Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Sorry, but I for one am tired of all these AT&T / DirecTV cross-promotions. DirecTV is not currently an option for me, but all of AT&T's current iPhone promotions also require DirecTV service. ^#$#&.

This isn't a cross promotion. DirecTV NOW is completely separate from DirecTV's main satellite service. DirecTV NOW is an online TV service. If you have Internet then you'd be eligible for the service. Also you don't have to have ATT Internet either.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
but you also need to upgrade your data plan with att? currently pay $150 after taxes for 200+ HD channels, 2 TiVo boxes and up to 200MB internet. I think there's a catch with this one.

nightowl

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Won't happen. They don't sell the ATV anymore since it competes with their stick.

They don't sell the ATV because there isn't an Amazon app on the ATV. Once Amazon themselves decides they want to be on the Apple TV, they will, and they will resume selling the device. There's an Amazon app on the Roku streamers, and Amazon sells them, this is no different.

Currently Amazon seems to be saying that it's Apple's fault, and Apple says anyone can develop an app. Likely, Amazon wants more favored terms for selling additional content through their app directly, which Apple hasn't given to them just yet.
[doublepost=1478550136][/doublepost]
but you also need to upgrade your data plan with att? currently pay $150 after taxes for 200+ HD channels, 2 TiVo boxes and up to 200MB internet. I think there's a catch with this one.

I don't think anyone is saying there isn't likely a catch, however, consider the price of upgrading your internet, and adding Directv Now, versus cutting the over $100 a month TV bill, and I'm sure most people will come out ahead in this one. I'm sure AT&T will come up with other services to add on to this that will improve their bottom line, but the price is right in line with other services from what we know currently.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
My only question is can I buy NFL Sunday Ticket? It is literally the only reason I have DirecTV. I was a cord cutter for a year and went back for the football package. It is a need for me and even more for my wife.

aviddk

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
SW Oregon
Spectrum charges a $200 setup fee and like $90 a month (honestly can't remember the monthly cost now; they won't show it on their website,

I am no Charter apologist for sure nor do I have the primo service. When inquiring about the $200 setup fee it was explained to me that the installer does not leave until the customer is getting the full bandwidth they are expecting. In some instances it requires substantially more time than what even $200 would cover.

itr81

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Did the cloud DVR controls allow for skipping commercials? And how long did they keep the recordings? I think Vue cloud DVR is 28 days but not sure since I do not use them. And I do not use them because they do not have an Apple TV App.

It was originally no skipping and 30 days, but that could've changed since then.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
so streaming... does that meant theres no recording or fast forwarding commercials cus thats a deal breaker. no one watches commercials in this day
I have an Apple TV (4th gen), and "cut the cord" six months ago. I watch Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube via streaming, with no commercials. Oh, wait, "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is one of the handful of shows not covered by Hulu's normal commercial-free deal (blame the studios), so one brief non-screaming commercial runs before the show. So I see one commercial a week. And I don't have to worry about recording anything, and I don't have to worry about dealing with skipping over commercials because they aren't there in the first place.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Which one is more worth it? The 1 month Fire Stick deal or the Apple TV? Don't most people hate the new AppleTV?
[doublepost=1478554108][/doublepost]
There's got to be a catch.....

It's a promo to try to boost numbers... that's really the catch. They want to hook you and hope you forget to cancel after the freebie.

Mac.Slim

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2015
Tumwater
Pay $50 more like I have to to get unlimited with no caps..

The devil is most certainly in the details of what AT&T wants from you. I have Comcast internet currently, but would switch back to AT&T if the details of this service are favorable to me. PS Vue is going to kill my 1TB bandwidth cap that Comcast has now imposed.

I'm wondering, at least for the ATV service, if they aren't thinking, rather than an actual DVR, they offer TV Anywhere access for nearly all of their channels, plus the On Demand offerings of their own, and tie that into the "TV" app that Apple is going to send down? Then you are in the Apple ecosystem for almost everything, since you can then "favorite" programs, have the newest episodes appear in the TV app, and other available programming appear there. I would be very interested to see how this may work, and would love to use just my Apple TV, rather than Amazon Fire or Roku devices in addition. Truly ties all my content into a single device.

