At&t just changed my data plan! Without me knowing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Svhen, May 22, 2010.

1. Svhen macrumors newbie

So to start off I have a first gen iphone which uses the old data plans. Well just a few minutes ago I received two texts from att, the first one saying that my phone requires a data plan, the second saying that it's been automatically upgraded to a 3G/3gs plan. The problem is I don't have 3G and now I'm being charged for a feature that I don't have. I'm going to call them in the morning and resolve this. It's just **** like this that really bothers me though.

2. plusonechoi macrumors member

good luck! make sure you can get a detailed explanation why this happened. might have happened to many other 2G users as well.

3. rkswat macrumors regular

4. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

Wow that really sucks, I would be highly pissed if that were to happen to me. I hope u get it squared away.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well give them a call, its true that iPhones require a data package and its also true that the 3G phones have a more expensive package. So it looks like they mistakenly upgraded your plan.

While it feels good to gripe here, your only course of action to correct this is to call them.

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I activated my original iPhone on a new contract through iTunes last Saturday. After a few days, I put the sim in my 3G just to do a few speed tests. The sim was in the 3G iPhone for five minutes. Less than two hours later, AT&T also changed my data plan to the 3G data plan after sending me two texts as well. I haven't bothered to call them because after they changed my data plan, I figured I may as well just use it in my 3G phone from now on. Plus I can upgrade this phone at any time now.

Yes they are changing data plans very quickly now for those using the wrong iPhone on the wrong data plan.

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

AT&T enterprise plan

Does anyone know anything about the ATT "enterprise" data plan which is $45 per month instead of $30? I wonder when they will start "upgrading" users to that plan when their data usage exceeds some maximum amount.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's for business users and most iPhone users need not worry about that plan.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

rightfully so :), but there are always a few cases.

10. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

Att did something similar to me last july

I originally got the original iPhone at full price and opted to not have a data plan,which you were fully allowd to do at the time since it wasnt subsidized. Iwent for 1.5 years like this until last July when i suddenly notuced the E had shown up in the menu bar and I had data, no text message to acknowledge anything. I called a couple days later a d found they had turned on the pay per use data and i had a bill over $100 for data. They then switched me to a regular plan noting that they had changed their policy and now required all iphone users to have a data plan, regardless of whether they paid full price. This is why i will be leaving Att once Verizon gets the iphone, crap like this. At least you got a text.

11. wickywahwah macrumors regular

12. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Take that puppy over to t-mo.

Tell AT&T to have a nice day.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Except you only get edge speeds on t-mo (with the iphone)

14. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

Which works out great because he's using a first generation iPhone.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Oh thats right, I forgot about that little fact :)

16. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

With the exception of coverage; I have no idea why anyone with a first gen would be on AT&T.

Both of mine for the wife and son are on t-mob- they are the cheapest BY FAR-

Edge only of course.

17. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yep, it must be a mistake. Call them.

18. Svhen thread starter macrumors newbie

well that was after the fact of them changing my plan.

And to answer questions anyone might have, I did have the unlimited 2g data plan. So it's not like I didn't have a data plan and their contract requires you to have one. I also didn't switch sim cards or anything. It was just random.

19. alent1234 macrumors 603

at&t has been doing these sweeps for months. huge thread at howard forums about it.

your case is either a mistake or your SIM ended up in a 3G iphone. they know all the imei numbers so it's a simple database query to run these sweeps

20. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Because on verizon you won't be paying for a data plan. :rolleyes:

21. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Was thinking the same....

Funny, most think that only At&T has issues.....All carries have issues

22. Razorwolf macrumors newbie

Guess he never read about this...

Family disputes Verizon's $18,000 bill

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not to hijack this thread but I have a problem with the 18k bill. Yeah verizon could have called the account holder but its not their responsibility. The 18k bill was not a mistake, the son did rack up those charges. Why does the father feel justified in not paying it. You leave the water faucet running and go on vacation. You're on the hook. It was because of bad press that verizon "forgave" the debt, but I think it was wrong. There's something called personal responsibility [/rant]

Whew, I'm done now :D

24. Razorwolf macrumors newbie

Okay, so it's right for Verizon to simply allow these people to continually rack up a phenominal phone bill because it's not their resposibility to warn them that their 2 year period of unlimited data usage is over and that they now have to pay-as-they-go? I don't think so...that's crap. That couple should have been notified in advance about the changes to their account; and if not that, Verizon should have at least cut off the data altogether once the charges reached to $100-$200 range.

Let's face it...after two years of using something a certain way, who suddenly thinks: oh crap, my 2 year period is up? I don't know about you, but I would have been just like them...I would have gone about my usual, day-to-day business and continued to use my phone they way I had been over the past 2 years. It would have never crossed my mind to check my account to see if I still had unlimited data. Any decent company would send out a notice reminding customers that their 2-year contract will be up and the customers will no longer receive unlimited data; and then would solicit them into a new deal, such as selling them another unlimited data plan.

No, what Verizon did is bad practice and bad business. I'm not saying AT&T wouldn't do the same thing...but before people start ranting about how bad AT&T is for requiring data plans as part of a new policy, they need to research and see what other companies have done in the past.