Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL

I'm going to speculate this ...

AT&T Stores will do everything in-store ... Apple Stores will give customers the option whether to activate in-store or at home. From that AT&T memo, the current iTunes activation process "will no longer be required" but it still exists "in the event that a customer's device is not tethered in the Apple Store."

Maybe, just maybe, existing iPhone customers with a post-paid plan will be given the option of buying and activating at home. That could mean really short lines for us at the Apple Store on day one.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
The only reason I am starting to believe these rumors is because of the 30 day activation penalty.

If you HAVE to activate it in the store, why the hell would At&t institute a penalty for not activating after 30 days? How would it even be possible to not activate for more than 30 days?

The concept is like trying to shove a square peg in a circular hole. It just doesn't make sense.

The question I have is if you just buy the phone how would they know how long it took you to activate it? Unless they require you to give them your current account information when you purchase it which is possible if you have to activate it in the store.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
To clarify in store activation was NOT a rumor. It was said during a press conference from a AT&T executive.

Now whether that still holds true is another issue entirely.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
If the iPhone was released in July 2007, how is your 2 yr. contract expiring in about 14 days?

Good question ... I should add, however, that AT&T's site has always considered my iPhone as upgrade eligible, at least as far as their website is concerned. And our new contract was extended by the iPhone last October.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
I'm going to speculate this ...

AT&T Stores will do everything in-store ... Apple Stores will give customers the option whether to activate in-store or at home. From that AT&T memo, the current iTunes activation process "will no longer be required" but it still exists "in the event that a customer's device is not tethered in the Apple Store."

Maybe, just maybe, existing iPhone customers with a post-paid plan will be given the option of buying and activating at home. That could mean really short lines for us at the Apple Store on day one.
Activation and tethering are two separate things here. Activation is what you pay for, it basically puts the phone on the cell plan. However, tethering is done afterwards. Here, they basically plug the phone in and "unbrick" it. Face it, people. You're not gonna be able to activate through iTunes at home. No more special treatment for buying an iPhone.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
As someone who has never had a cell phone plan before, could someone explain why AT&T would limit eligibility for an upgrade? Basically a person is asking to give AT&T MORE money, but AT&T is saying "no." That doesn't make sense to me. The only reason I can think of is perhaps if the original phone is subsidized, but the original iphone wasn't.

Well, AT&T has you by the private parts when it comes to the 2-year contracts/agreements. You can upgrade your phone once during the 2-years, and usually after 10-12 months into the plan. Basically, if you lose a phone or it's stolen, you are up the creek if you've recently entered into your contract or recently upgraded. You're stuck between buying a phone at "full-pop" or trying to by a phone via CL or eBay outright. Either way you're still tied into your 2-year contract. :(

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
To clarify in store activation was NOT a rumor. It was said during a press conference from a AT&T executive.

Now whether that still holds true is another issue entirely.

It wasn't a press conference, Diode, it was an interview that Glenn Lurie gave to Gizmodo. The leaked memo that appeared today on the same site is the second piece of confirmation and I now believe it's a fact.

But that memo also seems to make clear that the in-store activation will only be REQUIRED in the AT&T store, that it will be an option in the Apple Store. But we need some clarity on that matter.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
was there a credit check for the 1st gen iPhone? I don't remember...but if there is a credit check for the 3G iPhone then that really sucks because i don't have any credit at all. any ideas on how i would go about that?

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
If the iPhone was released in July 2007, how is your 2 yr. contract expiring in about 14 days?

I've been with AT&T (Cingular) over 4 1/2 years, and I did not have to renew my contract with AT&T when I bought my iPhone at "full-pop" I just popped-in the SIM card from my phone and activated the iPhone on iTunes, thereby avoiding an upgrade or contract renewal. :cool:

rolex54

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
Houston, TX
was there a credit check for the 1st gen iPhone? I don't remember...but if there is a credit check for the 3G iPhone then that really sucks because i don't have any credit at all. any ideas on how i would go about that?
you would most likely fail the credit check and they would not let you get the iPhone, there is no pay as you go on this iPhone

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
I don't know any more than any of you. The only thing I do know is that I am fighting against the current of the speculation vortex, and it is tiring.

I do have one thing to say though, and I may catch flak for it, but so be it.

I would like to extend a big, hearty THANK YOU to the entire Unlocker community. Your hard work at helping people use the phone on networks it wasn't supposed to be on is very much appreciated by all of us that "followed the rules." :rolleyes:

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
SPECULATION:

Possibly there are 2 steps to the contract/activation process -- ie. something that you have to do in store, whether it be AT&T or Apple Store (credit check, sign 2yr contract on the dotted line, pay deposit, whatever...) combined with the actual iTunes activation at home. Just a thought...

That seems like the only logical way to do an in-store activation on the iPhone. Unlike any other phone, iPhone users have the ability to restore their phones at home so you would then be forced to go into the AT&T store to reactivate you phone if you had any issues or after any software update.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It wasn't a press conference, Diode, it was an interview that Glenn Lurie gave to Gizmodo. The leaked memo that appeared today on the same site is the second piece of confirmation and I now believe it's a fact.

