Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
now popular on digg

http://digg.com/gadgets/AT_T_issues_official_statement_on_SlingPlayer_s_3G_blackout

dolfan0516dolfan0516 : I have ATT and use the mobile SlingPlayer on my Blackberry Bold, so this decision is from a combination of ATT, Apple, and Sling Media...
Streaming is restricted to Wi-Fi only at Apple's request

Statement one is incorrect. I can tell you that Sling Media wants the 3G option and did not "decide" to remove it for the iPhone platform. They were forced by ATT via Apple.

Statement two is absolutely correct.

ajborda

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2009
SlingPlayer Mobile for iPhone

Thanks for nothing - I have a Classic Slingbox and will not be purchasing a new devices and I wanted this over 3G - WIFI has no value for me with this technology.

kernyboy

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2007
This pile of Crock is Insane!!!

I called ATT today...

The first thing i ask the rep is "in your own words, please define unlimited." After a bit of hesitation, She goes on to say "it means you can use something as much as you'd like" I said, thank you and proceeded to ask:

"If I say to you, you can have unlimited drinks at a bar, then stopped you at round two, would you feel cheated"

She laughed, and said "well, yes...that'd be a bad date"

So then I hit her with..."So why do I pay for unlimited internet and I have a 5GB cap...I read the fine print? This smells of false advertising"

She chuckled then She congratulated me on being on of the first customers she's EVER had call in who actually READ the fine print. She said, and I quote, "not to make fun of you, but that REALLY is weird. You ACTUALLY read it?"

to which i reply "um, yeah"

She said ATT sets it at 5GB because they just KNOW no one will EVER go over 5GB. So I ask what would happen if you did, this being 2009 and all and people stream vids all the time...seeing that its "unlimited" and all and it shouldnt matter. She said "they will either cancel your account, or charge you overage"

but isn't it UNLIMITED??! "Yes" she said, "but its limited to 5GB".

WTF??!

If its NOT unlimited, call it what it is, the 5GB plan! Is that so hard?! SOOOO shady and deceptive.

I seriously plan on setting up 1GB iPhone QT videos on my web server and stream them via safari EVERYDAY for 30 days! Then what? Are they going to CHARGE me for going over my unlimited internet plan?? I can't just go making up stuff. I mean,

when it come times to pay my phone bill at the end of the month...I can't say "I'll pay the full amount* AT&T!!"

* full amount = less than half of the current bill

and get away with that crap.

I Really want to cancel my account with them this is getting to be too much, but I need a good iPhone replacement. Any suggestions??

jbarrychristian

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
I didn't bring him into it

WTF does have to do with Obama? Go away!

I didn't bring him into it. I was responding to someone else saying that a grass roots movement is what resulted in his being president and that would be a way to fix the AT&T monopoly issue. I disagreed and decided to illustrate this in a less than simple and direct way by the use of sarcasm.

I might have gotten carried away in my sarcastic rancor for him, but I had just read an article about something he did or said he was going to do that really ticked me off.

If you want to follow me around on this forum and tell me to shut up every time I talk about or even reference the president or anything else you hold dear or maybe just don't want to hear, why don't you just send me a private message like I did to you after your last post. I am sending this publicly now because I am really getting tired of you posting publicly about it.

Or, perhaps you could just get a life and not read my posts.

However, I will not reply to you again. I will just put you on "ignore" from now on. If you have a beef with me, just send me a private message.

l33tpmp

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
Let AT&T Know It's Wrong

Randall Stephenson, AT&T CEO
rs2982@att.com (direct)
randall.stephenson@att.com
phone: 210-351-5401 (direct to his secretary)
fax 210-351-3553
alternate phone: 210-821-4105 (headquarters, press 3, ask for Mr. Stephenson's office)
175 E. Houston
San Antonio, TX 78205

TomiY1

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
I didn't bring him into it. I was responding to someone else saying that a grass roots movement is what resulted in his being president and that would be a way to fix the AT&T monopoly issue. I disagreed and decided to illustrate this in a less than simple and direct way by the use of sarcasm.

I might have gotten carried away in my sarcastic rancor for him, but I had just read an article about something he did or said he was going to do that really ticked me off.

