Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zengod

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2008
I'd just be happy if O2 in the UK updated its network to 3G ..................

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Same old crappy network here in San Diego....

It has sucked for 2 years with no signs of un-sucking....

BTW, the location is about 1 1/2 miles from the towers on Black Mountain, as the crow flies.
Can not wait for Verizon-based iphone to come out.

Attachments

• photo.png
    photo.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 77

bigrob66

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
San Francisco
3G still sucks

Still get mid 3-digit download speeds in most of San Francisco.

I'm tired of reading about all of AT&T's great upgrades and still experiencing horrible service. Probably about as tired as everyone is listening to us whine :D

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I've seen 17 Mb/s over HSPA+ so 5.5 is nothing to be amazed about :p

However, in NZ at least, prices are still too high for any "serious" use of those speeds. It's a shame really, because the mobile network is faster than my wired broadband.

I had no idea that wireless internet was faster than wired.

My cable internet is only 7.5 Mb/s down and just 0.5 Mb/s up.

No wonder people are cancelling their ISP service and tethering to their phones.

veedubdrew

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
You guys with your 1+ Mb/s download speeds can bite me! Here's mine, which is actually pretty good for my office which, incidentally, is less than 100 feet from the AT&T headquarters in downtown Los Angeles.

Attachments

• ATT.png
    ATT.png
    478.4 KB · Views: 89

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I know this sounds crazy, but I don't have that many problems with AT&T data. Most of time I don't have a problem with their voice calling either. There are some weak areas where I know there's a good chance I'll lose the signal but that is no different from any other carrier I've had.

I use the data far, far more than the actual phone function though.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

No wonder people are cancelling their ISP service and tethering to their phones.

Cable I get about 33Mbps Down and .9Mbps up. My upload speeds are crap, if I have to send a photo or video I do it over 3G, shocking that its almost 2 times faster.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Can't believe some of you guys are bitching about this. They're trying to improve their network from all angels. How is that a bad thing?

Moreover, the speeds we're seeing on our iPhone 4's are sometimes faster than the crappy internet we have hooked up to our computer at home.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Can't believe some of you guys are bitching about this. They're trying to improve their network from all angels. How is that a bad thing?

Moreover, the speeds we're seeing on our iPhone 4's are sometimes faster than the crappy internet we have hooked up to our computer at home.
Are they now?
:p

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I got a "special message" email from AT&T recently about how they are planning to invest $18 billion in their infrastructure and that it should allow for a seamless migration to LTE. I just thought, "that's nice".

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

My wired is 4 Mb/s down and 768 kb/s up. That is scheduled to change in March, when they finally upgrade my street, at which point wired will be faster than mobile for me. I'm looking forward to it, because wired is so much cheaper :)

My ISP is starting 100 Mb/s trials next week but I'm not in the required area for that :(

But I digress. This is supposed to be about AT&T LTE, not TelstraClear DOCSIS :p

krishatesworld

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Statesboro, GA
Ha!

Travel five miles outside Metro Atlanta and you will do well enough to get a decent signal at all. Anything other than basic EDGE would be gravy, but I'll believe it when I see it. AT&T is now (again) the largest communications company in the US. With all their limitless resources, what is their excuse for dragging their feet on for so long?

Redwood

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
AT&T needs to roll out 3G nation wide first. Look at AT&T's coverage map of 3G...It is horrible coverage compared to Verizon. I so can't wait for a Verizon Iphone.

budselectjr

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Minnesota
They are just starting up the PR train to try and keep iPhone users from switching to whatever carrier gets the iPhone next.

"Dont leave guys. Dont worry, we are working on it. Just wait and see."

7o7munoz7o7

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Bay Area
LTE with AT&T?? lol yeah right....can they make a 3G network first....you cant just skip over that ****....your 3G coverage is horrible!

elmo151

Jul 3, 2007
NYC
whoopee!
I think I'll wait until it arrives and until there is an iPad or iPhone that can utilize it.

until then it's just an interesting bit of technology

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Once the iPad and iPhone utilizes 4g instead of 3g and have an option for unlimited data then I will be happy because I would not need to use my in home wifi for both devices.

One thing that sucks about the iPad on 3G when out and not near wifi is that it's not fast enough for me and is frustrating surfing the web.

I have the wifi iPad now but when the iPad is on 4G then I think it's worth getting the iPad 4g instead of just wifi only.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I got a "special message" email from AT&T recently about how they are planning to invest $18 billion in their infrastructure and that it should allow for a seamless migration to LTE. I just thought, "that's nice".

That's nice....

And when that happens, the next "special message" will be the rise in pricing for your data plan...

LOL...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.