AT&T New Upgrade Rule/Fact

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Oct 9, 2011.

1. mpossoff, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

To those who are confused AT&T changed upgrade rule.

There are NO 12 month full upgrades.

You sign a 24 month contract you're eligible for full upgrade in 20 months.

After 6 months into new contract you are eligible for partial iPhone upgrade @ $250 + cost of iPhone for 2 year contract.

If you have 12 month full upgrade now you are grandfathered. This is why those that bought 4S 10/2011 are showing full upgrade eligible 5/13 which is 19/20 months.

Those who bought 4S will be able to partially upgrade when iPhone 5 comes out in 12 months @ $250 + subsidized iPhone price which will be $450 for 2 years.

This is it and confirmed from CS at AT&T store.

2. LagFighter macrumors regular

This has always been the case. This is what every customer service rep will tell you.

People who get full upgrades every 12 months (myself included) are being given them as exceptions to the rule.

3. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info. I find it especially useful since I've always been confused about their upgrade policies and "exceptions".

4. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

I have always been given a 12 month upgrade cycle on my main line, granted, I throw $190 their way every month. It's not a perk I expect, as I DO sign a 24 month contract, however, I would not be too happy if it was taken away. I got the upgrade this year as well, so...

5. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

You are 12 month full upgrade eligible now because you are grandsfathered but when you use it you won't be eligible for other 12 month full upgrades in the future.

That's why people who bought 4S who always got 12 month full upgrades are not seeing full upgrades eligible in 12 months. Why? Cause AT&T changed their upgrade policy like VZW did.

6. LagFighter macrumors regular

This has always been the case. At the last second, AT&T has changed the upgrade status when a new iPhone was announced. This is no different than before. This is not a "new" rule. Will it be enforced next year when a new iPhone is announced? Nobody can say.

7. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

It's a new rule because it's not based on what you're paying monthly. No matter how much you spend you are not full upgrade eligible until 20 months. You can be partial upgrade eligible after 6 months @ $250 +

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

With the way AT&T raised the ETF last year, throttled peoples "unlimited" plans this year, took away all text plan options except for unlimited for $20. I would not be surprised if this really is the new upgrade rule.

9. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

We'll see what happens next year. Usually, anyone that pays >$100/month gets an upgrade in 12 months. It doesn't list it as upgrade eligible in 12 months at the beginning of the contract though, it never has. They recalculate upgrade eligibility closer to the next iPhone release.

They could always not do this next time, but they're going to need something to convince us to stay when Verizon has a much larger LTE footprint next year.

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Been with AT&T before the iPhone released in 2007, and I've been able to purchase the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4 and they were all within 12-14 months and the current 16 months for the iPhone 4S at the full subsidized pricing. Albeit, that I've had (5) iPhones, premier account, unlimited data, 1400 minutes, early 7pm service, A-List (10), 7000+ rollover minutes, may be the reason for my being able to purchase a new iPhone each time they roll out...:cool:

My bill is about $276+ a month...

11. Achtung macrumors newbie

Last Year

Weren't the vast majority of "exceptions" last year as a result of ATT expecting to lose exclusivity within a few months? I didn't expect to see a repeat this year.

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

As pointed out, this has always been the "official" policy. Exceptions have been made, and may be in the future.

Best policy is and always has been to assume that the written contract terms are exactly what you'll get. If you get something better, great - but if you don't, then you have no justification to bitch about it.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Well said! If it isn't in writing, don't expect it. Doesn't matter how often you got it in the past.

14. 2010RS macrumors 6502

Exactly. They wanted to lock-in as many people as possible.

15. Theod0re macrumors member

You guys are saying anyone that pays over 100 a month gets 12 month upgrade? The family plan bill I'm on is ~150 and I definitely was always on a 24-month cycle.

16. sonicdissent macrumors regular

Main line only. That's how it has been for me, but the secondary line was still at the 18 month cycle.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Just one tweek - you can only get one partial upgrade in any two year period. After you do your first partial your next upgrade must be a fully subsidized one or you can pay full retail.

My understanding is that everyone was "grandfathered" until whenever they make their next upgrade. But after that they go to the new 20 month policy even if they were previously under a 12 month upgrade cycle. Eventually everyone will have a 20 month upgrade cycle.

If you have information to the contrary in writing please post. I'd love to be proven wrong. I do not, however, trust anything CSRs say because many do not know their head from their toe. Just about every 12 month upgrader here is reporting their upgrades has reset to 5/2013. I've yet to hear anyone's reset to 10/2012.

