AT&T...Hows your signal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BFW122083, Sep 21, 2012.

1. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Anyone notice a difference in signal strength? I am coming from a 4s and have noticed that I randomly get no service when before I didnt have that problem at home. Hope I didnt get a lemon :(

2. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

I am supose to have LTE and nothing :eek::mad:

3. CH34P3T macrumors regular

I have the same amount of bars as I did with the 4S, but now I have LTE! :D

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Once I activated my phone and was off wifi I didnt get a signal...I had to do a hard reset and then it seems I got LTE once it turned backed on and searched for service.

5. EDiTOR9 macrumors regular

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm actually getting service in some really remote areas that I didn't before. 1-2 bars of non-LTE 4G. Pretty good in my opinion :)

7. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

sitting in my living room I would have 3-4 bars, now I have 1-2 and occasionally no signal :(

8. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Still having signal problems. I hit the home button, goes to searching, then 1-2 bars or no service :( Apple is booked up for appointments until Monday. Will ATT do anything about it if I bring it in there? I bought it from their store on Friday.

My wife got an i5 too and hers has no signal problems, so I know its just my phone. Blah.

9. Radiating macrumors 65816

The phone will adapt after a few days and you will get your old signal strength back.

I had the exact same issue and it fixed it.

10. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh? How will it adapt? When I got this email notification my phone lit up, said searching, then found some bars. It seems like its constantly going through that cycle, and this is my work phone.

11. Radiating macrumors 65816

Your phones have adaptive signal processing which adapts to a number of factors over time, it will decide:

1. Which cell tower to use out of multiple nearby towers. It may choose to use one that is farther away but that has a better signal due to line of sight into your office.

2. It will learn how to deal with the signal degredation from the environment. For example if it has a specific type of interfeerence it will learn to filter it out better.

3. It will change the rate power and frequency of it's signal. For example if it know that it looses 1/2 the data it sends it will slow down to half speed and send the data twice each time.

There are many other ways your phone adapts to improve it's signal but those are just the basics.

12. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Sorry but a few days to adapt is not so. You phone should do all of the above in less than a second.

13. abtm macrumors member

I have LTE virtually everywhere except where I live which is a bad/lame coverage area at home I get 3 bars of HSPA+

14. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

My phone is getting the same number of bars but now shows LTE. I have to admit that the phone is working better than ever, even in poor reception areas. Excellent sound quality with no echo or drops.

Is this just because LTE is better or does LTE require less signal to perform.

15. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Get a Wilson Sleek 4G-V and enjoy LTE where you live

16. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings

This helped me out keeping my LTE on.

17. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I've noticed that the 5 holds on to reception better than my 4S, but when it drops from 4G (no LTE in my area yet) to E, it spent switch back to 4G as easily as my 4S. I've had to turn Airplane mode on and off to make it get back on 4G.

18. Radiating macrumors 65816

Those are examples, it gets much more complex than that. Especially for cell towers you use often.

19. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Something is definitely wrong with mine, and I can tell because my wife and I have the exact same phone and hers is not constantly searching for signal when waking it up. I have tried turning off LTE too but it does not make a difference.

20. EclecticGent macrumors newbie

My phone is working well and getting pretty good signal almost anywhere I go. This is really good since I live in North Georgia. At home I have a few bars of 4G and down the road I get LTE. I am coming from a Blackberry Torch which would drop calls like crazy. So, all is well here. :D

21. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Lte released here last Wednesday. I have great signal north of Seattle. 15mbps download on lte

22. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Yesterday night I lost signal on my 4S and 5 for a couple of minutes and dropped down to Edge as well.

I just assumed it was AT&T working on the tower to launch LTE soon. I hope.

23. tu4thenguyen macrumors member

24. foolycooly macrumors newbie

I also saw the occasional drop to no signal for a short period after waking up the phone in my house. Haven't experienced it outside yet but would definitely concern me if it continued.

It's on wifi at home an will occasionally have to reconnect after wake up (shows 4G/LTE briefly before going back to wifi).

25. TMac923 macrumors newbie

Had a horrible experience before the iPhone 5. Had horrible 3G connection. Now I'm getting only LTE and 4G connections. It is has been great so far!