Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Anyone notice a difference in signal strength? I am coming from a 4s and have noticed that I randomly get no service when before I didnt have that problem at home. Hope I didnt get a lemon :(

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Once I activated my phone and was off wifi I didnt get a signal...I had to do a hard reset and then it seems I got LTE once it turned backed on and searched for service.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
sitting in my living room I would have 3-4 bars, now I have 1-2 and occasionally no signal :(

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Still having signal problems. I hit the home button, goes to searching, then 1-2 bars or no service :( Apple is booked up for appointments until Monday. Will ATT do anything about it if I bring it in there? I bought it from their store on Friday.

My wife got an i5 too and hers has no signal problems, so I know its just my phone. Blah.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Anyone notice a difference in signal strength? I am coming from a 4s and have noticed that I randomly get no service when before I didnt have that problem at home. Hope I didnt get a lemon :(

The phone will adapt after a few days and you will get your old signal strength back.

I had the exact same issue and it fixed it.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
The phone will adapt after a few days and you will get your old signal strength back.

I had the exact same issue and it fixed it.

Huh? How will it adapt? When I got this email notification my phone lit up, said searching, then found some bars. It seems like its constantly going through that cycle, and this is my work phone.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Huh? How will it adapt? When I got this email notification my phone lit up, said searching, then found some bars. It seems like its constantly going through that cycle, and this is my work phone.

Your phones have adaptive signal processing which adapts to a number of factors over time, it will decide:

1. Which cell tower to use out of multiple nearby towers. It may choose to use one that is farther away but that has a better signal due to line of sight into your office.

2. It will learn how to deal with the signal degredation from the environment. For example if it has a specific type of interfeerence it will learn to filter it out better.

3. It will change the rate power and frequency of it's signal. For example if it know that it looses 1/2 the data it sends it will slow down to half speed and send the data twice each time.

There are many other ways your phone adapts to improve it's signal but those are just the basics.

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Your phones have adaptive signal processing which adapts to a number of factors over time, it will decide:

1. Which cell tower to use out of multiple nearby towers. It may choose to use one that is farther away but that has a better signal due to line of sight into your office.

2. It will learn how to deal with the signal degredation from the environment. For example if it has a specific type of interfeerence it will learn to filter it out better.

3. It will change the rate power and frequency of it's signal. For example if it know that it looses 1/2 the data it sends it will slow down to half speed and send the data twice each time.

There are many other ways your phone adapts to improve it's signal but those are just the basics.

Sorry but a few days to adapt is not so. You phone should do all of the above in less than a second.

abtm

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I have LTE virtually everywhere except where I live which is a bad/lame coverage area at home I get 3 bars of HSPA+

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012

My phone is getting the same number of bars but now shows LTE. I have to admit that the phone is working better than ever, even in poor reception areas. Excellent sound quality with no echo or drops.

Is this just because LTE is better or does LTE require less signal to perform.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I've noticed that the 5 holds on to reception better than my 4S, but when it drops from 4G (no LTE in my area yet) to E, it spent switch back to 4G as easily as my 4S. I've had to turn Airplane mode on and off to make it get back on 4G.

BFW122083

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Atl
Something is definitely wrong with mine, and I can tell because my wife and I have the exact same phone and hers is not constantly searching for signal when waking it up. I have tried turning off LTE too but it does not make a difference.

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2012
GA
My phone is working well and getting pretty good signal almost anywhere I go. This is really good since I live in North Georgia. At home I have a few bars of 4G and down the road I get LTE. I am coming from a Blackberry Torch which would drop calls like crazy. So, all is well here. :D

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yesterday night I lost signal on my 4S and 5 for a couple of minutes and dropped down to Edge as well.

I just assumed it was AT&T working on the tower to launch LTE soon. I hope.

foolycooly

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
I also saw the occasional drop to no signal for a short period after waking up the phone in my house. Haven't experienced it outside yet but would definitely concern me if it continued.

It's on wifi at home an will occasionally have to reconnect after wake up (shows 4G/LTE briefly before going back to wifi).

TMac923

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
Had a horrible experience before the iPhone 5. Had horrible 3G connection. Now I'm getting only LTE and 4G connections. It is has been great so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.