AT&T question. Does downgrading minute/data plans affect upgrade status?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bailorg, Jun 27, 2011.

1. bailorg macrumors member

bailorg

I'm currently on an AT&T Family Plan with two iPhone 3G phones and both unlimited data and minutes, but we've never really come close to even the monthly limits on the plans two levels down. (I've used 1.6GB of cellular network data since June 2009).

I'd like to downgrade my minutes and data plans but I also want to get the new iPhone whenever it comes out. All of our lines are upgrade eligible. Would downgrading our Family Plan jeopardize our upgrade status?

2. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

If you're currently eligible for an upgrade, you won't have an issue. However, in the future your upgrades will come somewhat less often. Usually AT&T gives you an upgrade after 18-24 months, but if your bill is over $100 a month, that particular line will be eligible every 12-18 months. Keep in mind that this is a rough estimate and by no means is guaranteed.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope. :)

4. JustLeft macrumors 6502

I did it a few months ago and it didn't impact my eligibility for upgrade.

5. icewing macrumors 6502

You can also change your data plan back and forth without any impact. I dropped from unlimited to 200 meg, started getting close to going over, and raised it to 2 gig, etc.