AT&T rep: iPhone is a "toy phone"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SilentCrs, Aug 4, 2008.

1. SilentCrs macrumors regular

Thought this was amusing (although not necessarily in a good way).

Went into the AT&T store yesterday to pick up a case. This is the same AT&T store I bought a replacement iPhone 3G from (I ended up toss my first 3G in the washing machine by accident). :/ Previously owned a 1st generation.

In any case, I overhear the salesperson talking to a customer about phones. The customer asks what's the difference between a Blackberry and the iPhone.

"The iPhone is a toy phone," the AT&T rep says. "Don't get me wrong. It's fun. But it's not for real work."

Now, I've had Blackberries for years (I work for a major financial). They certainly have their advantages. However, I wouldn't say my iPhone is a "toy". On more than one occasion I've used it to VNC into servers, browse our corporate website, etc which -- while doable on a Blackberry, is a lot easier on the iPhone.

I wanted to say something to the guy, but I'm not one of those people that likes to vehementally defend Apple products. I'm sure he was simply saying what he was saying to sell a phone that day (because they of course had no iPhones in stock).

Still, I can't help but feel that this particular AT&T rep was a less than stellar "partner" for Apple. It's like if I went into a Toyota dealership and the salesguy said "Yeah, the Prius is nice. However, if you want a car that can do REAL work, you'll want a Tacoma." (Never mind the fact that the Tacoma uses up twice as much gas -- they don't have Priuses in stock anyway).

2. daflake macrumors 6502a

Makes you wonder eh. The guy probably is on comission and didn't have an iphone in stock. Looking to sell he pumped the BB at the customer. ;)

3. markgamber macrumors 6502

At least he's honest. The iPhone is totally lacking 90% of the business tools included with every Blackberry and Windows Mobile phone I've used. Maybe it'll catch up one day (assuming everything else stays exactly where it is) but everyone I saw with their noses stuck in their Blackberries two weeks ago still has them there. They haven't bought an iPhone and they have no plans to do so. I bought an iPhone for development but I also bought a Tilt to compensate for all it's shortcomings and I kept my Blackberry for actual work.

4. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

i think at&t is awful. i've never had a good experience with them. i do like them better than verizon or sprint and they have better coverage than t-mobile here so i'm with them. but i would never "speak highly" of them.

an at&t employee bashing the iphone like that is what i'd expect from them. the iphone is no toy, as plasticy as it may be now (actually i'm using the metal "classic") but i guess that makes us people playing with toys....there is SOME truth to that :D

oh well, we DO have iphones, we know the difference.

5. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

After playing with my friend's BlackJack this weekend, I can honestly say I'm glad my iPhone is a toy. After literally 30 seconds, the BlackJack's appeal was gone and I realized it was useless to me. Now to a businessman, perhaps it may have some added functionality. However, with the 2.0 software update I've been hearing good things about business integration.

6. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

Overstate much?

I agree that the iPhone is missing (or not as good in) some aspects of crucial business phones, but 90%? I don't think so. I don't usually get involved in these discussions, but the hyperbole is really something.

I'm coming from a Treo, and I had to make a few sacrifices to move the the iPhone, but I did it with my eyes open, and I'm finding my way through to get what I need done. I definitely understand why some Blackberry users are staying with Blackberry, but I wouldn't even go so far as to say that the iPhone is missing 25% of what it would need to be completely congruent with business use.

Anyway...back to the OP.

The iPhone isn't a toy. :rolleyes:

7. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Tell that to my girlfriend! :D

8. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Well Said.

10. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Did he also happen to have a Zune attached to his hip? A toy phone is the free crap plastic phone that you give your baby niece after 6 months of 'hard' use for her to play with so she doesn't drool all over your new disposable plastic free phone.

Exactly what do 'hardcore' blackberry users do with their phones? I mean really. Make calls? Check e-mail? Listen to voicemail? Make some notes? What exactly are people in the 'corporate' world doing with a phone? I'm not asking sarcastically, I just really have no idea.

11. FJR macrumors regular

to the people jumping all over the AT&T guy. You have to realize, that things like this are at least partially Apple's fault. Apple isn't getting them phones, they're a business that is based around selling phones, its easier to sell something you actually have, AT&T has blackberries laying around in piles.

Apple made a choice of when to release the 3G and how much product they were putting out there. All choices involve some tradeoffs and having sales reps badmouth your product when they don't have any of it to sell is a tradeoff you are making for sending less product to AT&T stores. Was it a bad choice? No. Was it a perfect choice? Obviously not.

If you are a salesman you are trained to do what it takes to make the sell right then. Not hope they come back in two weeks, when you MIGHT have some iPhones. Its a dog eat dog world unfortunately.

As far as the iPhone being a toy, yeah, that's a vast overstatement, but for a lot of business users, the blackberry is still a better device for their very limited needs of a phone. Its better with email, that's the biggest thing. As much as the multi-touch keyboard is better for almost everything else, the blackberry keyboard is simply better for long emails. There is still better support for it in the business world.

12. djgamble macrumors 6502a

Excellent question. I want to know too...

People love to claim authority over this kind of technology "oh it's just not up there for my corporate use"... "I wouldn't call it a smartphone." I'm in your boat, I have no idea what the iPhone's missing (and don't mention copy/paste and little things like that, I'm talking about serious corporate functions).

I want big business functions... things that show that you do work that is a damn lot more complicated than what I do on my iPhone, and it simply wouldn't cut it using an iPhone.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

They may get more comission on a BB.

