AT&T has different data plan for 4s then for 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by strika2, Oct 17, 2011.

1. strika2 macrumors newbie

i was checking my at&t features and it lists the Data pro plan for iPhone and a data pro plan for iPhone 4s, so i called customer service and i had them change me to the iPhone 4s plan the women on the phone said that the 4s plan allows you to use the faster 14.4 service

2. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Hmm. anyone else able to confirm this?

I swapped SIMs between my existing 4 and my newly added 4S. The 4 had/has unlimited data. The new line which is now the 4 does not. However when I go online to that unlimited line, I see I can choose the unlimited plan for the 4S.

Is there really a difference in data speed?

I have not called at&t about the SIMS switch at all as I don't want to lose the unlimited. Why do I think this other unlimited option is a trick? lol

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Yes they put the phone data plan in a different category. The hspa+ is different than hspa it is as simple as that. I

4. Brett0712 macrumors member

I have a few options as well. Unlimited data for iPhone, Unlimited data for iPhone 4s, and unlimited data for iPhone 4s Enterprise. I have the original one selected as I am kind of reluctant to go changing my data plan in fear that I will lose my unlimited plan. The description of the 4s plan has no mention of faster speeds.

Attached Files:

• att.JPG
      att.JPG
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
  5. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I can confirm this as well. I actually screwed up when i got my phone and put in my old sim instead of using the one it shipped with. By doing that, it kept my old data plan on the account. My data speeds using that plan weren't only slower but the Ping time was significantly slower. As soon as I called customer service (they had to update their billing records to allow me to switch to the 4S plan), my data and ping speeds were superb. Everyone on AT&T with a 4S should make sure they're on the right plan.

EDIT: Just so everyone understands, the 4S plan is an HSPA+ plan while the normal data plans are HSPA plans (that's the reason for the increased speed).

6. Brett0712 macrumors member

Did you have to swap sims to the one that came with the 4s? I did what you did... I had an upgrade on a different line so when i got the 4s, I just took the sim from my 4 and put it in my 4s and I was off and running...

Should I just change the data to the 4s plan or do I need to call and swap sims?

My data is pretty slow as you had mentioned.

7. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

No didn't have to change sims, AT&T just had to update the IMEI & CCID in their billing system to allow for the switch to the 4S plan.

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

So if you have unlimited grandfathered in (like myself), and you get the 4S do they automatically keep you on unlimited and switch it to the hspa+ plan and still keep unlimited grandfathered in? Rather ask here since we all know the store reps are clueless lol.

9. Brett0712 macrumors member

Ok, I'll give them a ring and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help!!

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Hmm. Interesting. I upgraded line 2 activated. Swapped sims so the 4s sim is in the 4

So would I have to change anything?

11. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

When I logged into my AT&T account I saw two different unlimited data plans available. The first was unlimited data for iPhone and the other was unlimited data for iPhone 4S. I wasn't able to switch to the 4S b/c of the errors in AT&T's billing system with my sim card. Once they updated their info, I was able to switch to the unlimited data plan for iPhone 4S with no problem.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

They are getting us ready for bad news when the iP5 comes with LTE:(

13. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Mine appears the same as the options above. I can change from the 4 unlimited to the 4S unlimited, but I'm hesitant to do it w/o calling. I don't want to lose unlimited. heard of too many situations where people lost unlimited due to changes, etc.

14. Ounce macrumors member

I upgraded from a 3GS with unlimited data and ordered through apple.com. I just checked my AT&T account and found that I was automatically upgraded to Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S.

15. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

It is a seperate data plan but you DO NOT have to have it to get the faster speeds. That is a lie. I had the infuse 4G for a while and they kept sending me texts to switch to an eligible 4G plan to get the faster speeds but I was already getting the "4G" speeds. You don't have to change.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had trouble with activation. When they added the data plan, they added unlimited for the 4S. It's location based but for me it's 25 to 50 faster when checked with a speed test.

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Ok cool.... this could explain why some aren't seeing the speeds on their 4S that they should, their pry still on the iPhone plan and not the 4S plan.

18. Brett0712 macrumors member

Right, thats because you activated the new sim that came with the 4s you upgraded to.

Those of us that simply just swapped sims are seeing that the older plan is selected still.

19. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

I can 100%, without question, say that this comment is completely and utterly false. Not only am I experiencing this in real world testing by getting speeds now that I've NEVER gotten on any previous iPhone on speedtests but there is a reason that EVERY previous 3G iPhone (iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4) are all on the same AT&T data plan but the iPhone 4S (coincidentally, the ONLY one with HSPA+ capability) is on it's own data plan in their system. Please stop spreading false information on these boards. Thanks.

EDIT: I should also mention that both AT&T reps I spoke with confirmed this for me.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

you will not lose unlimited. They let you switch between multiple plan "types" that are unlimited.

Right now I know of at least 3 unlimited "plans" you can switch freely between.

Those are blackberry unlimited, HSPA Unlimited and HSPA+ Unlimited. The requirement to keep unlimited is coming from another "plan" that is unlimited.

21. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Well if AT&T reps said it, then it MUST be true :rolleyes:

22. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

No, but add that to the other information I mentioned in my previous post and it simply adds credence to the statement. Taking one little sentence in that post and commenting on it without putting it in it's proper context makes it seem less relevant...which is exactly what you did.

23. flashflooder macrumors regular

Just to add another data point (and perhaps some confusion):

I did a swap with my wife and found myself in the same situation. Tried switching to the 4S plan online and was told my device was ineligible (they still have my i4 in their billing records, which is odd b/c the 4S automatically showed up on my account). Called AT&T, gave them the updated IMEI and had them switch me to the 4S plan.

My connection is now (slightly) slower. My best speedtest with the 'old' data plan was 5.6 mbps.

I'm not really sure what to think.

24. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

I just called to confirm there would be no changes to our monthly bill. There are no changes. Your mileage may vary.

25. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

Do you have HSPA+ available in your area?