AT&T is granting wishes today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SAD*FACED*CLOWN, Jan 11, 2011.

1. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

just called AT&T...I simply asked about getting out of my contract (although I don't really want to) ,how much my ETF would be and lo and behold I was credited for 6 months of "smart limits"(a paltry $30.00) after I indicated I was interested in trying out Verizon's service...just call and ask for "customer retention" normally this dept. won't even talk to you if you have a past due balance but today I was transfered to them right away

2. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I'm very happy with AT&T. My 3GS was terrific. My iPhone 4 sucks, eager for the next gen iPhone so I can dump this one.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I tried. No dice here. But I suppose it depends on who you get.

5. KalashniKEV macrumors member

That's where I'm at... I'm eligible for my upgrade now, but my first two iPhone 4s were bricks back in the month of June. I can get out of my contract soon, but was actually thinking of going Verizon just to get a Droid.

6. Makanmata macrumors member

Wish Denied

My wish today was summarily denied by AT&T. I got my iPhone 3GS from AT&T the day it was released, and I was told that I am eligible to upgrade on February 20. I called and made like I was cancelling for the Verizon iPhone 4, but that I would stick around if I could get my update pushed forward. They would have been willing to upgrade me to any other phone except the iPhone, but they absolutely would not budge on pushing forward my iPhone upgrade date.

If anybody has had any success in this regard, I would be interested in hearing what I am doing wrong.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Weird, I got my 3GS on launch day too, and I was eligible for an upgrade the day the 4 came out.

8. KalashniKEV macrumors member

That's not mathematically possible...

9. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

To KalashniKEV,

You may not consider it mathematically possible, but I did exactly the same thing.

10. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

If you had done some basic searching than you would know that if you meet certain criteria (pay at least x per month), AT&T moves up your eligibility. I bought both the 3GS and iPhone 4 on launch dates at the 200/300 price point.

11. 184550 Guest

I suspect that you would more luck going in store and speaking with an actual representative/ manager.

I know the ATT store I use is usually pretty flexible when it comes to upgrades/ fees/ etc...

Certainly can't hurt anything.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

One word: Motorola Atrix. Well, that's two, but it's twice the phone, haha. Coming to ATT. This phone looks to beat everything on the market.

13. Makanmata macrumors member

I will indeed give that a try and report back if I have better success at the store.

14. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

I got my 3GS 8 months ago and I am not eligible for an upgrade until 2/13/12 and I called today saying that I was switching to verizon and to cancel my contract but they immediately offered me an iPhone 4 upgrade right now so I placed the order for my iPhone 4 from ATT and I hope to get it soon! I'm so happy because they moved up my upgrade time by over a year!

15. UofM Canes! macrumors newbie

Amazing what a little competition will do.

I switched off unlimited data a few months back (totally my bad) and called a few weeks ago about switching back. Multiple friendly reps but no change. They wouldn't do it. I had an email exchange with them nothing. I mentioned my contract expires in february...NOTHING.

I called today and mentioned why I might switch to verizon for the iPhone in february when my contract is up and BAM unlimited data back. Guy didn't even hesitate.

Love it!

16. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Sure is. I got the same deal.

17. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's weird but I too got my 3GS on launch day and was eligible for the iPhone 4 the day it came out. I didn't get it and kept my 3GS though.

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I just got off the phone with AT&T right now and did exactly what you did. I only mentioned Verizon once to the first gal I spoke to and then she transferred me to another department. I never said Verizon again and pled my case to reinstate my unlimited data plan due to the Edge network. When I got my first iPhone back in early 2008, I had (we all had) the unlimited data plans but at my home and surrounding area all I could get was Edge. So I figured I was throwing away money on a data plan that I couldn't use. Then when they switched to the tiered plans, I moved to the 200MB plan to save money due to the Edge network. Well just a couple of days before this last Christmas they finally turned on 3G here so I switched to the 2GB plan being that I can actually use data now.

The guy I spoke to just now was reluctant to give my unlimited plan back, but he did it. He kept citing that I barely used any data so far this month. I kept citing that I've had Edge for so long that I never could use much data.

Timing was right for me in that I finally got 3G coverage and the iPhone got Verizon so I could get my unlimited plan back to stick with AT&T.

Moral of the story is if you get an unlimited plan from a cellular company NEVER willingly give it up! I lucked out this time.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I have been able to upgrade, full subsidy, twice now.
    I had the 3G for 10 months and upgraded to the 3Gs. Had the 3Gs for 10.5 months and upgraded to the ip4 on launch day.

20. xavierpunkreno macrumors 6502

Any word on the people who signed up with AT&T after tiered data started? Wonder if enough talk of switching to Verizon would get them to bump me up to unlimited data? Now I would never actually switch but if a bluff got me unlimited data, it's worth a shot.

21. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Call and ask. It doesn't hurt to try and if they say no, at least you'd know that you tried. If you don't try you'll never know and maybe you could have gotten unlimited.

22. tritonj macrumors 6502a

just imagine what you can get out of att if verizon decides they will buy out current att iphone contracts if you switch to verizon

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They won't buy out contracts.

24. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i didn't say they were going to or that the would consider it, it's a hypothetical

25. Makanmata macrumors member

That's interesting. Are you a heavy user?