18. Swiss Miss macrumors member

Swiss Miss

Meh, if you find that to be the case, so be it. I believe I do have justification to bitch about it and I will. AT&T has created an expectation to each and every iPhone customer of theirs after letting customers upgrade early every time, that exceptions WILL be made, not may be made.

Think of it this way: If I sign a contract with someone to paint my house blue and they paint it red, and I still pay them for the work, I am waiving the contractual expectation for a blue house - and therefore waive the right to sue them for breaching the contract. If I hire that same person to paint 3 other houses blue and they paint them all red, I cannot, after the 4th house is painted, refuse to pay them because they're all red.

A similar concept can be attributed to AT&T policy: If they stated that under no conditions would anyone be allowed to upgrade until the 2-year contract was up, no one would have this expectation of them to make these "exceptions". They have consistently made exceptions without ever stating that this would no longer be possible, and I'm sure there would be a lot less pissed off people if that were the case because they'd have that understanding going in to the new contract term. A policy is hardly a policy if it's consistently overlooked. Ya dig?

I have been a customer of AT&T for over 10 years at this point, and have upgraded to every iPhone that has been released. Now that I have a family plan, that spends over $300 per month with AT&T, I am told that only one of the phone lines is upgrade eligible, as it's the primary number and according to their records, that number spends over $100 with them; disregarding the fact that the other numbers on the account collectively spend well over that amount. It's a silly, arbitrary policy. But this is becoming the norm when dealing with corporations, isn't it?

Not to mention that when I was inquiring of the early termination fees for the account, it turned out to be significantly less to pay out of the contract and take my business elsewhere than it is to pay the extra $250 per phone they're asking for. Glad to know my loyalty has surely paid off.

I sold my iPhone 4 early assuming I would be able to upgrade to the 4S once it was released, like I've done in the past with all previous iPhones, and suddenly it's impossible to do without either 1) paying less to leave AT&T or 2) pay them $250 extra. Sure, you can tell me all about their losing money on the subsidized cost of the phone and that business is business, but the fact of the matter is that they already rip off each and every one of their customers with their bloated costs. All I'm wanting is to buy an iPhone and extend the period to do business with them. I give zero remorse to a phone company that does business the way they (and every other phone company) do.

It isn't worth it for me to leave AT&T in the long run, but it's also not worth it for me to dish out $250 extra to get the latest and greatest iPhone 4S. So I'll have to buy back another iPhone 4 and sit on the sidelines til the iPhone 5 comes out and get it at the proper subsidized cost. Now that I've been familiarized with this NEW policy of NOT making exceptions, I'll be happy to assume that the contract terms are what I'll get: a whole lotta nothing.

19. SogeKing macrumors newbie

My understanding about this (i spoke with a rep a few weeks ago) is that all upgrades will be offered after 20 months, regardless of how much you pay per month. I have a family plan and my primary line always got 12 month upgrades and the other lines were longer based on what each line was paying. But they will no longer be doing that, that had nothing to do with exceptions. The early upgrades ATT offered were exceptions and usually were given to those within 3-6 months of their upgrades (i think) so from now on everyone will get 20 month upgrade and maybe ATT will give exceptions for early upgrades but who knows

20. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Same here, and I expect same next cycle.

21. Lord Flashheart macrumors regular

Lord Flashheart

What will I get as a discount from AT&T? My phone is the 3GS which I got at release, so I am out of contract. When I check, it says I am eligible for an upgrade discount, but it does not show me the amount. Anyone know?

22. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

That's the way I see it.

Luckily my upgrade date was June, but judging by the feedback here of members who weren't eligible for upgrade price.

If AT&T figures out that many will pay full price anyway, even less reason to push up dates.

I'd bet many here who have upgrade dates in November and couldn't get them moved still purchased at the phone + $250 price. It's all about profit.

23. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Let's say I used my partial $250 + upgrade for the 4S(10/2011). The iPhone 5 comes out 10/2012.

Where does that put me then? I'm not entitled to buy the iPhone 5 on another $250 + upgrade?

24. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

wait can somebody help me. I'm kind of confused. Before I bought the 4S I texted att that new thing on the iPhone. It said I was eligible for an upgrade at an $18 upgrade fee. I bought the iPhone 4 the day it came out. What's with some people having to pay $85 dollars for an upgrade if they bought on day one. I'm confused because att told me $18.

25. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Agree. I bought my iPhone 4 on 8/2010. It listed full upgrade as 1/2012 after I bought it. Then in October, it changed to the one year, full upgrade 8/2011.
    Now after my preorder it is back to 5/2013, I hope to have it back to 10/2012 after a few months.