Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crpercodani

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2009
I think the $15 data unlimited he refers to is the one for post paid customers/contract. I had it on my RAZR but when I switched the sim to my iphone 3g it kept saying I didn't have a cellular data service or something like that when I tried to access the web or use the app store/cydia. I wish I could ditch my contract sans ETF and grab this gophone plan, sounds a lot cheaper then the stupid iphone plan, and I live in a edge only area anyway.

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
It hasn't been offered for years. AT&T dropped MediaNet Unlimited from GoPhone users. The original poster is saying AT&T is now allowing the package to be added to GoPhone users again. Btw, I have not heard of "data unlimited" for $15. That would definitely be the cheapest unlimited data plan I have ever seen.

i realize they dropped it because people were abusing it but i thought at&t completely rebranded data plans.

data unlimted is officially for non-smartphones, but its useable by any phone. its the plan that most people that buy unlocked phones (not iphones) use.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
i realize they dropped it because people were abusing it but i thought at&t completely rebranded data plans.

data unlimted is officially for non-smartphones, but its useable by any phone. its the plan that most people that buy unlocked phones (not iphones) use.

This thread is specifically referring to GoPhone plans. They do not use the same options/packages that a post-paid AT&T plan does.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
I am on the GoPhone pick a plan and have the 200 txt message package with the 100MB data package. I called to see about adding the MediaNet Unlimited - was told it is no longer offered. I never got a text message about it either. Also, this is the only place I have found about this service being offered again. A search of Google only results in messages about AT&T killing the unlimited MediaNet plan. Also, there is no mention on AT&T's site or their automated system as others have pointed out.

If someone is successful in actually getting this package added - could you maybe get the person's operator name/number or something? Or tell us how you managed to get them to add it. Also, if you are successful in getting it added, did you at one point actually have the Unlimited MediaNet and then cancel it?

xsecretfiles

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
I have an iphone 3g under the $30 medianet unlimited plan

...I wonder If I can switch it to this $20 one....

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I have an iphone 3g under the $30 medianet unlimited plan

...I wonder If I can switch it to this $20 one....

I wouldn't try just yet. It seems either the reps at AT&T don't know they can offer this yet or they are sending messages out to a select few so far and offering it only to those who got the text message.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
BTW, when I called and spoke to someone, I BSed them and told them that I had received the text message. Didn't help, they just apologized and said it wasn't available.

SpaceKitty - what were you signed up for when you got the text?

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
Sorry about bringing up an old thread... but I thought it might be time for a revisit... Anyone else ever manage to get this or receive a text about it?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sorry about bringing up an old thread... but I thought it might be time for a revisit... Anyone else ever manage to get this or receive a text about it?

What are you talking about?
Recently people have reported that their attempts to not pay for an actual iPhone data plan and only pay for media net have been squashed by AT&T. AT&T is forcing an iPhone data plan in line with the actual contract signed. If that's what you mean then yes, there have been reports.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Um, I'm confused... what are you talking about. I'm using a GoPhone SIM... I signed NO contract.

Welcome to MacRumors, where the regulars who are supposed to be helpful and welcoming have a mission to be snarky and condescending at any given chance.

From what I've learned from listening to one person over the last two years who's in your position, AT&T will not touch a GoPhone account because, as you mentioned, no contract was signed. They've been getting more strict on the others lately, which I think is what Jessica was trying to get at.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Welcome to MacRumors, where the regulars who are supposed to be helpful and welcoming have a mission to be snarky and condescending at any given chance.

Hey if you have an issue with me then take it up with me. Read my answer again, this time slower. :rolleyes:

Let me do this another way.
Recently, that is in the last few weeks, there have been posts where people who were on the media net plan with an iPhone were switched to an iPhone data plan on AT&T. If that is what the poster was referring to then yes, there have been reports.

Last I checked, you too were a regular and have been seen being snarky, as you've called it. My post was one of the least snarky posts I've had in a week so knock it off. And nice edit of your post. :rolleyes:

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Hey if you have an issue with me then take it up with me. Read my answer again, this time slower. :rolleyes:

Let me do this another way.
Recently, that is in the last few weeks, there have been posts where people who were on the media net plan with an iPhone were switched to an iPhone data plan on AT&T. If that is what the poster was referring to then yes, there have been reports.

Last I checked, you too were a regular and have been seen being snarky, as you've called it. My post was one of the least snarky posts I've had in a week so knock it off. And nice edit of your post. :rolleyes:

I have no issue with you. Just pointing out a trend. Don't take it so personally. And last I checked, my post was void of "eye rolling" even before my edit so despite what you may think, I'm not an elitist jerk-off.

And as for me being snarky in the past, everybody has their days.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado

It's been since 9-25-09 that AT&T offered me the unlimited Media Net for $19.99 on my GoPhone account and I am still using it to this day on my 2G iPhone. Though I don't need the account, I am still keeping it open just because it has the $19.99 Media Net that will be lost forever if I do cancel it. AT&T tells me I could would not be able to get it again of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.