Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

AT&T Insurance to Cover Cracked iPhone Screens Starting November 15

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Insurance plans offered on a monthly basis from AT&T will soon cover cracked screens, according to recently updated information on AT&T's website (via AndroidPolice). Starting on November 15, AT&T customers who have an iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, 6s Plus, or SE and an eligible insurance plan will be able to pay $89 to have a broken screen repaired.

A limited number of Android phones are also eligible for screen repairs, but notably missing is Apple's most recent iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices, perhaps due to repair costs or the availability of parts. AT&T warns that repairs may use new or refurbished parts and could include non-original manufacturer parts.

The new cracked screen repair option is available to customers who have Mobile Insurance, Mobile Protection Pack, Mobile Protection Pack for Business and Multi-Device Protection Pack service. According to AT&T, same-day screen repairs will be available in most cases and are done by Asurion-certified technicians. All repairs include a 12-month warranty.
This will give you the opportunity to get your screen repaired as soon as the same day. You can file a claim in the morning and, if approved, schedule an Asurion-certified technician to repair your cracked screen as soon as the same afternoon, subject to appointment availability.
AT&T's screen repair program comes shortly after AT&T raised its device replacement costs across the board on September 1. The program is launching in 15 markets on November 15, including San Diego, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Orlando, Los Angeles, and Boston. It will expand to 29 additional markets on December 1.

Mobile insurance from AT&T is available for $7.99 per month and covers damage, loss, theft, and out-of-warranty malfunctions. The $89 screen repair option will be a welcome change for many iPhone owners with AT&T insurance, as replacement iPhones (iPhone 5 and later) are priced at $225 and up [PDF].

Article Link: AT&T Insurance to Cover Cracked iPhone Screens Starting November 15

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Screen replacements could include non-OEM parts? That sounds like a warranty fiasco looking for a place to happen if you later try to get the device serviced with Apple.

Save yourself the hassle of another add-on monthly fee on your wireless bill and just buy AppleCare+, folks.

Reactions: darth.sham
Comment

Justim

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2011
Why do iPhone users bother with carrier insurance? It's so expensive compared to Apple Care. The only benefit I see is lost and stolen protection.

Comment

joshwenke

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
I would really recommend AppleCare+ instead. I sent my iPhone 7 in and within 30 minutes they had a replacement phone for me on the way. The whole process took just 2 days and only cost $140.

Comment

freediverx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2006
Instead of wasting your money on yet another crappy service from a wireless carrier, just sign up for a Wells Fargo Visa card. The no annual fee credit card automatically insures your cell phone, at no cost, provided you pay your monthly wireless bill using the card.

Coverage may include up to four cell phones as listed on your wireless cell phone bill. The cellular telephone is protected against damage or theft for up to $600 per occurrence and $1,200 per 12 month period, with only a $25 deductible per incident.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/features/cell-phone-protection/

Compare this to AT&T's offer, which costs $96 per year plus an $89 deductible per incident.

Last edited:
Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Instead of wasting your money on yet another crappy service from a wireless carrier, just sign up for a Wells Fargo Visa card. The no annual fee credit card automatically insures your cell phone, at no cost, provided you pay your monthly wireless bill using the card.

Coverage may include up to four cell phones as listed on your wireless cell phone bill. The cellular telephone is protected against damage or theft for up to $600 per occurrence and $1,200 per 12 month period, with only a $25 deductible per incident.

Plus you get the added benefit of possibly having new accounts opened in your name.:rolleyes: There are positives and negatives to all of these services.

Comment

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I have had AppleCare in the past and I find no use for it personally. If you have a decent case and tempered glass screen protector then that's your insurance right there. I see it good for those who uses thin cases and/or run the device naked. I doubt I will ever buy AppleCare this time around and I'm good with the AT&T insurance.

Comment

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA

Compare this to AT&T's offer, which costs $96 per year plus an $89 deductible per incident.

I logged in just to thank you for posting this. I've had a credit card with Wells Fargo for years and had no idea! I will be cancelling my wife's SquareTrade warranty and not going through T-Mobile and having to deal with Assurant if anything happens. Thank you!

