AT&T now canceling CONFIRMED Pre-Orders?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonHC, Jun 16, 2010.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

2. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

3. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Looks to me like they just had a specific issue with that person's account, maybe a credit card or like it says, they tried to do too many lines. Bad if it's an error due to AT&T's approval servers, but it's not "we're out of phones so we're canceling your order" language.

4. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

This is a perfect reason as to why I will NEVER order an iPhone from ATT for launch day.

5. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I had the same judgment but since, at the time, the backorder was July 2nd, i had no choice but to go with AT&T

6. awestruck macrumors regular

Dial *639# and see if it tells you that you're not eligible until 2012 (assuming you got it subsidized). You should be ok if you're upgrade date is somewhere two years from now.

7. Spyharpy macrumors member

Spyharpy

I ordered my 3GS last year from AT&T with no issues. I was able to do so yesterday around 11PST with no problems. Got the confirmation screen but no email. Website shows no record yet but doing the *639# now shows that I can buy a phone at full pricing and available for an upgrade on 11/17/2011. This is good as the prior message stated I was eligible for an upgrade with no fee prior to the launch date.

8. myfoneisdank macrumors regular

hmmmm my order status yesterday said "attention!" but i checked today and now its processing which is a good sign.

just did 639 and still got the "as a valued customer we can offer an upgrade etc. etc."

is this bad?

9. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I checked using *639# and it said the year 2012 :D
    Hopefully AT&T wont cancel my Pre-Order

10. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

I've never understood why people would order from AT&T over Apple.

11. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Because
    1. There might not be an Apple Store near by to pick up
    2. The Pre-Order service is down
    3. Some have the FAN account

12. snapper2323 macrumors member

snapper2323

I checked using *639# and it said I was eligible for an upgrade and the 18 dollar fee would be waived. I ordered at 6:30 am yesterday, received an email immediately of my order, and when I check my status it says processing, so I am not sure the *639# is a good indicator.

13. snapper2323 macrumors member

snapper2323

All of the above for me

14. camarobh macrumors 6502

I ordered my 3GS from AT&T last year for launch day, had no issues. Ordered via AT&T this time after a couple of hours trying to order from Apple. As with many others, the process would go different lengths each time and then ultimately fail. Sometimes it stopped while checking my status with AT&T, other times it appeared to have nothing to do with AT&T, just overloaded Apple web servers.

15. ChocolateApple macrumors 6502

ChocolateApple

Because Apple's site crapped out while AT&T's took my order immediately. That's my reason, and so far, I haven't been notified of any cancellation.

The alternative would probably be that I'd be one of these folks trying the Apple site for 6-8 hours, only to end up in the July delivery range. Or I'd be like my mom, going to the store and being turned away for pre-orders.

But even if I have to eat crow, and AT&T messes up my order (I hope not), I did what I could to order it at the time (6/15, 5am ET). Oh well.

16. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

When will people learn not to order from ATT? Same **** happened last year too, orders that were supposed to be delivered launch day were delayed, lost etc. The only way to order is through Apple.

17. awestruck macrumors regular

I wasn't about to order from AT&T. I had my doubts, but Apple's site was being a douche and I definitely wasn't waiting a month to get my hands on one so I felt I had no choice but to order from AT&T.

18. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I understand the FAN account thing. But...
    1. I'm talking pre-orders, not reservations.
    2. It wasn't down later in the day, I got through. And I would have still pre-ordered even if it was a July 2nd ship date. AT&T is actually CANCELING pre-orders. Good luck trying to get one from them in the next few weeks...

19. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Funny you said that. I actually made it to the checkout page at ATT yesterday around noon PST. I then remembered the horror stories from last year and didn't order from ATT. No lie. I finally got my order into apple yesterday around 5pm PST.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I've got a FAN account and ordered through Apple.com with no problem (I've already had Apple do the multiple $1 test on my account).

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Because a) With my job and other factors, receiving it as a package is not an option, and b) I don't care to drive a six to 8 hours round trip to pick it up.

Of course, due to various bills popping up right now combined with the fact I don't need a new phone, I'm holding off for now. Maybe in a month or so.

22. awestruck macrumors regular

I was already past the deadlines and there was rumors of them selling out. I panicked. hahaha. I really don't trust AT&T, I know they can be shady. But push came to shove, and I just went ahead and bought mine from the AT&T site after sitting on Apple's for almost 12 hours with no luck.

23. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

The logic of ordering from AT&T was fairly simple to me.

Does AT&T have a bunch of peanut brain imbeciles for CS reps? Yes.

Did Apple though usually reliable server eat **** yesterday? Yes.

Do I regret ordering from AT&T whom I got my order through within a few minutes, verses struggling on Apple's server for 2 hours? NO.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I nominate this thread for a FUDdie.

Let's dissect the email the guy got:

1) ATT could not VERIFY the information he provided

OR

2) He exceeded the allowed lines of service a person can have.

In other words, the person was not qualified to purchase a phone in the first place. I don't see this person disputing this claim, i.e., that ATT goofed, so where is the controversy?

25. Daddy Mac macrumors member

Worried

So I ordered the iphone yest. morning at 940AM thru at&t and got a confirmation email with a ref. #. I just called at&t to make sure my order is in their system and ITS NOT. He said the ref. # didn't show up on their computers. I dont kno wtf to do. When I check my order status it still says "processing" so I dunno what that means.