Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jphillippe

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Miami, Florida
Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.

I live in Kendall, south florida as well and I have no problems, I am running an unlocked iphone with t-mobile.

vlj9r

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
I'm having the same issue in the Tampa Bay area. I'll speking to someone and all of a sudden they sound like they are gargling. Can't understand what they are saying. A very few times, it will clear up but most of the time I have to hang up and re-dial. I can see this happening while traveling in a car and being switched from tower to tower but this can also happen while standing on the street.

jerry

Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.

Hooka

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'll try to go to ATT and see if they can do anything. I know this is the wrong topic to vent like this and for that I am sorry. I do overall think ATT is by far some of the worst cell coverage I have had in almost 5 years. T-Mobile say what you want but in Fort Lauderdale, FL their signal is A+++.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
How about unlimited voice/data/text for $59.99 a month? What a way to suck more cash out of your customers. Giving us unlimited calling requires nothing extra on their end, so why charge more for something we should have had from the get-go? Greedy bastards. And they make it sound like they did us a favor.

Hooka

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I'll give you all an update. AT&T called apple and I have a apoitment at the bar tomorrow. The girl from apple, who was very nice told me they would most likely exchange my phone. I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks for the advice.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
at&t will never convince me they are not greedy scumbags who provide awful plans. someone please shank their ceo.

Is that really necessary? First of all, threats against the CEO? Immature and uncool. Second of all, AT&T has almost price for price the exact same plans as Verizon. If you don't like them, fine, but calling out violence against a stranger because you have a problem with the company is just not ok.

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
You're not alone. I live in South Florida too and my iPhone has dropped a good amount of calls, no matter who I'm talking to.

I'm such a mac geek, i didn't even care my reception was terrible at my house when i bought my iphone. But, the ATT gods smiled upon me at Christmas, and all of a sudden i had almost full signal at home. Because i'm in a developing area, i suppose they finally put a tower up closer and now i'm happy. The thing i don't understand about the T-Mobile/ATT signal issue that some are having here, is that ATT and Tmobile use the same type of signal and the same towers, no? Verizon's is different and therefore (until xmas) my neighbors with verizon had better coverage cause a verizon tower was nearby.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Its $99/line unlimited talk. So if you had a family plan with 3 lines it would be $99 each.

What I'm interested to know is if you can have one line on the unlimited talk plan and two other plans on the same "family talk plan" that use minutes. I mean, I suppose I could break the family talk plan apart, but its a PITA and AT&T might possibly charge contract fees.

I think you forgot to also count the fact you probably need a texting plan and the standard 20 dollar plan for each iPhone line.

You maybe looking at close to $450 for an unlimited family plan (3 lines all iPhones).

Akitakoi

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I just read someplace that Verizon includes unlimited texting with the $99 price and Sprint to offer $60 unlimited.

I hope this starts a price "war" to bring down the ridicules costs.

I'll try to find it.

hauss316H

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
America's Wang!
had to ditch the iphone. dropped calls, crappy signal, awesome phone which is tarnished by att. im with tmobile, 39.99 for 1000 minutes, 19.99 unlimited txt and data. ...gee whats the better deal?

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Yeah great timing guys...I just walked into an AT&T store and cancelled my contract cause my iPhone was useless in Concord NH. I paid my $175.00 termination fee right there at the counter and now this.

If it was useless, what difference does it makes that you get more minutes for less?

If the phone does not work in that area then what is the point?

Confused.

KittyToy

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Davenport
all cells have their good and bad reception area, i live in orlando and i have no issues with AT&T, and i also got Tmobile and theirs go in and out for me daily.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I just switched from a Sony Ericsson S710a to an iPhone and let me tell you the reception is so much better. I couldn't talk on my Sony in my home office. I had to sit a certain way at my desk just to get reception. My iPhone has only had one problem which occurred the other night. I was talking long distance when it just turn black and went dead. The battery was fully charged, but it just died. It came back on a few second later. It was weird as I was talking to someone who was also using an iPhone.

So far I am really happy with my purchase. I couldn't wait until the iPhone 2.0. I live in LA where you would think reception would be awesome, but it sux depending on where you are in the city. I've heard it doesn't matter who you are with or what phone you are using you will run into dead spots.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
That's my concern...

You think paying extra for unlimited minutes would solve your reception/coverage problem?

That's my concern with a price war, that the loss of revenue will result in a loss of much needed continued infrastructure investment.

Also, to all the people saying (not necessarily here) that Cricket or Metro PCS offers unlimited for $30-$50 per month, what they are conveniently forgetting is a) those companies aren't available to everyone b) those don't have the freedom of the Big 4's unlimited plans because (hefty) ROAMING charges exist.

I like unlimited, and it is definitely the way of the future (look at landline/mobile long distance, look at the internet), and will definitely happen considering many people are going mobile-only and usage will not increase that much except at the very top (people who already pay hundreds for 2000+ minutes per month), but the talk of a price war and rumors of Sprint's $60/month unlimited access scare me (as well as investors). I think $99-$179 is perfectly fine for unlimited EVERYTHING, and if you don't like it than just stick to a lower cost per-minute plan.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
I just read someplace that Verizon includes unlimited texting with the $99 price and Sprint to offer $60 unlimited.

