AT&T In Store Activation Rumors False?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chicagdan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

I decided to do some in-store research about some of the AT&T new iPhone rumors, so I walked two blocks to the Michigan Avenue Apple Store, then two blocks more to the nearest AT&T store.

The Apple Store employee said they hadn't received much information about the new iPhones, but the one thing he knew for sure is that activation would continue to happen via iTunes.

I was skeptical ... but the AT&T store employee told me the same thing ... not much information, but the rumors of in-store activation were false, activation would continue to go through iTunes.

For what it's worth ...

2. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
  3. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Possible. And if you don't activate in say 30 days, you get whacked for the extra $200. Who knows.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

5. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I would take that with a grain of salt as that same rep also told you that they hadn't received much info about the new iPhones. On another note, I went to the store yesterday to pick up a case for my current iPhone and it's a very nice, but I still like the one in Orland Park much better. Gotta love :apple:

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Now, does that apply to new 3G iPhone users or is it the current iPhone users that want to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone? :confused:

7. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

The only reason I am starting to believe these rumors is because of the 30 day activation penalty.

If you HAVE to activate it in the store, why the hell would At&t institute a penalty for not activating after 30 days? How would it even be possible to not activate for more than 30 days?

The concept is like trying to shove a square peg in a circular hole. It just doesn't make sense.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, some folks will just buy the 3G iPhone and turn around and sell it, don't you think? :confused:

9. mazellan macrumors newbie

On the other hand the activations could still go through iTunes...just in the store. Maybe an employee has to enter their employee code this time.

10. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Whatever the exact process is, you will not be able to leave the Apple or AT&T store with a 3G iPhone without signing on for a 2 year agreement. I would expect that a credit check and a credit card will be required.

11. thaprofessor33 macrumors member

I spoke to an AT&T salesman yesterday and he told me that the 3g iPhone will not leave the store until it is activated and paid for.

12. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I don't know the stipulations of the "penalty." I am just saying I can't understand them threatening a penalty for a situation that should, technically, never arise since the device is supposed to be activated in-store.

I think we are just going to have to wait out the official word from At&t. I personally can't believe that the device was OFFICIALLY announced WITH price AND release date on Monday, yet there are still rumors circling it. I can't comprehend how Apple could have a release data and price point set for the WWDC, yet At&t can't get their stuff together.

The vast majority of negativity towards this announcement stems from At&t's dropping of the ball, not Apple. (not including the $30 data; I don't see that as wrong, nor a problem)

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I don't see it as a problem for me, since I qualify for the upgrade on my iPhone to the 3G iPhone. I think this is due to my 2-year contract expiring in about 14 days, and AT&T wants to keep my business. As I stated in another thread, a bump in the data plan is not a big deal with me, but I'm sure it will be for many others. So, I'll head out to the San Francisco, California or Emeryville, California Apple Store and make my purchase on 07.11.2008, all the wiser.

14. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I'm with you 100%. I am just not upgrade eligible, so I am eagerly waiting for finalized information that should have been available on Monday...

15. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

There's absolutely no need to run a credit check for existing iPhone users.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's right CD; I think that applies to all AT&T existing customers as well. :cool:

17. AndyFL macrumors regular

SPECULATION:

Possibly there are 2 steps to the contract/activation process -- ie. something that you have to do in store, whether it be AT&T or Apple Store (credit check, sign 2yr contract on the dotted line, pay deposit, whatever...) combined with the actual iTunes activation at home. Just a thought...

18. iStefmac macrumors regular

That is absolutely ridiculous.

19. agbot macrumors regular

From TUAW:

20. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Never mind ...

http://gizmodo.com/5014909/att-memo-to-retail-managers-shows-iphone-3g-policy

This Gizmodo story makes it pretty clear that both the Apple and AT&T Store employees I talked to didn't know what they were talking about. Interesting stuff from the AT&T memo here ... alludes to the possibility that after you accept the terms and conditions and new rate plan, you might be able to walk out of the Apple Store with a bricked 3G phone and finish the activation at home via iTunes:

21. iStefmac macrumors regular

Absolutely. Everyone has the option for a pre-paid plan with NO contract, on every device.....including the iPhone.

The REQUIRED 2 year service contract was bogus last year and its bogus now.

22. gnortenjones macrumors regular

As someone who has never had a cell phone plan before, could someone explain why AT&T would limit eligibility for an upgrade? Basically a person is asking to give AT&T MORE money, but AT&T is saying "no."

That doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I can think of is perhaps if the original phone is subsidized, but the original iphone wasn't.

23. chicagdan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, it all comes down to the subsidy. AT&T is losing money on every iPhone it sells ... it does that so it can keep making boatloads of money on the contracts and data plans. What they don't want is for someone to keep coming in and buying a subsidized phone every couple months, then the profit on that customer disappears.

24. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Because they figure 'We've got you on the rope for another 8 months anyway, might as well juice you for as much money as we can before we sign you for another two years.'