AT&T iPhone 4 replaced in UK? Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfrik, May 18, 2011.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Guys,
    I have a black AT&T iPhone 4 but now I am in UK for a business trip. My volume buttons are not working since 2 weeks now. If I go to Apple Store in London, will they replace it with the factory unlocked iPhone 4? Because obviously they don't sell AT&T iPhone 4 here in the UK and they don;t have any replacement in stock?

I've been wanting to replace my phone back in the States but I might try my chances while I'm here in the UK. What do you guys think? What phone will I get as a replacement if I try to talk with the Genius here at the Apple Store UK?

Thanks and I appreciate any input.

2. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Short answer, NO.

Your iPhone warranty is only valid in the region where you purchased it. Since you have an AT&T iPhone, your warranty is only valid in the USA.

Dave

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

4. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Apple give like for like
    Your new handset will be locked to AT&T too.
    If it's not locked straight away it will be when you sync with iTunes.

5. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wrong, iPhones have international warranties. So you CAN get a replacement in the UK it will be locked to AT&T though. I travel heaps and have had Apple replace my products in countries different to the place of purchase.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Are you sure about that, there used to be a sign at the Genius Bar in the Bullring Apple Store saying they only provided warranty for UK iPhones?

7. iJays macrumors regular

the products mentioned include an iphone???

8. fm2503 macrumors member

fm2503

I'm a UK resident, and when my iPhone4 died whilst on the West Coast USA 2 weeks ago the Genius bar in the Bellevue Apple store replaced it for me. It took about another 10 minutes as they had to unlock a phone from AT&T and then re-lock it to O2UK, but otherwise it was the normal excellent Apple service.

9. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

Thanks for the response guys. Well, I guess in the end I'm going to have to have the AT&T locked version of the iPhone.

Interesting to know that Apple have such capabilities to unlock and re-lock their replacement phones inside Apple Store.

Yeah I guess I have to try my luck to the UK Apple Store.

Do you guys think that Apple will be so kind to leave the iPhone unlocked if I requested so? :D

Thanks again

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    The carrier properties of your current phone will be passed down to the replacement when they enter the serial in their system.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow, that's pretty cool!

12. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am surprised that nobody has reverse engineered this ability that apple has yet.