All iPads AT&T iPad working with T-mobile 4G LTE!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CollinFX45, Apr 3, 2013.

1. CollinFX45 macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Been browsing for a while, but decided to sign up after some mild success this morning. I just thought I'd post and let people know that I decided to try out a T-mobile prepaid SIM in my iPad 4th Gen today (AT&T version which has the AWS band) and to my surprise, I saw the LTE icon for T-mobile! I have been using it on AT&T for a while, but I really want to drop AT&T as their prices aren't great for data. Anyway, can't speak to the Verizon version (which apparently supports international LTE much better), but I can confirm that a non-jailbroken iPad 4th gen from AT&T works fine on T-mobile. Just for kicks, I turned off LTE and tried it on their HSPA+ and that worked fine as well. I'm in San Jose and I guess I'm one of the lucky seven cities for their LTE service, but again HSPA+ worked fine.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I know it's somewhat of a "carrier" topic, but just thought I'd share the news as I searched high and low for this information and found nothing before I tried it out. Happy to be a guinea pig :)

-Collin-

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It must be that T-Mobile just turned on LTE in your area. The chip in it already supported the AWS frequency.

3. CollinFX45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, they did last week I think. And I just got the T-mobile SIM this morning to try it out as an experiment. Pleasantly surprised of course. There's a lot of discussion about getting the iPhone 5 to work on the T-mobile LTE band, but I read zero posts about the iPad. Anywho, back to some speed tests :)

-Collin-

4. ramram55 macrumors 6502

wonder how the monthly charges are from t-mobile ? any 3 days deal ?

5. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I also have the AT&T 4th gen and I live in the East Bay. Good to know there are choices, although I'm on a mobile share plan with 5 devices so it is only costing me an extra $10 a month for my iPad.

6. CollinFX45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Monthly charges:

1.5GB for $25
    3.5GB for $35

I did the 3.5GB just to try it out.

The AT&T mobile share plan is okay too, but I plan to drop AT&T when the contract is up in a few months.

-Collin-

7. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

We need a unlimited data only tmobile fo $50

8. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Seems to me that all of T-Mobile's unlimited data plans have throttling after X number of GB each month.

9. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

I was not throttled on my iPhone 4 unlimited 3G data and unlimited hotspot. Once I switched to the iPhone 5 I was throttled, I had to change my plan from the $49 per line to $59 per line (w/8% discount) to get back my unlimited data unthrottled. I'm not sure how these no contract packages work. What does tmobile consider high speed data? 3G? 4G? or just LTE?

10. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

It's the same in Houston too. I'm getting LTE on both my Note 2 and my at&t ipad mini.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Did you have to change the APN or anything get LTE to work on the Mini?

My nano sim will be here later today and I am going to be using T-Mobile on my Mini.