AT&T Next Upgrade Process

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tstephens0518, Aug 17, 2015.

1. tstephens0518 macrumors newbie

I am currently on the AT&T Next 12 Month Program with a iPhone 6 Plus. I am eligible to upgrade to the iPhone 6S Plus when it comes out next month. Can I do this on the Apple Website, does anyone know how I “turn in my phone to AT&T” which is required as part of the upgrade?

I would like to buy the new one through Apple and turn my current one in through AT&T. Does anyone know if this is possible? I've gotten mixed answers on this and no one seems to know. Thanks.

2. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

I'm guessing the closer we get the more of an accurate answer you're going to get. At this point , it's hard to say.

3. Tikatika macrumors 6502

Tikatika

Same situation. Waiting as well for an answer to your question, but for the iPhone 6.

4. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

I talked to AT&T customer support (an experience akin to pulling teeth) and the lady eventually confirmed that you can order your upgrade from Apple and you have 14 days to bring in your old device to an AT&T Store.

You might want to contact customer support yourself and confirm however...

I don't want any responsibility...

5. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

I enrolled in NEXT 12 when I initially got the iPhone 6 on launch and they didn't have the new NEXT w/downpayment plan, which I now prefer. I assume I should be able to switch over to that one once the 6S comes out? But I wish to keep the 30GB promo plan which they don't offer anymore.

6. ricktat macrumors 65816

Don't forget that trade in specials might make this a non issue. You can easily payoff you Iphone online and then you own it. Your account is also clear.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I was told something similar, except that we can mail in the device if we choose. AT&T will send you a prepaid label to ship the device back to them.

So, I plan on ordering on Apple.com or waiting in line. I don't like purchasing from AT&T, their policies are awful. If you have an issue with the phone, you can only get a new phone with them if the issue arises within 24 hours, even though you have 14 days to return the device. In addition, they still have a restocking fee.

8. Bbqthis macrumors 6502a

Bbqthis

Yeah, I was told I could mail back as well. I'm definitely ordering from Apple. Last year my wife got totally hosed by AT&T during the 6 Plus preorder. They put a hold on her order and she was never able to get through to customer support within the 7 day period, so they cancelled her preorder. NOT going through that again.

9. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

You will be able to upgrade your phone without issue and KEEP your 30GB promo plan. Upgrading your phone will not change the plan you are on. So as long as you don't change the plan to something different, you will keep it as long as you want.

10. cousintim macrumors 6502

cousintim

A word to the wise: If upgrading a phone under Next, return it in-person to an AT&T store. Shipping it to AT&T is an invitation to a horror show.

11. af21187 macrumors 6502

The NEXT programs are a rip-off in regards to trading in your phone. I would highly recommend selling on eBay/Glyde and paying off the outstanding balance on your phone. You'll more than likely be able to pocket some money this way, unless money<convenience.

Assuming you have the 16GB model -

Selling on Glyde nets you ~$470. Pay off ~$300 balance at ATT (assuming 8 payments left on NEXT). This nets you ~$170 in pocket.

Trading in to ATT just waives the $300 outstanding balance (assuming 8 payments left) and makes you start your payment plan over.

The Glyde prices are *now* and will be lower in a month's time, but you'd still get more benefit selling through Glyde or eBay. Just trying to help you keep some money.

12. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

You have 14 days to mail the device back to ATT (remember it can't have any cracks or water damage). They will e-mail you the shipping label, if you don't receive one, you can go to an at&t store or call att customer care and they should be able to provide you with one.

13. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I'm with you 100%. It's a waste of money to just trade-in your device, when you probably don't have that much left to pay. This is the smart thing to do if you don't mind having to find someone to buy it from you.

14. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Ugh I want to purchase from Apple so bad, but it's frustrating it doesn't look like they offer Next with a down payment. I don't want super high monthly payments.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Every year I have purchased a new iPhone using the AT&T early upgrade method. Every year I sell my previous device to make up for the purchase of the new one. Now I am on Next and don't have this option.

With that being said I typically do sell the previous device for more than 300, closer to 400, but I have to go through the hassle of doing so. Whether it be on eBay and dealing with the risks of scams and the new 180 day policy that PayPal offers or having to meet up in person on Craigslist.

I feel AT&T essentially giving me 300 for my device isn't a bad deal for a simple trade in and be done with it. The value of devices plummet for about a month because there are so many flooding the market. So for me to sell my iPhone 6, I need to go through the hassle of doing so and the potential of it taking a month to do.

16. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

No problem. As soon as you buy the phone you can go online and pay any amount. I paid off my iPhone 6+ the day I got it.

17. af21187 macrumors 6502

I understand your perspective, but what I don't understand is the "hassle". Since when is getting a cost estimate and shipping a box (for free) a "hassle" for an extra $100+ in your pocket? I acknowledge eBay's buyer/seller policies are open to exploiting, but programs like Swappa or Glyde are an easy method to avoid further contributing to AT&T's margins through their rip-off programs. You're basically "renting" a phone from them for a year at 65% of the device cost plus tax, and then giving it back to them to sell for $150-$200 less than what you paid for it.

I usually pay off the current phone ahead of time, sell right before the announcement when prices are still high(ish), and use a "backup" phone (3GS on 4.1.1...puke) for the 10 days until I get the new phone.

18. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

It really depends on what the going rate is. Right after launch I find it hard to believe that I would be able to get 400+ without having to wait a month or two. Typically right after the launch the going rate is between 300-350 in my area, that is why I usually have to wait a month or so.

19. af21187 macrumors 6502

Aye, that's why I mentioned selling before the announcement. I get where you're coming from, for sure. I am just passionate about what's better for the consumer (against any business). "Better" is subjective per individual, which I understand.

20. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I totally understand what you are saying. I think this year is a special circumstance for myself based on time available compared to previous years. Normally I don't mind waiting the month or so to make the sale, but this year with school I'm not too keen on being out the 300 for a month or so, even if it's better off for me in the long run.

I appreciate your input though! It has definitely made me rethink my situation and I will make a decision after the announcement and before the launch.

21. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

Like I said it depends on the persons perspective. If you don't mind having to go through all the hassle of selling ur phone then do it. but like you said, you rather turn it in than going through the whole process of selling it, so you choose convenience over money, which is perfectly fine because that works for you.

In my case, I don't really mind having to sell it and making some bucks. I have sold a lot of things on craigslist and I've never had an issue. I never share my Phone number, I meet in a public place (such as the food court at a mall) they give me my cash, I give them the phone, deal's done, no biggie. I'm actually trying to decide if I want to sell it now or after the new one is released. mmm decisions.

22. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Oh wow! I didn't know this, I just thought that if you choose to make additional payments it had to be the full amount of the phone.

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You can pay it off. You cannot make a single payment and still have monthly payments. So xanadeath, you are correct.

24. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Ah! Thank you!

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

No problem. I think it's a stupid policy. I would like a way to pay extra to lower the monthly payment.