Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
I didn't have to choose apple already had the voice and text options selected, I only had to reselect my unlimited data plan.

Same with me. I was never given an option to select anything except my unlimited data plan. My text plan defaulted to $10 for 1000 messages according to my order summary from Apple.

Joe Siegler

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Garland, TX
I ended up pre-ordering through AT&T. I would have preferred going through Apple directly, but given the Apple site would have radically changed my options based on what I was offered, I didn't want to )_(%+@ my grandfathered stuff. So I went through AT&T's site, and appear to have kept everything.

We'll find out next Friday, I guess. :)

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
though it'd be nice to keep your plan, Id imagine it really wouldn't be so bad to be bumped to the unlimited plan as it now includes unlimited mobile to mobile calling, which is what most calls are these days

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
though it'd be nice to keep your plan, Id imagine it really wouldn't be so bad to be bumped to the unlimited plan as it now includes unlimited mobile to mobile calling, which is what most calls are these days

Yes, it would be so bad. That is 15 USD per month over 2 years for a service that people do not want. I'd call it a disaster.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
The Apple Store recognized that I have the unlimited plan but not my $5/200 text plan. I didn't want to risk picking Pay Per Use and forfeiting my text plan, so I ended up ordering from AT&T. The AT&T site didn't specifically show my text plan, but it didn't require me to specifically pick Pay Per Use, so I felt a little better about ordering it from there.

I would have preferred to order from Apple though, because they always seem to have better stock.

I recommend that when the phone arrives, don't perform any automated activation until you call AT&T first to confirm that your intention is to keep your old text plan.

vahighland

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Atlanta
Does AT&T have a live online chat customer service feature to ask?
Yes they have online chat, but you have to log onto your At&t account normally. The Online Chat link is on the right side of the page. I don't recall seeing Online Chat during the 4s ordering process.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Call

I just called AT&T, as I couldn't get the order to process and keep unlimited data and 5$ messaging online, either at apple.com or AT&T.

Calling att they said all would remain the same, 5$ messaging and data no issues. they just need to code it properly.

I DID get the name of the CSR and will dispute any changes.

Only real downside with AT&T ordering is possibly the returns policy and the 9.99$ shipping charge

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Ordered thur apple.com and was able to keep unlimited Texting and Data, and voice plan, so no trouble here?

bo9877

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I just called AT&T, as I couldn't get the order to process and keep unlimited data and 5$ messaging online, either at apple.com or AT&T.

Calling att they said all would remain the same, 5$ messaging and data no issues. they just need to code it properly.

I DID get the name of the CSR and will dispute any changes.

Only real downside with AT&T ordering is possibly the returns policy and the 9.99$ shipping charge

This was my experience as well. I got through to a CSR within 9 minutes (tell the system you'd be happy to participate in the customer satisfaction survey!) and explained to her that Unlimited Data continued to be an option but 1500 texts was not. Within 10 minutes she worked it on her end and placed the pre-order with all plan options remaining the same as before. I too had to pay $9 shipping though.

I do find it crappy that AT&T's website tells people that unlimited data and grandfathered text plans "aren't compatible" with the iPhone. That seems to me that they're intentionally trying to deceive people. All of us here are savvy enough to know that those options are indeed compatible, but not everyone is as touched in the head as we are. :D

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I'll just dispute the 9.99$ shipping charge

Since it wasn't necessary on the att.com website and their website wouldn't let me order directly.

----------

I think the only plan that people are EASILY able to continue to maintain by purchasing through the websites, is the 5$/200 messaging plans. that seems to require either a call to ATT or a perfect unlimited data plan upgrade. Which doesn't seem to work on the apple site, and doesn't seem to work with some legacy iphone plans.

the unlimited iphone data plans are EACH coded differently. There is a 2G iphone unlimited code a 3g/3gs unlimited data code a 4G unlimited data code and apparently a 4gs unlimited data code.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
I must be one of the lucky ones then.
I am on the Apple site right now with the preorder and when I entered my information, all my grandfathered plans were automatically included. I didn't have to do anything.

deadstockmarket

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
I too have the $5, 200 text messaging plan from AT&T and had no option to renew that plan when trying to order from AT&T's website last night. I was only given the option for $20 unlimited or 0.

I then tried ordering from Apple and it gave me the option to retain my 200 messaging plan.

If you have one of those plans that are discontinued, I'd recommend going through Apple. It automatically inputs whatever plan you had previously.

LeeRod

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Michigan
I was using the $15 for 1500 plan. I ended up just going with the unlimited for $5...which I probably should have done a long time ago. THere are some months I don't come close to 1500, and some months I have to hold back so I don't go over.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
nope

I too have the $5, 200 text messaging plan from AT&T and had no option to renew that plan when trying to order from AT&T's website last night. I was only given the option for $20 unlimited or 0.

I then tried ordering from Apple and it gave me the option to retain my 200 messaging plan.

If you have one of those plans that are discontinued, I'd recommend going through Apple. It automatically inputs whatever plan you had previously.

unfortunately, mine didn't. It didn't work on the apple site or on the iphone app, there was only a selection to move to pay per message or 20$ messaging, no NONE and no continue with current messaging plan. That's what I don't really get, why so much variance with users. Of course there are so many algorithms of users, when they signed up, plan, location, timing, contract term, etc., etc., but still it should have allowed it to continue

deadstockmarket

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2010
unfortunately, mine didn't. It didn't work on the apple site or on the iphone app, there was only a selection to move to pay per message or 20$ messaging, no NONE and no continue with current messaging plan. That's what I don't really get, why so much variance with users. Of course there are so many algorithms of users, when they signed up, plan, location, timing, contract term, etc., etc., but still it should have allowed it to continue

Sorry man. You might want to preorder at an AT&T store. I'm sure they can set you up.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005

Sorry man. You might want to preorder at an AT&T store. I'm sure they can set you up.

I simply ordered by calling 611, took about 10 minutes total, only downside was they apparently charge 9.99$ shipping which makes no sense.

jhuang

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
I went abroad this summer and put my account on hold, and when I came back my 1500 messaging plan was gone - anyone have problems with grandfathered plans after freezing their account temporarily? I'm trying to figure out if I have a case to argue w AT&T, because no way in hell would more than 1000 messages a month, ever.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I simply ordered by calling 611, took about 10 minutes total, only downside was they apparently charge 9.99$ shipping which makes no sense.

I have no idea how AT&T figures out their pricing. My upgrade eligibility said "eligible for upgrade with $18 upgrade fee blah blah".

When I checked out on AT&T's site, I was never charged the $18 (and got free shipping).

mcgroarty

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I called AT&T again. This time I got a native english speaker, and he was aware of the problems people are having with grandfathered text messaging plans.

The new rep says that whether I order online or on the phone, and whether it's from Apple or AT&T, I can't select the grandfathered plan during checkout. He said I can get my grandfathered $5/200 plan again by calling AT&T immediately after activating the new phone.

The rep said so long as they can verify I had the plan before the upgrade, there should be no issue. (ie, no trying to get back in if you didn't already have it, of course.)

I went ahead and ordered from store.apple.com and it still lists an October 14th delivery date. Other than time wasted on hold... no harm done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.