But that memo also seems to make clear that the in-store activation will only be REQUIRED in the AT&T store, that it will be an option in the Apple Store. But we need some clarity on that matter.

The source of everything was this press conference held the day of the iphone announcement. If you watch the video Rick Lindner (Senior Executive Vice President and CFO of AT&T) specifically mentions in store activation for Apple and AT&T

I have not been following the issue so this might have/has been changed. Or the Rick Lindner was reporting bogus/mis-informed information ....

I was just merely pointing out that in store activation was not originally a rumor but came directly from top brass at AT&T.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
No, in store activation is not a rumor and is true. Att reps have already been asked this multiple times from different sources.

Engadget:

"UPDATE: And you will be required to activate your phone at the store. From AT&T spokeswoman Sarah Andreani:

When customers purchase their new 3G iPhone, customers will activate the device in the retail store. This is the traditional wireless activation model that our customers are very familiar with. In-store activation should take just a few minutes and customers will be able to leave with their iPhone up and running. This will be especially helpful if any questions or issues arise during activation."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-purchase-and-activation-will-be-in-store-only/

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
No, in store activation is not a rumor and is true. Att reps have already been asked this multiple times from different sources.

Engadget:

"UPDATE: And you will be required to activate your phone at the store. From AT&T spokeswoman Sarah Andreani:

When customers purchase their new 3G iPhone, customers will activate the device in the retail store. This is the traditional wireless activation model that our customers are very familiar with. In-store activation should take just a few minutes and customers will be able to leave with their iPhone up and running. This will be especially helpful if any questions or issues arise during activation."

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-3g-purchase-and-activation-will-be-in-store-only/

I don't really mind that, as long as I don't need to take it in after every software update or restore I may have to do.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
SPECULATION:

Possibly there are 2 steps to the contract/activation process -- ie. something that you have to do in store, whether it be AT&T or Apple Store (credit check, sign 2yr contract on the dotted line, pay deposit, whatever...) combined with the actual iTunes activation at home. Just a thought...

This is kinda how they have done it on other phones. I bought my first phone from Buy.com and they did a credit check or something online. It was subsidized ($50 instead of $300) so the same kind of deal was going on.

AT&T is going to highly regret not doing iTunes activation somehow when lines are REALLY long and they lose non-iPhone customers. Just keep my credit card on record and whack me with a $300 penalty if I don't activate within a month.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL

Engadget:

That quote conflicts with the Gizmodo AT&T leaked memo. So I think there's still some confusion on this issue. It's clear that AT&T stores will require in-store activation, but the leaked memo indicates that at least some customers should be expected not to activate in store if they purchased at the Apple Store. Unless the leaked memo is a fake.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
That quote conflicts with the Gizmodo AT&T leaked memo. So I think there's still some confusion on this issue. It's clear that AT&T stores will require in-store activation, but the leaked memo indicates that at least some customers should be expected not to activate in store if they purchased at the Apple Store. Unless the leaked memo is a fake.
Do you seriously believe that they would make you activate at one place but not the other? That completely defeats the purpose, and everyone who would unlock would just buy it elsewhere. If they're gonna lock down the system, they're gonna lock it all down. Not just half of it.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
This is kinda how they have done it on other phones. I bought my first phone from Buy.com and they did a credit check or something online. It was subsidized ($50 instead of $300) so the same kind of deal was going on.

AT&T is going to highly regret not doing iTunes activation somehow when lines are REALLY long and they lose non-iPhone customers. Just keep my credit card on record and whack me with a $300 penalty if I don't activate within a month.

I honestly don't believe that the lines are gonna be as long as people are making them out to be, but then again stranger things have happened.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
The source of everything was this press conference held the day of the iphone announcement. If you watch the video Rick Lindner (Senior Executive Vice President and CFO of AT&T) specifically mentions in store activation for Apple and AT&T

I have not been following the issue so this might have/has been changed. Or the Rick Lindner was reporting bogus/mis-informed information ....

I was just merely pointing out that in store activation was not originally a rumor but came directly from top brass at AT&T.

Thanks for sending the link, but I'm not going to listen to the whole one hour, 15 minute webcast to get the precise quote. Did you? I really just want to nail down whether the leaked memo is accurate and if so whether than means Apple Store policies will be different from AT&T store policies.

chicagdan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
Chicago, IL
Do you seriously believe that they would make you activate at one place but not the other? That completely defeats the purpose, and everyone who would unlock would just buy it elsewhere. If they're gonna lock down the system, they're gonna lock it all down. Not just half of it.

It depends on what the purpose of in-store activation really is. Why would they have a non-activation penalty if it were possible not to activate? AT&T has stated that a lot of their customers want to be able to use the phone immediately. If that's the purpose of in-store activation, they fulfill it by having that done in AT&T stores while Apple Store customers would just have the option. No one at AT&T has stated that the purpose of in-store activation is to stop the unlocking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.