If you want to follow me around on this forum and tell me to shut up every time I talk about or even reference the president or anything else you hold dear or maybe just don't want to hear, why don't you just send me a private message like I did to you after your last post. I am sending this publicly now because I am really getting tired of you posting publicly about it.

Or, perhaps you could just get a life and not read my posts.

However, I will not reply to you again. I will just put you on "ignore" from now on. If you have a beef with me, just send me a private message.

you get a big thumbs up jbarrychristian :D

donbadman

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2006
London
I wouldn't be supprised if ATT are not getting royally screwed by apple over this as I'd imagine slingbox to be less than flavour of the month over at Apple HQ.

Interesting there's no word from O2 or the other international carriers about this 'issue' I do have to question some of Apples recent business tactics the seem to resemble the bad days of microsoft more and more.

When can you just store you're files on the iphone like I used to on my old ipod? Why can you do this on most smart phones but apparently not on 'the best smartphone'? Seems to me that apple does much to limit the possibilities of the technology and is holding back features from customers for various protectionist reasons. Not good...

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Another Reason

Gizmodo is suggesting that AT&T does not want SlingPlayer Mobile on their 3G network because they have been working on a competitor named i-Verse which works with their U-Verse TV DVR solution.

dieprettyponies

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
in their defense...

While it is kinda selfish of AT&T not to allow iPhone 3G streaming, but it kind of makes sense, since the number of people who would use the app could overload the system. Other platforms rarely have enough users just because of the shear difficulty (at least until recently) of getting the actual app on the phone. Still, I think that hardly overlooks the fact that you can only use it over wifi, which does not make the app worth 30 bucks in my opinion.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Gizmodo is suggesting that AT&T does not want SlingPlayer Mobile on their 3G network because they have been working on a competitor named i-Verse which works with their U-Verse TV DVR solution.

This might be true, but if it is true, then it smells bad. Really, really bad. It is exactly because AT&T does *not* have a lot of control over which applications are allowed onto the iPhone that I have purchased an iPhone and stayed with AT&T against my better judgment.

Basically what we can expect from here on out is AT&T trying to leverage more and more control over the App store on applications that put too much of a strain on AT&Ts fragile network *or* that compete in any fashion with any services or products that AT&T wishes to offer directly.

Maybe if AT&T executives spent less money on booze, hookers and private jets there would be enough funds to provide the network that we are all paying for.

iPhone being offered by other carriers can't happen f*king soon enough!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Wow after reading through this thread as badly as I want an iPhone I'm not going to switch to ATT for it. I had no idea ATT was such a trash company. Offering unlimited and then capping it? Banning apps from working because "itll hurt our network". Complete garbage.

Sounds like Comcast when they were crying over how people downloading media files is hurting their bandwidth. Funny how OTHER COUNTRIES combat this "problem" just fine...(and other providers)

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Wow after reading through this thread as badly as I want an iPhone I'm not going to switch to ATT for it. I had no idea ATT was such a trash company. Offering unlimited and then capping it? Banning apps from working because "itll hurt our network". Complete garbage.

Sounds like Comcast when they were crying over how people downloading media files is hurting their bandwidth. Funny how OTHER COUNTRIES combat this "problem" just fine...(and other providers)

Actually, i think ALL carriers cap their "unlimited" in the US.... i know Sprint & Verizon do. I think Verizon was the first to do it, and then the rest fell in line. It's been capped for a few years with them - the whole time i've had my Treo.

Unlimited.... as long as it's not over 5gb/mo....

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Actually, i think ALL carriers cap their "unlimited" in the US.... i know Sprint & Verizon do. I think Verizon was the first to do it, and then the rest fell in line. It's been capped for a few years with them - the whole time i've had my Treo.

Unlimited.... as long as it's not over 5gb/mo....

It should definitely be illegal to claim unlimited if its not unlimited. No matter how you dice it its bait and switch. (Like awhile when I worked at Circuit City and each week there were tons of "Ad Corrections". Sorry, its in the ad the customer drove to the store to get it, it should be at that price)

I think your correct about the caps too. I never bothered to check but it does make me mad that ATT is letting the app run free on other phones, just not the iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.