Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XLR8

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2009
It's no ones fault. Do you understand how websites and servers work? Do you really think that ATT and Apple could have upgraded their servers to handle the massive and I mean massive rush that was the iPhone 4 pre-order? Why is it when something like this happens we instantly blame the companies. I would imagine at least 2 million people beat both Apple and ATT's servers to death today, I'm sorry I see no fault in either company.

They have numbers from past product launches and enough data to forecast what their server load will be. It's poor strategy and planning IMO. I'm wondering now, Do I really want my phone on this network if they can't even allow people to order the damn thing without giving us error messages that make no sense?

GinoDotCom

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Who cares if we reserve the iPhone4 tonight or tomorrow.... We're still ALL receiving it no earlier than 24th.

By some point tomorrow everything will all be better and well all be able to reserve it.

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
They have numbers from past product launches and enough data to forecast what their server load will be. It's poor strategy and planning IMO. I'm wondering now, Do I really want my phone on this network if they can't even allow people to order the damn thing without giving us error messages that make no sense?

Lets say they planned 50%+ last year. And it ended up blowing all expectations and coming in at 250%+.

How is that poor planning?

If you're really concerned about the shopping experience, I'd suggest buying in a month or two.

XLR8

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2009
Lets say they planned 50%+ last year. And it ended up blowing all expectations and coming in at 250%+.

How is that poor planning?

If you're really concerned about the shopping experience, I'd suggest buying in a month or two.

Heh heh, I'd stick to doing Youtube videos if I were you.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Lol, I guess i'm just feeling sorry for them because I watch my users login and then BAM OUTLOOK WORD EXCEL ADOBE (... just to HAVE adobe open, not actually using it), IE TO LOAD NEWS SITES, FACEBOOK.......... "WHY IS IT SO SLOW?"
Looks like your users collect some of the worst memory-hungry apps on their desktops. Hope you don't have to deal with them every day!

And IE? Jeez. :D

creeman

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
There is only so much Apple and AT&T can do to prepare for a day like today...they knew it would be busy, they knew their servers would most likely crash. But what do you want them to do? But a couple thousand more servers to handle the load for one day? Not gonna happen.

maf2k8

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2009
How did ATT or APPLE blow it???? :confused:

They sold out of the iPhone within 24hrs!!! iam sure they sold close to 500,000-1,000,000 units!!!

They blew it??? lmao!!!

I would like to sell 500,000 products within a 24hr time frame and consider that "blowing it"

ATT and APPLE cashed in today and the ones who lucked out are now going to whine....

I lucked out, i dont care because i know there will be a ton at the Apple store come the "25th" since they only hold reservations for 24hrs and 1/4 of them are probably not going to show, forget or got it elsewhere.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Does anyone else think that today was just another nail in AT&T's coffin? I mean they just messed up Apple's usually spotless record and they made Apple's own website mess up. First the network issues and now this, At&t exclusive cant last much longer.

I couldn't have said it better. You are right on with this one.

AT&T made Apple look bad.

AT&T servers kept jamming all day long, and that cause Apple's servers to look like they were jamming because they couldn't get requests returned from AT&T and so it looked like the Apple website was frozen too. It wasn't; it was just waiting.

splashnader

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Via Satellite
Actually ATT's site held up for much of the morning and afternoon. It was Apple's site that was routinely off line throughout the day. Most people ordered their phones through ATT without any problems. That is why ATT sold out of their alotment of phones way before Apple. In fact if Apple had been able to keep their servers online, ATT's servers wouldn't have been overloaded so bad that they eventually crashed.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
You do realize that neither company has any control over how many people visit their websites, right?

All of these blame threads are ridiculous. The pre-order trouble is coming from an extreme number of people trying to get the phone. It has nothing to do with them being ill-prepared. It could happen to any website.

Think that sums it up nicely. It's looking like demand was just ridiculous, not just in the us but in all countries the iPhone was launching in and not helped by partner carriers not launching pre-orders on the same day so all THEIR traffic went to apple's site as well.

Must admit I'm a little surprised at the general attitude around here recently, seems if some can't get what they want right now it's toys out of pram time.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Does anyone else think that today was just another nail in AT&T's coffin? I mean they just messed up Apple's usually spotless record and they made Apple's own website mess up. First the network issues and now this, At&t exclusive cant last much longer.
Oh please. Funny how Apple can do no wrong, and AT&T can do no right in the eyes of Apple victims.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
seems if some can't get what they want right now it's toys out of pram time.

You are over-exaggerating a bit too much to try and get your point across.

Nobody said Apple had to be perfect, Nobody said they want everything to go 100% smoothly....people are complaining about error messages, wait times, etc....things that they have a legit gripe about

If you are unable to handle some legit criticism when it is deserved, the forum may not be for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.