at&t or Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefan289, Jul 28, 2011.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Just curious as to which I should go with if I get an iPhone. I have no preference at all. Currently, I'm with T-Mobile, so couldn't care less which one I switch to. at&t sounds more familiar to me, but don't know if it's the better network.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Whichever provides the better coverage in your area
    Check around and see what other users are experiencing

3. macsimo macrumors newbie

Verizon for better voice quality and less dropped calls, you but cannot do voice and data at the same time. AT&T for faster data speed and voice and data at the same time. The iPhone and the new iPhone will not use Verizon's LTE network, so data speeds need to be compared to both networks 3G speed. In that regard AT&T generally has the edge. It really depends on what service is best in your area.

4. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

If you do go that route, keep in mind that AT&T's GSM model is locked for use only on AT&T. You'd have to unlock it if you wanted to use a different service outside of the US, which you would want to do since AT&T's international rates are ridiculous.

7. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Great point, thanks for that piece of info.

8. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Buy an unlock version of iphone at Apple store and try out either tmobile or at&t. Note on tmobile you'll only get Edge speeds.

Sent from my GT-I9100

9. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Also, which one has better compatibility with Japan?

I read that at&t does not support Japan roaming. Is this true? If so, that would be a deal breaker for me because that's really the only place out-of-country I would visit.

10. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

well you've pretty much hit a dead end there, VZW iPhone doesn't support roaming, as it's not a world phone and only operates on CDMA networks. (I think only the US, Canada and Mexico still support it).

I think you're better off buying a pre-paid overseas, or unlocking the iPhone and buying a pre-paid sim when you're there. Really depends how often you visit.

11. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

So with the Verizon iPhone, there is no Japan compatibility, whereas with the at&t iPhone, there is, but you have to swap SIMs?

12. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

There is a CDMA carrier in Japan. Verizon users are able to roam there (of course paying roaming rates).

I hate it when people that don't know what they are talking about spout out complete garbage.

13. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

So, what is the difference between the two networks for a user like me.

I will be spending 99.9% of my time in the U.S. with a once-every-few years trip outside the country (probably to Japan).

I don't care about not being able to talk and use data at the same time.

I am a very light user, but want the iPhone as a camera, iPod, phone, mobile internet device, etc.

Based on that, what would you recommend?

The thread I gave a link to before says at&t is better in South Florida, but I also found other articles/forums that say Verizon is the way to go.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I just want some suggestions based on the above criteria.

14. Geckotek, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Find out what your friends and co-workers are using. See what their experiences are.

Verizon has the more reliable network with better rural coverage, but that means nothing if your office gets no reception w/ Verizon. So check with people around you in the places you frequent.

If your travel usually takes you to Asia, CDMA is available in most Asian countries. The only bad thing is you'll be paying roaming rates. If you had an unlocked GSM iPhone you can drop in a local sim for cheaper rates (but you won't be using your home #). But for "Once-every-few years", I don't think it's worth it.

I would also think hard about Verizon, not for the next iPhone model, but for the future LTE model. Verizon will most certainly have the better LTE coverage if current rollout and past coverage patterns hold true.

15. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

If you have the cash going with GSM Unlocked version will be the best bet for any traveler.
    Besides pretty much confirmed that it won't support LTE but will support HSPA+, but you really need to find out if your main areas have good reception for AT&T or Verizon.

16. Geckotek, Jul 28, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

"Once-every-few years" means it's not worth spending the money on an unlocked phone.

Edit: FYI, for such rare travel, and if you are not going to use your own number anyway, you can rent a phone. I'm headed to China, North Korea, and South Korea in a few days. I'll be spending the last 10 days of my trip in Seoul. For kicks I just Googled "rent iphone in Seoul" and found a service that rents iPhones. So paying a few hundred extra $$ on an unlocked phone when you only travel every few years truly is a waste.

17. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Comes down to who has better coverage, and HSPA+ "4G" vs 3G.
    For me AT&T hands down with coverage and speeds, loving the HSPA+ in my area.

OP you really need to check the maps for your area.

18. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I agree, and perhaps that's the case in your area. But over most of the US Verizon's 3G blows away both AT&T's HSPA+ 3G as well as standard HSPA 3G.

But overall it really matters in the places used most often such as home and office.

19. Jemi9OD macrumors regular

Jemi9OD

Coverage maps didn't really do it when I was trying to find a wireless phone. What it boiled down to for me was finding friends who had either network, then asking them to either come to the places I frequent with the phone or let me borrow it for a few hours, depending on level of trust.

Once I did that, I had real world evidence that AT&T was the better network for me. I bought the iPhone on AT&T and haven't looked back since.

20. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

21. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

22. Geckotek, Jul 28, 2011

Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

What??? (Edit: Just re-read your post and noticed you also mentioned speed. But the focus of any phone selection should be coverage first and foremost because speed is useless on both carriers if you have no signal.)

THIS.

23. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

He probably meant to say Verizon's LTE 4G technology which is indeed faster then anything we have ever seen, but no iphone yet supports LTE.

Sent from my GT-I9100

24. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, I meant coverage.

25. applefan289 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for all the answers. I've decided on at&t.