Carrier AT&T Next anyone charged more than taxes up front?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobright, Sep 12, 2014.

1. bobright macrumors 601

I do not understand my charges at all, well technically haven't been charged yet but what I am seeing in my confirmation email. I thought if going through Next we should only be charged taxes upfront?

I'm in California should be charged roughly around $50 bucks. Well in my email it says one time charges $106.92. Is it that I'm being charged for the Next installment and the data line charge as well? Anybody else getting similar charges stated?

I contacted AT&T and there's no trace of my order they'll be calling me tomorrow. Ugh it's been such a disaster.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe the tax charge is for the full price of the phone, not the based on what you pay per month.

3. inthecup macrumors regular

Nope only the taxes

4. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

What's the sales tax rate in California? I'm in Florida, the full cost of my phone is $849. 7% sales tax here equals $59.43, which is what I was charged at checkout.

5. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Calling At&t would be your best bet. But yes it should only be taxes on the full amount of the phone upfront

6. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Hopefully somebody can break this down for me here's how it looks. I currently have 2 phones this one bought and an iPhone that is contract free. The Next charge looks to be right. I have 1GB mobile share value plan (gonna change to 2GB after I get my phone), so forty dollar charge and fifteen credit looks right at $25 for this line. Is the rest taxes? Why the $106.92 charge shouldn't it be around $60 for the taxes and the rest be on my upcoming bill?

Monthly Charges
    Phone/Device
    Apple iPhone 6 (64GB Gold) $37.50 /mo.
    Data Plan
    Mobile Share Value Plan 1GB
    For iPhone on LTE $40.00
    Service Discount -$15.00
    Features
    Applications

Sub-Total(One-Time) $0.00

Sub-Total(Monthly) $62.50
    Order Summary

One-Time Preorder Charges*** $0.00
    Estimated Tax*** $106.92
    Preorder Shipping*** $0.00

Total One-Time Charges* $106.92

----------

8.225%

7. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

If you setup a new plan, maybe its the prorate for the first months dues?
    I just did Next on my current plan with no other changes and was only charged my 6% tax on the $849

I know when you change plans, they like to mess with prorated fees and make you pay a month ahead to get back on track

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think you'll get your answer if you call ATT.

9. iHavequestions macrumors regular

I have this mess after I ordered:

Attached Files:

10. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

It looks like I'm being charged for an entire new line. I used the upgrade option though. I wonder if I should just cancel, I probably can't since they can't find any trace of my order at the moment. Smh

11. drober30 macrumors 6502a

LOL... you might as well just go play the lottery too!

12. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

I talked with them over chat and they couldn't find anything gave them my order number and phone number and it showed nothing, just as when I try tracking my order status. I'm guessing it'd be much of the same?

13. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I think the same thing happened to me, that it added a second,line instead of upgrading my current. Knew I should have just bought it outright. Now who knows how long until it gets straightened out. I did get confirmation, but nothing that allows me to cancel without calling.

14. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Isn't it terrible. It says upgrade in my order status page though right beside my name on account so I don't get it.

15. HyQuality macrumors regular

I got the same issue... It added a $40 per month data charge for some reason. I'm already on a mobile share (10gb) plan so I'm not sure why they are adding this. On hold with ATT for 30 mins so far..........

16. megapopular macrumors 6502a

That shows as monthly charges. To me that looks like what you'd be paying as of next bill cycle.

17. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

If you can please update me on what they say it'd be appreciated. Good luck.

18. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

That is what I thought at first, but now I'm not so sure.

I got the page that I can cancel, however when I click cancel preorder it asks me again for the order number and zip and then asks me to confirm, then takes me back to the same page.

19. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Nah it say monthly charges 62 something and one time charges 106.92. It does say one time charges are estimated so maybe it'll change?!

20. aquickquestion macrumors newbie

Anyone else think the NEXT plan is a rip off?

Currently my wife and I are sharing the 10gb plan for $130 a month before taxes. Everyone knows that is $100 for the data and $15 for each line. If you go with the old method of paying, say $199 for a 16gb 6, then you are paying $40 a month for the 6's line. So it would be $100 for the data, $15 for my wife's line and $40 for my line, which makes our bill $155 a month before taxes.

If I get the 6 through NEXT we will still have the $100 for data, $15 for each line, plus the $27.05 a month for the phone, making our bill $157.05 before taxes and that is the for the cheapest phone. Unless I am missing something with NEXT it does not seem like that great of an option.

21. Bazilemac macrumors regular

Yeah the estimated charge they gave me is 133.92 for 64GB 6 PLUS. I thought that was odd since in the beginning before I received a confirmation email, they said it would be a 51.52 charge. Now, I look at my bank statement online and it says they charged me 80. 75$. what gives????! Messing up on order delivery dates is one thing but please don't mess with someone's money AT&T

22. iHavequestions macrumors regular

I'm in exactly the same situation. Also 30 minutes on hold so far.

23. Urotex macrumors newbie

Mobile Share Value for iPhone on 4G LTE (10-100) added charge to existing plan

Does anyone have an answer to this yet?

24. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

$80.75 is 9.5% of $849 (6+ 64GB MSRP). What's the sales tax in your locale?

25. chukwithak macrumors member

OP, were you previously on a NEXT contract?

----------

I just got done working for Att so might be able to answer some questions.