AT&T just eff'd me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JReynolds, Jun 8, 2010.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

About two weeks ago I was on the "my wireless" page for AT&T. I checked my upgrade eligibility and it said I could upgrade for $18. This WAS the same deal I had last year. I upgraded early and paid $499 for my 32GB 3GS. I previously sold it for $400 so it was a great deal.

Anyways, AT&T showed the same thing for this year so my wife and I sold our iPhones and got a total of $700. She is eligible for the $199 price and my wireless showed I would be able to do the $18 fee and pay $499 again... Cool right? I break even!

Today I checked my wireless and called AT&T, they took away my upgrade and want me to pay FULL NO COMMITMENT PRICE $699 or something ridiculous!

WTF happened?!?! I explained my situation and they did nothing for me. I can cancel, resign and pay about the same amount of money but then I get the 2GB cap and have to change my number.

Any ideas? On the 15th will they give it back maybe?

Eff you AT&T. :mad:

2. mistertomlinson macrumors 6502

Did they SAY you could cancel your account and sign up again? I was under the impression, if you canceled your account, you wouldn't be able to sign up for another contract for 6-12 months.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I have not verified this myself but I had a customer tell me tonight that AT&T announced this afternoon that everyone who currently owns an iPhone is eligible for an upgrade. like I said I have not verified this!

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Everyone IS eligible for an upgrade. The PRICE of that upgrade differs greatly.;)

5. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

I asked the rep "Omar" but he wasn't following what I was saying very well. He made it sound like I could cancel and sign back up. I'm waiting to cancel until the 15th to see if I'm eligible then.

I'll call them again tomorrow and see what a different rep says.

I'm eligible for the early upgrade price of $399-$499 01NOV10 but they won't push it forward. Full upgrade eligibility XXFEB10

How frustrating...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hope you're right.
    Im due for an upgrade on February 2011 and would gladly pay the $399 early upgrade but its only showing me the option of paying full price.
    Why is that?
    Will that change on the 15th where you can preorder or am I stuck paying full price?
    Anyone got any solid info on this issue?
    Thanks.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You can’t cancel and get the same privilege as a loyal customer. How come this makes no sense? How are you effed?

8. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

We're in the same situation. I need the iPhone 4 before Sept 14, 2010. I deploy and would like to see my wife and 3 month old baby girl via facetime...

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Thats priceless right there.
    Best of luck bro and thanks for beeing there for our country.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Apple should make a commercial out of you JReynolds. Hope it works out for you. And thank you for your service to our country.

11. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Priceless is right...

AT&T is probably gonna get their $599-699 out of me. At least the wife gets her $199 upgrade and I'll see them.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You keep trying to game the system with all these early upgrades and selling phones and, shocker, you get bitten eventually? Maybe you should buy a damn phone and actually use it instead of turning to eBay within 48 hours.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I paid $500 last year for my 3GS and my early upgrade eligibility isn't until Feb 2011. :mad:

I'm on a family plan with my mom. I was wondering- couldn't I simply preorder the phone and act like my mom, who has been eligible for an upgrade for a long time, was the one getting the iPhone 4 for only $300? And then just activate it in iTunes under my phone number...

14. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Calm down creep.

I buy an iPhone use it until the new one arrives while taking perfect care of it. Then sell it to somebody for a discounted price. Instead of them paying $699 they pay $350. I help them and they help me.

I'm not looking for profit just a new iPhone when it's out. Hell, I paid $499 last time!

15. jcapz macrumors member

Did they tell u why they took away ur upgrade eligibility?

16. Surely Guest

Surely

17. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

I asked and he just repeated to me that my upgrade for the $499 price was XXNOV10.

I'm cool with not getting it 24JUN10, like I said I just want it before sept.

18. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. I should have chose a different name for him.

19. aristobrat macrumors G5

I'm sorry, but he's "paying to play", which is hardly "gaming the system". :rolleyes:

The "get bitten" part of early upgrades is him having to pay an extra $200 for the phone each year.

I don't think it's too much to ask that AT&T communicate correctly with customers, regardless if they're early upgraders or not. Don't tell this guy that he's eligible for an "early upgrade" today, and then tell him tomorrow that he's not.

20. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why trust an agent though? Go to the website. At least then you have something you can argue with, if somehow you get screwed.

21. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. If AT&T wouldn't of shown I was able to repeat what I did last year (pay $499) I never would have sold our 3GS' to begin with. I would have waited around and had my wife mail it to me.

If AT&T had their billion dollar act together I'm sure many, many of these threads wouldn't exist. ;)

22. masterlimp macrumors member

There's plenty of other ways to do this.

that being said....that is really horrible of ATT to do that.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The problem lies in the conflicting facts that Apple upgrades the iPhone every year while AT&T has 2-year contracts. The confusion then ensues and snowballs into cellphone hell.

2-year contracts need to be changed to 1-year recurring contracts.

24. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the problem. The website said I was good to upgrade with a $18 fee and pay $499 for the 32GB like last year. I sold my 3GS only to find out 2 weeks later they changed their minds.

25. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

If you used the *639# to get a text of your date and still have it show it to an AT&T rep at a store