AT&T Grandfathered Users On 4.3

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Loves2spoon, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Anyone else update to 4.3 and met with a message saying to call or goto website to setup personal hotspot?

I knew it probably wouldn't work but thought I'd upgrade and give it a shot...

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It wont work. You'd probably need to pay for tethering and change your data plan.

3. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Yea, I know - never going to happen. Just crossed my fingers and updated... lol

4. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

So, if I understand correctly, it seems this personal hotspot feature is not going to be useful to folks on the UL AT&T data plan (that is, if we intend on keeping it -- which I do)?

I know there's the JB route; but I haven't gone down that road.

5. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I don't see any reason to downgrade. Everything is working fine, not seeing any errors.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes. I doubt they will let you have it with the UL plan.
    Unless you jb Offcourse:)

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

It's pretty stupid imo. I have unlimited on my data plan currently and if I were to get the one with tethering, I would lose my unlimited and drop to 2GB max. wth?

If I want to drop the tether, I cannot have my old unlimited anymore, I'd be stuck at 2GB.

Good going AT&T. While I still have my unlimited, I'm racking up 2GB of data per day on your 3G network.

8. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

If AT&T wants us to give up unlimited data just to get the hotspot function, they are sorely mistaken. I won't.

9. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

to hell with AT&T ...

I'm keeping my JB unlimited & just to piss in their cheerios I'm going to go download a movie now.

10. Loves2spoon thread starter macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Anyone else purposely using 3G instead of wifi just to use up more data than usual? lol

I make sure I use as much as I can every day, I plan on getting my money's worth out of AT&T! I will never pay extra for tethering...

11. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I don't do it on purpose but since I have unlimited I don't care if I'm on wifi or 3G for most things. I use 3-4GB/month without trying.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

most of my data usage.. like 95% is from online radio streaming @ 128-192kbps. These rack up 1-2GB a day from 8 hours at work.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I doubt there would be any bugs. Mainly because Apple already used a iPhone OS 4.3 flavor at Verizon's presentation, so it is expected that the OS is running smoothly.

Now, there may be some "surprise!" bugs in there that can only be caught with developers poking and prodding the OS.

Been there & done that. AT&T made me angrier when I downloaded the freaking movie in less than 30 minutes.... We are talking about Shrek 3 here.... directly from iPhone's iTunes App.

14. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

we should have a national everyone who has unlimited use as much data as possible day where we all just tether and download as much crap as possible
    that'll show em :rolleyes:

15. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I love internet radio. It plus YouTube. The last 2 months have each used more data than my first 6 months combined. Last month & this month were 21 & 23 GB respectively. That's right, GB. :D

16. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

I have the grandfathered unlimited plan as well. The personal hotspot feature is definitely a plus but I will not give up my unlimited data.

If Verizon offers it with no extra charge, I would consider switching.

I have no qualms with AT&T, I get great signal everywhere I go in Central Florida.

17. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Weiser878

MyWi is one of my "must haves" for why I stay jailbroken.

I honestly tried to do it the "right" way and pay AT&T to tether, but they said I had to drop to the 2GB plan from my unlimited. Screw that noise.

So here I am, doing it the "wrong" way, by JB and MyWi on unlimited

Oh well :p

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its good to be rebellious and Im all for sticking it to the man but Wifi in most cases would be faster than 3G and uses less battery.
    So if I can connect to wifi instead I do.

That's not going to happen.

19. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

I believe they run 4.2.5.