Carrier AT&T iPhone 7 Upgrade - Contract

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iThink Apple, Sep 7, 2016.

1. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Hi!

So my 2 year contract ends September 19th and i wanted to see if I would be able to order the new iPhone 7 this Friday and sign a new 2 year contract....I currently only see AT&T Next upgrades.

Thanks!

2. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Hello!

AT&T doesn't offer contracts anymore, so nope.

You're welcome.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

That's your best choice. Contracts ended long ago. Next is pretty much the same thing.

4. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

except your bill stay the same and additional fee for paying off the new phone.

5. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Thanks everyone! Quick questions....

But what I don't get is that if I get Next, I pay every month and i end up paying for the full phone price, correct? Where as before, I was only paying $400 since i was getting a 2 year contract. Does that make sense?

What is the best option and why? (See screenshot)...AT&T Next Every Year or AT&T Next. Also, I want to get a new phone later, I have to return my old one, correct? So I can't sell it anymore? Before, when i was selling my old iPhone, it was basically almost paying for the new one.

*Note that I am on a mobile share plan with 2 other iPhone lines.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

6. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Unless you were on a mobile share plan, then you get a discount on your line fee

7. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

with a plan for years included a subsidy and now doesn't include one, why price of plan not getting reduced.

8. pdxmatts, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You would need to get on a mobile share plan
    Because you need to switch it to a mobile share plan from the traditional subsidy plan to get a discount. But, some people are grandfathered or have a fan or employer discount and in that case, it might be better to stay on the plan they have. You have to do the math to see if it is worth it to switch to a mobile share plan or not

9. busterbluth macrumors 6502

Anyone know between At&t Next/every year or apple upgrade program, which is the better option?

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

You get a discount with one of the recent/current plans. The older plans don't really get anything as they are basically something that Apple hasn't offered in some time and weren't even around (as far as what Apple offered) when the whole financing piece was introduced.

11. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat. I had three lines - all on 2 year contracts recently come to an end. Two of the lines dropped $10 less per month in cost. But now I can't justify the upgrade programs. I understand a lot of people don't want to spend $1000 out of pocket, but in my opinion, this is the best option for me. I don't incur any monthly (never-ending) costs and I'm not locked into a contract or "program" of any sort.

I'm only buying a new phone for my line. The other lines on my account are okay with staying on their current phones. In my opinion (which I fully understand doesn't work for everyone), spending $1000 up front makes the most sense.

12. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

so for unlimited data for family plan if I upgrade/get new phone then there isn't any subsidy and ATT is just make more money off me each month.

13. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

They are the same installment type, except that you get Applecare included with Apple and it is a separate bill from your ATT bill

14. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

AT&T's program is slightly cheaper but Apple's program includes AppleCare. That would be a selling point for me. Plus, I give AT&T so much damn money every month already, I'd happily give more money to Apple. I don't know what the fine print is and how you have to abide at the end of the term though.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

Depends on the details of your plan. If it's one of the newer/current plans then you get a monthly discount for getting a financed device or having an owned device (that you buy at full price or get somewhere else from someone perhaps). If it's an older plan then those discounts don't exit for it.

16. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

so your two lines dropped $10 a month after the contract was up. Which plan did you have?

17. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

If I were to go w/ the Apple Upgrade program, does that mean I can upgrade to the iPhone 7 this year, and 8 next year - all based on monthly payments? I.e. if I start Apple's program this year, I pay 41 bucks a month for 24 months and I get an upgrade to the 8 next year as well?

18. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Depending on your plan cost, you can stay on it and not get a discount, or you can switch to Mobile Share and get a discount on your line fee, but have to give up Unlimited data. Most people don't want to give up their UDP

19. humpstyles macrumors regular

humpstyles

Three main options:

1) iPhone Upgrade Plan (ordered thru Apple Store) - includes AppleCare, has to go on a credit card (no debit card), so then AT&T plan is then just data/minutes/etc. Only available in a 12 month plan in order to receive the next iPhone.

2) AT&T Next + AppleCare (ordered thru Apple Store OR AT&T website). AppleCare is paid in full at time of purchase. Monthly Next payments are in addition to standard AT&T bill.

3) AT&T Next + Mobile Insurance (ordered thru AT&T website) Mobile Insurance is a monthly cost on top of next payments. Not as comprehensive as AppleCare.

20. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Yes, after one year, you trade your 7 in and get a new 8 which will start your installment plan over again in order to upgrade every year

21. iThink Apple thread starter macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Ok so just did a calculation....

Here is my current mobile share plan for 5GB per month for 3 lines....I pay $212 per month.

If I get 3 new iphones with the AT&T Next 6GB plan, I pay $238....That includes the 3 monthly payments for the iPhones.

So I better switch to the AT&T Next plan, correct?

Attached Files:

22. bsmith4832 macrumors regular

It's the Family Mobile Share Value plan. When the contract itself expired, AT&T sent me a text stating that a contract has ended and I would be paying less for that line.

I just looked on my account and it was actually a total of $30. I have two iPhones and one flip phone (no data). I'm not sure if it was $15 per line (for the two iPhones) or if it was $10 per line across all three devices. All I know is my bill used to be $223 after all taxes and fees... it's now $193.

23. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

Which isn't unlimited data because they will throttle you but cant hit you with overage charges. These thieves..

24. humpstyles macrumors regular

humpstyles

I realize some info above might not be accurate.

25. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Awesome , thanks for the confirmation.