AT&T Really Blew It This Time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gan6660, Jun 15, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Does anyone else think that today was just another nail in AT&T's coffin? I mean they just messed up Apple's usually spotless record and they made Apple's own website mess up. First the network issues and now this, At&t exclusive cant last much longer.

2. kirchnrd macrumors 6502

kirchnrd

AT&T is big enough they do not care. We are all buying their services at levels that wreck the system. If Apple starts dating other people, then ATT can start to think about their customer service. Until then, we are all their little prison beeotches.

3. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Um no, APPLE really blew it this time.

STILL no word on no white at the last minute, and even immediately when the store went up early this morning, accessories had July 2nd ship dates, white wasn't ever available, their site kept going down and back up at least 3 times...

This one is NOT AT&T's fault!

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Maybe, but it's a coffin AT&T won't be resting in for a long time.

Think about it. They still have exclusivity with the iPhone and the iPad and nobody knows for sure when that will end. They also have a good number of satisfied customers. Customers that won't be jumping to other carriers IF Apple decides to spread the love, including myself.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

last time i checked apples site went down 08 and this tome too. stop being and apple suck up.

6. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

+1.

Let's stop blaming AT&T for what's not their fault. I spent an hour trying to pre-order an iPhone 4 on the Apple site, to no avail. That was a little after 1:00 AM PDT, right after they brought the store back online!

I gave up and tried the AT&T site. I got through with no trouble whatsoever. Took me a couple of minutes to complete the process.

A big thumb-down to Apple.

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You do realize that neither company has any control over how many people visit their websites, right?

All of these blame threads are ridiculous. The pre-order trouble is coming from an extreme number of people trying to get the phone. It has nothing to do with them being ill-prepared. It could happen to any website.

8. Ace R. macrumors member

+1

I dont understand why people are so shocked. That's what happens when close to a million people sign on at the same time.

9. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I was one to blame AT&T at first (habit :p) but really, this was mostly Apple. I'm quite dissapointed that not even a statement was released or anything. I'm glad my pre-order went through, but this was a **** show.

10. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

You might want to tell that to the thread starter. Why single me out?

Besides, Apple should be in a better position to predict the traffic coming onto the pre-order site than AT&T, yet the Apple site was inaccessible a lot earlier than the AT&T site.

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

+2

Take off your Apple colored glasses.

12. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

How about they both blew it? For the 3rd year in a row.

13. ichabodkky macrumors member

It's called the Digg effect. Many sites go down once they hit the front page of digg because they can't handle the traffic. Same thing here. I guess it's good that my pre-order didn't go through...... Wife walked out on me and the kids today. Looks like no new iPhone for me right now.

14. Lamarak macrumors 6502

+2

No different than a normal day on a freeway that has a sporting or concert event and crowded with cars that normally wouldn't be there. Some of these Im entitled threads are kinda sad. Its a phone, after a few months wont make any difference when you got it, the 24th of June or later, if its a good phone, you will be happy. Just dont get that if get a phone a few days later, how that makes a giant emergency for ATT or Apple.

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

AT&T's site was not down. Apple's was so ATT, Best Buy, and Radio Shack could not log in to do the pre orders so get a clue will ya!

16. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I will say this in defense, the turnout today just to PRE-ORDER was absolute insanity. I've never seen such a demand for an Apple product. Did you all see the pictures from Japan (I believe) of people lined up down the entire block?! They knew there would be demand, but not this much.

17. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i got past the eligibility and had a few time that is was apples fault where i couldn't get the deliver option... so they are BOTH at fault....

18. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

Yes, that's Japan. For some reason the Apple store over there did not accept pre-orders online, so those who wanted to pre-order from Apple had to take to the street. The carrier, Softbank, did, but their server went down shortly after 5:00 PM JST (1:00 AM PDT) so both those who tried online and those who were waiting in line at the Softbank stores had to be turned away. How pathetic.

19. klitorisaurus macrumors member

I expected the slowdowns, crashes, and general clusterf*ck that ensued.

I did NOT however, expect to be denied a white phone with ZERO explanation.

Apple failed, AT&T just stayed right where their low bar has always been.

20. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As I said in another thread, I get that today and activation days are MASSIVE, basically unprecedented days for these companies in terms of people ordering/viewing the sites

But, I mean....I refuse to believe that these two billion dollar companies can't come up with something that works better than what we seem to be getting which is a day full of shut downs, errors, etc....from basically morning to evening

21. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

AT&T was the only site I was able to pass the first couple of pages and got close to the end. I couldn't go anywhere on apples website without seeing "OOPS". I ultimately went to the AT&T store where they were super friendly and helpful.

22. Baltika09 macrumors member

As far as I'm concerned, this is both their faults. However, more than anything, I feel that because so many people had so many problems on Apple's site, like me, I was only able to get through on AT&T's site to finally order, that Apple really needs to step up and, to the best of their ability, make sure that AT&T has enough stock to supply all the customers who ordered today and are now being told we wont receive out phones on launch day. This whole fiasco is as much Apple's fault as AT&T's and they need to take care of their customers. Will this happen? Probably not. Neither Apple, nor AT&T care about their customers, because there will always be thousands more behind us to swap up the next product, no matter how nasty a taste is left in our mouths.

23. iTiki macrumors 6502

What a f***ed up mess. How can two major companies who like to stand on the mountain top and tell the world how wonderful they are, screw up something so simple as taking pre-orders? Unprecedented demand? B.S. These companies are sophisticated enough to know what is needed to take care of the demand. They just don't care because they know in the end, everyone will still buy regardless of the hassle. Plus, the marketing department loves all the press about long lines and huge demand. It's all part of the game. Shortly after release, you will be able to walk into Apple, AT&T, Walmart or RadioShack and walk out with a phone. It's just not worth the frustration to spend all day trying to buy something that should cost half of what it cost and then let AT&T jerk your short hairs for two years after that. Step back and relax...

24. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I couldn't agree with you more!
    It's all PR BS!

25. fuzion macrumors 6502

You really can't predict internet traffic, because they had no idea how many of the millions of customers would want to upgrade.

Further...... how do you know there weren't bottlenecks on equipment from your provider enroute to the apple or ATT servers? There was a ******** of traffic in the last 24 hours to AT&T and Apple, equipment gets overwhelmed no matter what. Let's say they prepped for 1 million hits in one hour, what happens when 1 million people each open up 2 instances of the site to try and get in? Bogged down. Now have those people trying to upgrade on both tabs to make sure one of the two gets through.. the eligibility check to the ATT servers are getting hammered more than they need because people are so eager to get it.

It sucks, but there's no epic fail... just a boatload of eager iPhone users.