AT&T lowering edge speeds?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Looon, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Lately I've been browsing the net on my iPhone and noticing a huge drop in the speeds on edge. I used the speedtest.net app to test my speeds about a month ago because I was actually getting faster speeds than normal at the time and was getting around 125-150 kilobits/second average with a full signal. Today I did the same test and am averaging 23-35 kilobits a second with a full signal. It's been this way for a while though so I doubt that it's just a today thing. Just curious if there's anyone else experiencing this problem. 25 kilobits is unacceptable in my opinion it's almost impossible to load anything in under a minute where i used to be able to for almost anything

2. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Same here. I used to average ~120Kb/sec on edge full bars. Now I am averaging ~50.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

if you were getting 125-150 on edge that's awesome considering that's what I get on 3G. I just tested edge and I'm getting 55kbps down and 62kbps up.

4. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

From what I read, they are only getting about 1/2 of the rated 3G 3MB/s. I get around 1.5 MB/s on 2 different Speedtest Apps.
    They can't get MMS working yet.
    And they are supposed to upgrade to 7 MB/s. What good will that do if they are throttling the speed?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think they've lowered both EDGE and 3G. My speeds are half what they were a month ago.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

EDGE speeds are not as important as 3G speeds to AT&T anymore, so they are taking out bandwidth from EDGE or 2G systems and injecting it into 3G systems to get a better 3G signal/network.

This was reported by MacRumors a while ago.

7. Scooterman1 macrumors 6502a

Scooterman1

And the below message has been on my Account every day for as long as I can remember.

[​IMG]

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's not like they're turning down a 'speed knob' or something.

They're over capacity and it slows everyone down. It's why it's gotten worse since the launch of the 3GS and it's why rural users get much faster speeds than those in New York city.

So the basic idea is right...it is slower now...but saying "they've lowered" the speeds isn't exactly accurate.

Which puts you well ahead of a lot of folks around here. Hate to say it, but you should probably be grateful.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry, but I was just using the OP's phraseology. I know there's no speed knob. They do have an MMS switch though. :)

10. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Do you have a link to this story? I can't seem to find it.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

lol - It's next to the 'drop random call' button, which they push just for fun sometimes!

I don't know where it is either, but I DO remember reading it. So he's not making it up, I know that much.

12. nfl46 macrumors 603

I thought I was the only person who thought their Edge was slower. It used to be faster than it is now. I have full bars and its SLOW as heck.

13. nfl46 macrumors 603

No idea why they're doing that. AT&T act as if there 3G is available in MOST places. They aren't Verizon. They should realize that. People still use EDGE, but clearly they forgot about that.

14. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

EDGE speeds in Denver/Boulder are horrendous, almost not usable. 3G seems to get quicker everyday.

15. alm99 macrumors 6502

Same here, edge is right around 22-25Kb/s. It used to be 90Kb/s.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uhm...it's probably unlikely that they're boosting 3G signals in areas where 3G doesn't exist.

Just a guess.

17. Kyeris macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=630614

I've looked around and around but can't seem to find it. This is the closest I've gotten, I'll probably look around a little more.

18. Looon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looon

So basically they're still purposely screwing people who are stuck with just edge phones
    AT&T sure does value its customers

19. idunk macrumors member

Haha i would love to push that button.
    It would give me something to laugh at on these slow summer days ;)
    But seriously though the slower speeds are probably a reason they are delaying MMS even longer is because it would cause the data network to move even slower.

20. Kyeris macrumors 6502

Of course they do. AT&T's network can't handle all the new iPhone's popping up, so they're taking back doors screwing everyone else over

21. nfl46 macrumors 603

What I mean is, they shouldn't be lowering Edge speeds and given the extra speed to areas where 3G is available. 3G isn't available everywhere, yet. In the areas where it isn't available (like mines), we need all the speed we can get. I live in an area with nearly 100,000 people, and we still don't have 3G! WTF! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't think even Verizon has coverage in mines. Maybe the metro, but no mines. :)

23. vizkiz macrumors 6502a

vizkiz

Just tested my EDGE:
    xtremespeedtest app - 159/17
    speedtest.net app - 135/20

I do, however, have 2-3 bars of EDGE and full signal with 3G.

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Can I get a medal for the worlds slowest edge speed? Broomfield Colorado area....

[​IMG]

25. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, but I'll give you a bunny for all the right reasons:

so_cute_rabbit-1.jpg