I hope this starts a price "war" to bring down the ridicules costs.

I'll try to find it.

I don't. See my comment above. PLEASE MERGE.
Also, it is "ridiculous". There is no ridiculing going on.

esquire360

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
when I walk my dog around the block I loose reception all the time. I don't get it. I bought my phone in December 2007, can I get an exchange? I've even called AT&T to tell them that the reception is awful in my neck of the woods. I have checked the coverage map and it says I'm in the best place to get full bars. I have never jail-broken or done any modding to the phone. It was also a brand new sim card. I switched from T-Mobile where I had great coverage and rarely dropped calls. oh well?

hook, u gotta get another iphone user to drive your house see if your phones bad

mediumofmeaning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
NJ
Dude, if something happens to the man, guess who they are going to come looking for?

"Hey, Detective Brenshaw, the AT&T CEO was shanked, did you hear?"

"No, I didn't, but it must be related to that kid who jokingly called for an attack on a mac news website months ago, you know, that one we rigorously monitor?!"

"Right!"

For some reason the CEO being shanked jailhouse style isn't one of my greatest worries.

Well, I'm off to seek maturation.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
Dude, if something happens to the man, guess who they are going to come looking for?

"Hey, Detective Brenshaw, the AT&T CEO was shanked, did you hear?"

"No, I didn't, but it must be related to that kid who jokingly called for an attack on a mac news website months ago, you know, that one we rigorously monitor?!"

"Right!"

For some reason the CEO being shanked jailhouse style isn't one of my greatest worries.

Well, I'm off to seek maturation.

You've got to understand that some may be a little sensitive to bad jokes about committing unnecessary act of violence because someone didn't get their way. Too many of us are ranting and screaming when we don't get our way in even the most minute and trivial matters. Not happy with a telecom company's rates? Be disappointed, but your life will go on.

A buddy of mine had to bury his little sister this weekend after she was killed in the shootings at Northern Illinois University by a deranged someone who wasn't getting his way. Not saying that you shouldn't have a sense of humor, but please realize when -- to some -- you may cross that line and appear to be nothing more than a whining, unfunny, insensitive ass.

pseudonymph

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
You're not alone. I live in South Florida too and my iPhone has dropped a good amount of calls, no matter who I'm talking to. And the reception indoor TOTALLY SUCKS, even inside a grocery store or something.
I'm not sure if it's AT&T or if it's the phone itself - considering taking it back to :apple: and have it checked before the warranty expires.

i don't know, i get full bars and 3g here in west boca. ATT has been much better than sprint

mediumofmeaning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
NJ
You've got to understand that some may be a little sensitive to bad jokes about committing unnecessary act of violence because someone didn't get their way. Too many of us are ranting and screaming when we don't get our way in even the most minute and trivial matters. Not happy with a telecom company's rates? Be disappointed, but your life will go on.

A buddy of mine had to bury his little sister this weekend after she was killed in the shootings at Northern Illinois University by a deranged someone who wasn't getting his way. Not saying that you shouldn't have a sense of humor, but please realize when -- to some -- you may cross that line and appear to be nothing more than a whining, unfunny, insensitive ass.

Way to go. You've somehow drawn a loose parallel between my admittedly facetious comments and the acts of a mentally deranged psychotic bastard murdering students. This conversation is entirely futile, and I don't feel like going on with it anymore than anyone cares to read this. So if you or anyone else insists on pursuing the unnecessary, let's do it through private messages.

chicagostars

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Chicago, IL
whoa

Way to go. You've somehow drawn a loose parallel between my admittedly facetious comments and the acts of a mentally deranged psychotic bastard murdering students. This conversation is entirely futile, and I don't feel like going on with it anymore than anyone cares to read this. So if you or anyone else insists on pursuing the unnecessary, let's do it through private messages.

Friend, as I mentioned before, I'm not telling you to not have a sense of humor, nor do I expect some statement of contrition, but know that you opened the door to someone else possibly having issue with your comments.

I agree that we don't need to have some long, drawn out series of dueling posts over this, but facetious or not, sometimes words can spark unintended or undesired responses.

BTW, you're no mentally deranged psychotic bastard to me. :)

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Agreed! My iPhone drops calls daily, often has no signal.
Absolutly the worst " cellphone" I've ever had. Love it for everything else it does though.

Does not even work in the airport in baggage!

BTW - we are in Tucson, AZ.

I live in Marana and work all over Tucson. I have had ZERO issues and virtually no dropped calls in my 6 months of iPhone use. In fact, it has been the best phone I've used to date for signal and lack of dropped calls. I even got a weak signal at Rose Canyon near Mt Lemmon and was able to make calls.

I would say you either live in a dead zone or have a bad phone that needs to be replaced under warranty.

return it to the apple store

when I walk my dog around the block I loose reception all the time. I don't get it. I bought my phone in December 2007, can I get an exchange? I've even called AT&T to tell them that the reception is awful in my neck of the woods. I have checked the coverage map and it says I'm in the best place to get full bars. I have never jail-broken or done any modding to the phone. It was also a brand new sim card. I switched from T-Mobile where I had great coverage and rarely dropped calls. oh well?

drain your battery and tell them it drops to many calls ,and the battery sucks:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.