Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rstansby

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Technical specifications can't just "change" on a whim. EDGE/GPRS uses the GSM radio to download data thus negating ANY possibility of being on a phone call (using the GSM radio) while simultaneously loading data. Obviously this would kill the idea of an iTunes radio on EDGE.
Now of course you can receive a phone call while you have Safari OPEN and NOT loading data.

Thats one of the benefits of '3G' UMTS/HSDPA in that you have separate channels for voice and data and both can be used simultaneously.
Even with a 3G iPhone, I can't Imagine AT&T would be encouraging constant streaming of radio on the iPhone. That part baffles me.

Just because you can't download data while making a call doesn't mean that the phone can't pause the download when you receive a call. I don't care if my web page continues to download while I'm on the phone, as long as the call doesn't go straight to voicemail.

CBraun53

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Can you give us any info on the quality, or kbps while streaming audio over EDGE?

If this could work, I'd be a very happy camper. I wonder how this would affect battery life. I'd assume it would drain it a little faster than just playing back audio stored on the phone, since it would be using network resources, as well.

I can't remember the kbps but when it was just audio, it was pretty much flawless. When I had video playing for the first minute or two it would be very choppy but then after that it would steady out and the quality was decent. But again, when I turned the video off and it was just streaming the audio, the quality was very very good.

In terms of battery life, it drained my treo pretty quickly. I used slingbox to watch penguins games (hockey) which usually last about 2 hours and 30 min and my battery would be pretty much fully draiend after it. But that was with video, I am assuming it would have lasted longer if it would have been only audio.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, while using it I could not recieve phone calls, but being able to watch the games on the go was worth it for me. If the iTunes Radio can stream the penguins radio broadcasts I will be very happy. I'll be happier if slingbox comes out with Slingplayer for the iPhone.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Just because you can't download data while making a call doesn't mean that the phone can't pause the download when you receive a call. I don't care if my web page continues to download while I'm on the phone, as long as the call doesn't go straight to voicemail.

You are correct in theory that the phone could close the data connection and receive the phone call, unfortunately however, this is not the way it works on the iPhone. I don't know if that is a technical problem with the radio technology or just lack of implementation. Obviously the inability to have a data connection and voice connection simultaneously wouldn't be a big deal if it was just a matter of being unable to download data while talking on the phone. Even the 'iTunes radio' would be work just fine. But having calls route directly to voicemail while using the internet is a total deal killer.
I brought this point up many times in discussion about the iPhone lacking a 3G/UMTS radio, but everyone was focusing on the speed difference versus EDGE instead of this point which I feel it much more important, especially with the much enhanced experience of using data services with the iPhone.

I actually wonder how many people know that they are not receiving phone calls when they are using the internet... I bet its easily under half....

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
ha, I think rogers has you by the balls...
Most data users yep, not myself thankfully, I've wheeled and dealed my way into some awesome services.

$100/month for very minimal data plus a 3 year contract attached to the data plan alone is a just pain in the arse for many users.

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
2 Quick things.

1 - Audio over EDGE works, and works well, even for 128K Streams.

2 - Some phones on the AT&T network pause data for incoming calls, some do not. It seems on some handsets that firmware upgrades solve the issue and allow incoming calls.

I know these 2 things because I wrote SiriusWM5 which allows streaming of Sirius Satellite Radio both at standard 32K and 128K. I used it daily, for at least 6 hours per day on my Windows Mobile phone prior to purchasing the iPhone.

On my site where the application is available for download (for free) I track user statistics, and one of those stats is whether or not they can receive calls while streaming. A large majority can. The audio pauses, the call comes in, then the audio resumes after the call is completed. There have also been many instances where firmware upgrades enable this on phones which previously could not receive calls while streaming.

I'll know the answer for the iPhone once the SDK is out, as streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC 24/7 to do it will be a priority.

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
2 Quick things.

1 - Audio over EDGE works, and works well, even for 128K Streams.

2 - Some phones on the AT&T network pause data for incoming calls, some do not. It seems on some handsets that firmware upgrades solve the issue and allow incoming calls.

I know these 2 things because I wrote SiriusWM5 which allows streaming of Sirius Satellite Radio both at standard 32K and 128K. I used it daily, for at least 6 hours per day on my Windows Mobile phone prior to purchasing the iPhone.

On my site where the application is available for download (for free) I track user statistics, and one of those stats is whether or not they can receive calls while streaming. A large majority can. The audio pauses, the call comes in, then the audio resumes after the call is completed. There have also been many instances where firmware upgrades enable this on phones which previously could not receive calls while streaming.

I'll know the answer for the iPhone once the SDK is out, as streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC 24/7 to do it will be a priority.

I don't understand... Are you streaming sat radio from a receiver to your phone? for use with headphones while you work or something?

"streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC..."
Why would a PC be involved?

AHHHHH :eek::eek: lol

jtaylr77

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2004
What is strange is why would ATT mention anything about charges etc if it was using WiFi? Seems like it could be over EDGE or a 3G feature to come with v2.0

bitslap47

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2007
I don't understand... Are you streaming sat radio from a receiver to your phone? for use with headphones while you work or something?

"streaming Sirius and XM on my iPhone without having to run a PC..."
Why would a PC be involved?

AHHHHH :eek::eek: lol

Currently, the only way to stream Sirius to an iPhone is to run Orb and uSirius on a PC/Mac somewhere, then connect with your iPhone. The reason is that Sirius and XM only stream form their sites over the internet in Windows Media format (asf) which the iPhone cannot play... therefore it has to be transcoded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.