AT&T - is full price (unsubsidized) AT&T iPhone 6/6 Plus from Apple Store unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoSoVaR, Sep 19, 2014.

1. KoSoVaR macrumors newbie

Hey All,

Just as the title asks.. is a full price (unsubsidized device-only) AT&T iPhone 6/6+ from Apple Store unlocked? Lots of rumors lots of he said she said. Looking for something definitive just like the T-Mobile answer from this post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=19786052&postcount=469

Anyone bought an AT&T iPhone 6/6 Plus as device-only full price at an Apple Retail Store that can test this for everyone? I've searched the forums but haven't found a solid answer with proof.

Thnx

2. CDutch macrumors regular

No but the Verizon phone is and will work on AT&Ts network.

3. erzhik macrumors 6502

All iPhones are unlocked if purchased full price.

4. IpadMania macrumors regular

Without doing anything else outside of purchasing it?

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You will need to reach out to AT&T to get the phone unlocked. Which shouldn't be a problem if you paid full retail price for it and it wasn't subsidized/financed through NEXT.

6. IpadMania macrumors regular

Ok thanks

7. duaneu macrumors 6502a

No, Sprint phones are locked even if you pay full price.

8. importraverxx, Sep 19, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2014

importraverxx macrumors regular

I can confirm, it is not unlock. Submitting an unlock request came back with a message that you are still under contract, despite the fact that you paid full price. Probably need to call ATT to sort it out.

So I called them and a manager there said to check with Apple to see if it's unlock, if not the phone has to be on the ATT account for 60 days before you can submit the unlock request.

Sounds like a fail haha

9. IpadMania macrumors regular

10. erzhik macrumors 6502

Activate your full priced iPhone through iTunes and it should give you a message that your phone is unlocked. If you worry so much about att, get a Verizon, they are all factory unlocked.

11. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Both our AT&T phones from Apple Store are unlocked.

12. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

How did you confirmed they were unlocked?

13. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

Plug it into itunes and click "restore." There will be a message indicating the phone is unlocked.

14. MrOlsen macrumors newbie

My full price 6 plus is unlocked. Just tried with an international sim and its roaming on T-mobile. Was actually expecting that I would need to go through the unlock process with AT&T but it was unlocked right out of the box

15. mrjone macrumors newbie

Unlocked

Hello. I can confirm that my 6 + is also unlocked, without restoring through itunes. I just logged on to my Wifi, and did activate normally. The sim used now is from Europe, and working perfectly.

16. duyvuong macrumors newbie

Hi. Can anyone provide proof that iphone 6 att paid full price from apple store unlocked?

17. Romelo23 macrumors newbie

Purchased 2 full price AT&T 6 pluses and received the "Congratulations Your iPhone is now Unlocked" message when I plugged into iTunes. No restore, no nothing. Just plugged them into iTunes and that scene showed up instantly.

18. -AJx- macrumors newbie

lol No you don't.

AT&T Phones purchased from Apple Store at full price come automatically unlocked at time of purchase.

Purchased from Apple + No contract with AT&T = No reason to lock.

19. RKK macrumors newbie

Unlocked

I purchased iPhone 6 16 Gig from Apple Store at full price, it come unlocked at time of purchase.
    I activated thru WiFi.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Then explain why when I purchased my 5s at full price, I still had to submit an unlock request via AT&T's web site?

21. -AJx-, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

-AJx- macrumors newbie

Did you purchase the 5s without a contract and walk out of the store without filling out any paperwork or identifying yourself? This rule is specifically for the 6 / 6 Plus no contract phones, which allow you to do that.

All 6 and higher phones are unlocked by default when purchased at full price (Contract Free) from any Apple Store. They only become "locked" when you sign a contract that subsidizes the price of the phone for a specific carrier.

That's how it is now, and hopefully, that's how it always will be in the future.

22. DanRyb macrumors newbie

So you guys had no problems walking into an Apple Store and paying full retail price for an AT&T iPhone 6 WITHOUT putting it on an AT&T contract?

I've called 2 stores in Southern California (Glendale and Pasadena) about this because many stores here show stock of AT&T iPhone 6 but not the contract-free T-Mobile one. I was told by both stores they won't sell an AT&T iPhone 6 without putting it on an AT&T contract of some sort. Am I just getting unlucky at this point?

23. tuffigirl macrumors newbie

Never heard of such a thing.... paid full price for mine on launch day. As long as it's an Apple store... AT&T stores won't allow it.

24. Spiffyis5150 macrumors member

Yes, that's what I did when I purchased mine at the Apple Store. I asked for a "device only" purchase for an AT&T iPhone and paid full price for the phone and then walked out. I didn't give any information to them other than the credit card to pay for the phone and a quick show of my license to confirm the credit card was mine.

25. ceaguila macrumors member

I thought you couldn't buy full retail price from the apple store?

I tried and it only gives me two options: ATT next or 2 year contract