AT&T iPhone 4S is 2x faster than the others!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GarytheiPhonema, Oct 7, 2011.

1. GarytheiPhonema macrumors member

GarytheiPhonema

My wife and I were going to order the Sprint version tonight after prayer group but now we may have to keep AT&T. Apparently it is two times faster than the Verizon and Sprint ones! So hard to decide. Do you think this is true or am I save switching to Sprint? It's sure making a rodeo of my brain! :confused:

http://www.bgr.com/2011/10/07/att-our-iphone-is-better-than-your-iphone/

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I am going with at&t because I hear it has better in-door reception...and you can talk and surf at the same time (not sure if this still applies to the 4S).

And at&t is reliable in my area.

Unless you truly care about speed it really doesn't matter. I personally am going with at&t for the above reasons.

3. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Yes that article is correct IF you live in an area with good coverage that won't be congested by thousands of users accessing that same data. AT&T theoretically will have faster speeds. We won't be able to test until the 14th.

4. psblake macrumors member

All depends on the area In my town Att is way faster than verizon and I do use the talk and surf mode quite a lot. I am sticking with ATT as well.

5. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

If you have access to wifi almost everywhere, then this wouldn't matter at all. You will download at the same speed and you will be able to talk and surf at the same time (on wifi).

6. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

It's potentially faster. However, Verizon and Sprint have lower pings than AT&T, so the quick connection establishment may offset whatever advantages the IP4S version of HSPA+'s potential top speed for a lot of Safari browsing.

7. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

All things being equal, the AT&T network will be much faster than Verizon or Spring on an iPhone. 2X faster is probably a real-world value, theoretical difference is much greater (like 4.5X faster, if you get an AT&T cell with a really fat backhaul pipe).

In my area, I find that to definitely be true. I have decent signal for both AT&T and Verizon (not Sprint though) and the AT&T data rates are significantly, consistently faster.

Of course, if AT&T signal is weak in your area, or if they don't have 3G where you live, then your results will be completely different. I visited friends in Northern Indiana a couple months ago and AT&T signal was EDGE-only, no 3G - so my Verizon USB modem gave me decent data rates, but my iPhone crawled.

When choosing a Wireless carrier, there is no "universal truth".

8. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Yup. When I'm home in the city, nothing beats AT&T. At my office in the burbs, even with 3G and an -80dB signal, it's a different story.

9. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

IF being extremely key here.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes ATT is faster when comparing the three with a strong signal. This is well documented.

However, in my area, you get out in the middle of no where and you have no signal with ATT and therefore completely unusable. Unfortunately many of many family members reside in the middle of no where, so for me I have to go with Verizon. Slow service is better than No Service.

It's the tortoise and the Hair....