The only thing missing, then, is the ability to have different profiles within the TV app for others in your iCloud family, so that my wife and kids have their own "favorites" on a single Apple TV device.

kevin_tron_taco

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2016
Burbank, CA
I really wonder the benefit of having DTV Now vs. Hulu? I'm intrigued by the new service but can't think of what benefit I'd get paying $35 a month vs. $12 for Hulu and just watch everything, commercial free, the next day. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Which one is more worth it? The 1 month Fire Stick deal or the Apple TV? Don't most people hate the new AppleTV?
[doublepost=1478554108][/doublepost]

It's a promo to try to boost numbers... that's really the catch. They want to hook you and hope you forget to cancel after the freebie.

ATV is great. Why would anyone hate it. The remote takes some getting used to.
[doublepost=1478556282][/doublepost]
I really wonder the benefit of having DTV Now vs. Hulu? I'm intrigued by the new service but can't think of what benefit I'd get paying $35 a month vs. $12 for Hulu and just watch everything, commercial free, the next day. Thoughts?

Sports.

David_19

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2016
If this is true I'm dumping Verizon Fios on the spot , but coming from AT&T you never know . This sounds great though

nightowl

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Sacramento, CA

Hulu doesn't have all of the cable networks, and some of what they have is significantly delayed from original airing. Plus, no CBS, so you would need to subscribe to CBS All Access to get that added in. With the two, you are at $24 a month just to get all 4 OTA networks. For an additional 11, now, you can get 96+ cable networks, and the live sports. It may or may not be worth it, depending on your individual circumstance. It's great to have options, you subscribe to just the services that you want, and can unsubscribe or pause them as it suits both your budget and your time.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
there is no denying this, I cannot wait to kick X-1 to the curb, POS.
And, while having 2 houses, and a direct tv customer for over 15 years this is better than sling, or any other hacks I have to do at the moment.

Sign me up, day 1.
Also, I can send back my boxes at the other house. Hell- I'll take 4 new apple tv's please

Mac.Slim

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2015
Tumwater
So pay $70 a month for service, plus 50 to have no cap, then pay for TV service? Now I'm right back to where I was with a traditional TV provider. The cap is only a problem for me because of streaming video. Otherwise, no issues.

I have no chose because I have 8 kids, the wife and me.. we play online games, use Netflix and youtube.. We hit 1600 TB a month give or take..

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Well.. They've just overcome one obstacle: It's 'free'

In the article it says "fire TV' not "Apple TV"

nightowl

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2003
Sacramento, CA
I have no chose because I have 8 kids, the wife and me.. we play online games, use Netflix and youtube.. We hit 1600 TB a month give or take..

That would make sense, and probably does save significant money. We were doing great until we started streaming all of our TV content, then we are at or above the 1TB a month. I'm waiting for this service to launch, and if all is as we know so far, will switch to AT&T for all services, and not have to worry about data caps any more. With Directv Now apparently not counting towards data usage, we will be back to normal usage.
[doublepost=1478564403][/doublepost]
Well.. They've just overcome one obstacle: It's 'free'

In the article it says "fire TV' not "Apple TV"
The rumor is free Fire TV with 2 months pre-payment, free Apple TV with 3 months pre-payment. Until they actually announce their plans, it's all rumor, however.

liberte1776

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2014
I have been reading about ATSC 3.0 over the last few months and like what I'm reading. ATSC 3.0 also involves the broadcast stations broadcast to mobile devices such as iPads and iPhones and others. Sometime later there will be ATSC 3.0 tuners in the iPads, iPhones, and other devices. Late next year is when ATSC 3.0 should start commercial broadcasting.

Could be sooner than that, before NAB in April the standards should be fully set for system to be in place at studios, is my understanding:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/atsc3/0031/atsc-30-standard-to-be-ready-by-2017-nab-show/279777

ATSC 3.0 tuner silicon already exists from LG and there are also retrofit cases:

http://www.tvtechnology.com/resources/0006/coming-soon-atsc-30/278850

TVT_201606-ATSC%203.0-1.jpg

TVT_201606-ATSC%203.0-2.jpg

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
all looks enticing. SlingTV was enticing though, but it had terrible stability. If they can pull it off, I'm all in on streaming TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.