contract with Apple dies-out. And people will celebrate and dance in the street on that day...

20. samab macrumors 6502a

You guys are going to get mad either way.

For people whose carriers are not on the list, they get mad for lack of support.

For people whose carriers are on the list, they get mad when they see the extra cost --- for example O2 is charging 15 pounds a month for iphone tethering.

http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=20276

21. samab macrumors 6502a

What has AT&T been outdone?

Look at the wired.com iphone worldwide speed survey --- AT&T tied for 3rd place in the whole world. Look at the other iphone carriers --- some have secretly crippled the 3G speed to 384 kbps, some have idiotic 250 MB a month data allowance...

Aside from a time-limited special price by Canada's Rogers (with a 6 GB a month data allowance for the 3G iphone) --- nobody else came close to AT&T's regular 5 GB iphone data plan.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I disagree. No more embarrassing than releasing the iMac without floppy disk drive, only that they caved in and made MMS available after 2 years when everyone should be using email to send photos. Why should they cater to technology backwards users with no smartphone data plan?

23. mikey28 macrumors 6502

24. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

Sure there are excuses - some of them may be good ones. Some may be considered compelling reasons rather than excuses.

We just don't know what they are.

25. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

We don't know that that wasn't due to AT&T's strong-arming. Since AT&T supports MMS on pretty much every other phone (and has for years), it's not a capability thing.

Bottom line, probably, is that AT&T knew and knows that a buttload of iPhone users are going to send a ton of MMS messages as soon as they can, flooding the network, whereas very few people ever send them from other phones due to it being less "accessible". So, they canned MMS for years and now are taking their sweet time allowing it, all because their network capacity isn't as good as it should be.