AT&T purchase question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Audrey313, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Audrey313 macrumors member

Hey everyone,

Quick question...I bought my iPhone through AT&T and the screen has a short in it or something where part of it goes out sporadically. I went to AT&T (have always purchased my iPhones through them) and they said, they can no longer switch them out and you have to make an appt with the genius bar. Since this is a new phone and a defective one at that, I think I should get a brand new replacement. Can anyone tell me their experience with buying a bad phone from AT&T and then having it replaced by Apple genius bar? My month is up tomorrow and I'd like to know whether to just return it and try again or if Apple will replace it with a new phone.

Any info will be helpful and appreciated. Thanks.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

It hasn't even been out a month yet, I'm pretty sure the replacements they're handing out at Apple stores are new, that's not enough time to get them back and refurbish them.

3. itjw macrumors 65816

Again, NOT true. Apple can produce an entire phone from scratch, AND ship it from China in a matter of 2 weeks or less...

Why does everyone think it takes months to "refurb" phones???? I could see if they had none to refurb, but thanks to the OCD crowd swapping literally 6+ at a time sometimes, in the hunt for "perfection" (all of which go into the "refurb" pile by the way) Apple has PLENTY now.

Say it took them a full 2 weeks to refurb (it doesn't, but say it does). We are WELL past that now.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get one of the initial white boxed units (which WERE new), but odds are that all of them have been cycled through by now and the "refurb" pipeline is in full effect.

Why use new phones as replacements (that you could sell at full retail, fast as you can box em up) when you have plenty of customer returns to "refurb" and swap for replacements? Right. They would be stupid if they did that.

White boxes are 99% "refurb" TODAY. People need to get over that.

You are not entitled to a "new" phone as a swap for your "used" one.

4. VandyChem2009 macrumors 6502a

VandyChem2009

I don't want to offend you or cause you get to all upset, but ATT gives you 14 days with the phone to decide if you want to keep it or return it/exchange it. Why did you wait for this time to be up before going in with an issue? You can't expect to get a new phone if you waited past the return period. I'm sorry but the Genius Bar is your only option.

5. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

If he bought it new the iPhone launch day, he has 30 days. AT&T and Apple just changed thier policy to 14 days about a week ago, and it only afect purchases made after that point. Purchases before that date still are grandfathered into 30 days. So he's still good.

OP - If you like the phone and just want an exchange, just go to the Apple store. They have spares just for this purpose. In most cases I've seen, they are still new ones.