EDIT: Any T-Mobile JUMP on Demand customers be warned! Wells Fargo's coverage does not apply to rented or leased phones. So I'm SOL but my wife can benefit at least. I ended up getting 1 year of SquareTrade instead.

Last edited:
Comment

ElRojito

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2012
I bet they bring an ESD mat, too. JK. They probably don't know what ESD stands for.

Comment

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011

Neato. And I probably already have a credit card with Wells Fargo even though I never signed up for one!

Reactions: myscrnnm
Comment

darth.sham

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Screen replacements could include non-OEM parts? That sounds like a warranty fiasco looking for a place to happen if you later try to get the device serviced with Apple.

Save yourself the hassle of another add-on monthly fee on your wireless bill and just buy AppleCare+, folks.
Especially now that screen repairs on Apple care+ are only $29.

Comment

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
This is a pretty bad deal, I'd rather pay $129/$149 without AppleCare to get a OEM screen than AT&T which states they may use non-original manufacturer part. From my experience those screen are significantly different compared to the ones Apple uses. With AppleCare+ no contest, AT&T's insurance plan is pretty bad especially with the disclaimer.

Reactions: Moorepheus
Comment

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
No thanks. I'd rather shell out the money for AC+. I have never been a fan of carrier insurance plans even dating back prior to smartphones.

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Too expensive. $89+$8x12=$189 after 12 months. $129+$29=$158 w/d Applecare+. $149 out of pocket.

Or $129 + $0 = $129 if you DON'T have either Apple care + or AT&T.

(If you have 2 screens cracked - $258 without insurance, $218 with Apple Care +, $278 AT&T)

Only if you get something that is NOT a cracked screen go wrong, only THEN are the insurances worth it

Comment

zubikov

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2014
PA
This is an insanely bad deal!!!

If you estimate that you'll crack a screen 1X every 2 years, a brand new screen at an Apple store will cost you $149/24 = $6.20/month.

OR...you can pay AT&T $8/mo AND have the privilege of paying an $89 deductible for the same thing, effectively making it $11.70 a mo if you expect new screen every 2 years. You literally have to be insane to know both prices and still prefer to go w/ AT&T warranty. They are ripping your face off with this one.

Comment

OriginalClone

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Exactly cuz when that 1 yr warranty is up is AT&T gonna replace your device if something goes wrong. Also with AC+ cracked screen is only $29
Yes. I've gotten brand new replacements with my ATT insurance. Last time I used it they replaced my 64gb 6 with a 128gb because they didn't have the 64 in stock. Paid $99 deductible because I didn't use it in a little over a year.

Edit: sorry. Misread your post. If something goes wrong with device you'll either have to file a claim or get a new phone. Same as when any other device is out of warranty.

Last edited:
Comment

freediverx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2006
Plus you get the added benefit of possibly having new accounts opened in your name.:rolleyes: There are positives and negatives to all of these services.

The banks are all crooks in their own way. Just keep an eye on your accounts.

I've been with Wells Fargo for over 10 years and have never had an issue with them.
[doublepost=1476735481][/doublepost]
I logged in just to thank you for posting this. I've had a credit card with Wells Fargo for years and had no idea! I will be cancelling my wife's SquareTrade warranty and not going through T-Mobile and having to deal with Assurant if anything happens. Thank you!

Just be aware that Wells Fargo's coverage caps at $600 per incident, which won't cover the full replacement cost of a top of the line iPhone. But given the low deductible, zero premium, and the fact that most iPhone repairs don't end up requiring full replacement cost, I still think it's a good deal.
[doublepost=1476735580][/doublepost]
This is an insanely bad deal!!!

If you estimate that you'll crack a screen 1X every 2 years, a brand new screen at an Apple store will cost you $149/24 = $6.20/month.

OR...you can pay AT&T $8/mo AND have the privilege of paying an $89 deductible for the same thing, effectively making it $11.70 a mo if you expect new screen every 2 years. You literally have to be insane to know both prices and still prefer to go w/ AT&T warranty. They are ripping your face off with this one.

AppleCare+ is no bargain either, considering the high recurring costs, high deductible, and the fact that it doesn't cover theft.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.