They sold one to my cousin, who is a small business owner. But all she uses is the phone part.... :eek:

14. mike12806 macrumors 6502

Maybe the salesperson was trying to make the "hard sell", aka the blackberry? Were they out of iphones? The salesperson probably just wanted to make his/her comission, I wouldn't read into it that much! :p

15. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

welp, there goes his commission on the iphone. :eek:

FAIL!

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Search.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

And why is that? Probably because Blacberries haven't seen nearly the demand that the iPhone has. If it's Apple's fault that people are STILL lining up for this phone weeks after release, then sure, guilty as charged. That does not justify giving people misinformation.

If what you re saying is true, and AT&T is chafing at their relationship with Apple so much, the maybe they shouldn't have signed on for another year.

But fortunately, what you're saying is NOT true. :)

Then why is RIM even bothering to come out with the Thunder?

18. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You will need to prove your numbers.

You're not counting all the AT&T Wireless Authorized Resellers who sell the BB but not the iPhone. Not to mention corporate buyers.

For every person that orders the iPhone, how many walk out with a BB?

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, if someone is REALLY serious about business use, they should probably go to Verizon.

I mean, since we're talking about big, serious things here, that is. If the iPhone is a toy phone (since Blackberries do more), then AT&T is a toy network (since Verizon has better coverage). Hey, I'm fine with the toy phone and the toy network...I'm loving my iPhone! But if you're trying to steer a customer to a more "serious" option I'd think this would be something else to explain to them!

20. FJR macrumors regular

take off the fanboy glasses for a minute and re-read what I said. I didn't say AT&T is chafing at their relationship with apple, I am sure they are loving it. What I AM saying is that Apple made a CHOICE to have these lines. They knew what they were doing. They could have pushed the iPhone back a while, built enough handsets so that there wouldn't be shortages and this wouldn't be an issue. That isn't the choice they made. Im not saying that it was the wrong choice, the positives of that choice far outweighed the negatives, but there are negatives.

The salesperson wasn't giving out FALSE information, he was putting a product he did have plenty to sell of in a good light and a product he didn't have to sell (again, because AT&T stores don't have enough, because of choices apple made) in a bad light. His livelihood is based on selling phones RIGHT NOW. I personally am not going to judge a man for putting a spin on things, when his livelihood is involved. It's really no different than the new 3G commercial apple put out that shows it working approximately 123542 times faster than anybody's 3G iPhone I've ever seen. If you want to call something misinformation, watch that commercial and try to simulate it on your iPhone.

Because they're taking aim at the normal consumer market, as they are with the pearl. RIM does this thing where they have multiple models that are aimed at different people. I know its weird that a phone comapny makes more than one model of phone, but it does happen from time to time.

21. MrGiggles058 macrumors newbie

MrGiggles058

Apple or Blackberry

I've used Blackberries and Iphones products as far as i'm concerned If I was using the phone for business I would not go with the Iphone for many reasons

1.Iphone will not forward messages (HUGE Problem) and the email compared to that of a blackberry is subpar.

2. 90% of big businesses operate a BES or BIS Server which the blackberry is in direct connection with. This will allow the blackberry to automatically update with any info the business needs to get out to there people.

3. We all know the Iphone does not have as good a speaker or call quality compared to that of a blackberry.

4. The Iphone and all other apple products have Many Many Many more bugs thats why when you go to the apple store and to the Genius Bar they have to take reservations because they are always backed up with stupid problems with their products.

5.Iphones battery life does not last anywhere near that of a blackberries.

6. The Iphone cannot copy and paste that is so annoying. The blackberry of course can.

There are many more reasons but i will stop here.

This being said I am an owner of the original Iphone and I love it. I dont use my phone for business so I dont really care about those things. BUT if you do the blackberry is a better choice. :D

22. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Putting aside the relative merits of the two devices, do you think that this has nothing to do with the fact that a huge percentage of BB users are provided their devices by their employer and are essentially tied to the BB for use in their corporate environment?

What's next, dismissing Apple because lots of people still have Windows on their work laptops?

23. gibbz macrumors 68030

I guess BB vs. iPhone is the next Mac vs. Windows debate.

"Macs are only for creative people and if you want to do any business, you need Windows."

"iPhone is a toy and is missing 90% of business features that a BB has."

Seems both debates have a lot in common. People holding onto an older technology that they claim the newer can't do. The reality is that people understand the status quo, and to avoid the risk of looking unknowledgeable, simply bash the new technology.

All I know is the UI for the BB is nowhere near that of the iPhone. The screen on the iPhone is much better. As far as productivity, I have Exchange working, great internet, an awesome calendar, and note-taking ability. Oh and people can make applications to fill holes left by Apple. Best yet, all that functionality coexists with limitless entertainment.... iPod, video, youtube, games. What is it with the fear of having pleasure mixed with business in one device? If that defines a toy, I'll take a toy any day over the crappy "serious business users only" device.

24. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

+1 I'm in the same boat. My business has a BES server that seamlessly integrates our MSX 2007 (mail, calendar, contacts and tasks) server with our BB devices. Our BB devices also support an OCS (Office Communicator Server) client for chat and presence. Until the iPhone can provide these services, along with improved centralized management, it will have a hard time significantly penetrating the business market.

Don't get me wrong, I would much rather carry around an iPhone for work than my current BB, but the iPhone still has a few hurdles to overcome. Apple will probably need to build a more physically robust iPhone as business users are extremely hard on their mobile devices (they didn't pay for them so they don't really care). If Apple is serious about penetrating the business market with the iPhone we should have some good things to look forward to with the iPhone.

BlackBerry has been playing in this field for years, let's give the iPhone some time to catch up and see what happens.

25. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Thank you for posting real world examples of the limits of an iPhone. I love mine to death, but your examples do make the BB look better in terms of a business device. I haven't seen anyone put a post like this together before. Well said