Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Didn't see this posted yet...from AT&T site: EDIT: And what is iTunes radio usage for the iphone?

iPhone International Data

While using data on iPhone is free within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, International data roaming can get expensive quickly. Consider that just 20 minutes of iTunes® radio takes 20MB of data. That's why AT&T has created two iPhone International packages with more reasonable rates in 29 countries*.
There are two packages available:

$24.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 20MB** of usage within 29 countries*
$59.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 50MB*** of usage within 29 countries*

AT&T offers these iPhone International traveling tips to help you keep control of data.

*Discounted countries include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan. These countries are subject to change. Please view DataConnect Global "Select" countries for an accurate list.

**20MB Plan:
Overage rate is $.005/KB within the 29 discounted countries.
Rate outside these 29 countries is $.0195/KB.

***50MB Plan:
Overage rate is $.005/KB within the 29 discounted countries.
Rate outside the 29 countries is $.010/KB except in Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Belarus, Bolivia, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Brunei, Chile, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Macau, Macedonia (former Yugoslavia), Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates (UAE), and Venezuela where the rate is $.0195/KB.

Please Note:
1MB = 1024KB
$.0195/KB = about $20/MB
$.010/KB = about $10/MB
$.005/KB = about $5/MB

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/i....jsp?WT.svl=calltoaction#iphone-international

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
AT&T International iPhone Data Plan, iTunes Radio

AT&T has announced new international data plans for iPhone users who are looking for a more affordable alternative than data roaming (other than swapping out for a local carrier's SIM).

* $24.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 20MB of usage within 29 countries
* $59.99 iPhone International Data Package gives you 50MB of usage within 29 countries

The 29 countries mentioned include Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan.

AT&T cryptically mentions that "iTunes Radio" can use up data quickly (1 MB/minute) as one of its reasons for offering the service. However, "iTunes Radio" currently does not exist on the iPhone, leaving questions as to what was meant by the reference.

Article Link

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Streaming radio on my iPhone?

Yes, please. :) I'd love to listen to the local college radio with it - along with a reggae station that I like.

... maybe there will be a 3rd party app after the SDK in February to record streaming radio?

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
New Software update

A new Software update for iPhone to come which would include the radio channels we have on iTunes already. A shiny new icon on the iPhone! Could it be true??? :D

Also, are these prices in addition to the $20/month I am already paying on the iPhone AND do I need to sign up for another contract for this?

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Sweet, it sounds like we'll be able to stream internet radio to our phones. I just hope it works over EDGE, that would be hot.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Not bad...although a better plan would be if you could "pre-purchase" a block of international data usage. Load up your phone before you leave. (otherwise, it would a lot of activating and deactivating assuming you aren't traveling constantly)

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Sweet, it sounds like we'll be able to stream internet radio to our phones. I just hope it works over EDGE, that would be hot.

Streaming audio over EDGE? I wouldn't count on it, but I'll gladly stream it through WiFi, for now.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Apple is releasing iTunes 7.5 next week, and every month there is apparently a new iPhone firmware update. Maybe iTunes Radio will be a new application on the iPhone, time will tell.

rafdesign

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
Apple doesn't talk to AT&T

Sounds like Apple and AT&T are really not listening to each other...
Like this morning, I went to the Apple store in Santa Monica. AT&T told me that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because it's not working properly. So Apple will be kind to replace the 4GB with a 8GB... so the Apple store manager, Mr. Jeff W., said it wasn't true! So I called right back AT&T and they said it was true... But the manager repeats it's not true. Very Kafka scene... So I am back with my 3rd 4GB iPhone... The Apple manager even offered me to buy an 8GB model for the old price of $599!!! That made me not very happy. Can you believe that AT&T confirmed me twice that the 4GB model has been discontinued because it's full of flaws. But Apple denies! Do the test yourself call AT&T...
And I was one of the first to get an iPhone at the store. Crap :(

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
Sounds like Apple and AT&T are really not listening to each other...
Like this morning, I went to the Apple store in Santa Monica. AT&T told me that the 4GB iPhone has been discontinued because it's not working properly. So Apple will be kind to replace the 4GB with a 8GB... so the Apple store manager, Mr. Jeff W., said it wasn't true! So I called right back AT&T and they said it was true... But the manager repeats it's not true. Very Kafka scene... So I am back with my 3rd 4GB iPhone... The Apple manager even offered me to buy an 8GB model for the old price of $599!!! That made me not very happy. Can you believe that AT&T confirmed me twice that the 4GB model has been discontinued because it's full of flaws. But Apple denies! Do the test yourself call AT&T...
And I was one of the first to get an iPhone at the store. Crap :(

I don't buy that ... plenty of people have the 4gb iphone and it works fine.... it was discontinued because it wasn't as popular ....

I also don't trust phone companies...

CBraun53

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
some guy on these forums was saying he used to stream his slingbox player over edge ....

that would be me, and yea I used slingplayer on my treo 650 on sprint's slow network. Video was decent, but if you turned the video off and just wanted the audio then it worked great, so you could stream radio to the iphone.

rafdesign

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
call AT&T

I don't buy that ... plenty of people have the 4gb iphone and it works fine.... it was discontinued because it wasn't as popular ....

I also don't trust phone companies...

If you don't trust that story and own a 4GB model, just call AT&T '611' today.
But I agree with you that in the end I don't trust the phone companies, neither Apple anymore.
Rafael, a mac user since 1986.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
If you don't trust that story and own a 4GB model, just call AT&T '611' today.
But I agree with you that in the end I don't trust the phone companies, neither Apple anymore.
Rafael, a mac user since 1986.

no, its not that i don't trust you.... i don't trust ATT, and don't believe what they're saying ....

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
that would be me, and yea I used slingplayer on my treo 650 on sprint's slow network. Video was decent, but if you turned the video off and just wanted the audio then it worked great, so you could stream radio to the iphone.

well hello again :D

rafdesign

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2007
Let's start recording our AT&T customers services 'experiences' and make a website with a collection of those "Most funny american AT&T jokes"..

btw, am I the only one complaining about my iPhone?! I love Apple products (usually).

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007

Can you give us any info on the quality, or kbps while streaming audio over EDGE?

If this could work, I'd be a very happy camper. I wonder how this would affect battery life. I'd assume it would drain it a little faster than just playing back audio stored on the phone, since it would be using network resources, as well.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
maybe ATT is being way to technical and their reference to "radio" is the actual GSM/Edge radio chip in the iPhone not Internet radio as we all assume it is.

So really what ATT could be saying is that 20min of accessing iTunes through the GSM/Edge radio = 20MB of data

I am still holding out for iTunes Radio on the iPhone though - I would love to see that feature. Not to mention it would really mess with the music labels saying that iPods success is somehow dependent on the availability of their music and videos through iTunes.

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
THEY'VE UPDATED THEIR SITE, It doesnt say anything about Itunes Radio anymore!!!!! Either it was a huge typo on their part, or theyre admitting that they let the cat out of the bag about something HUGE and apple made them take it off!!!! so exciting

now all it says is:
"While using data on iPhone is free within the U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, International data roaming can get expensive quickly. That's why AT&T has created two iPhone International packages with more reasonable rates in 29 countries*.
There are two packages available"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.