AT&T Reports 3.1 Million iPhone Activations in 4Q 2009

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AT&T today released its earnings report for the fourth quarter of 2009, revealing that the company activated 3.1 million iPhones on its network during the quarter, just shy of the record 3.2 million iPhone activated in the previous quarter. The iPhone continues to be a major contributor to AT&T's "integrated devices" segment of smartphones, which have grown to 46.4% of the company's postpaid subscriber base and who continue to generate 1.8 times the average monthly revenues of traditional phone users.

Overall, AT&T experienced a net gain of 2.7 million wireless subscribers for the quarter, the company's second highest net gain in history. Over 4 million postpaid integrated devices were added to the company's base during the quarter, and while the activation of 3.1 million iPhones might suggest that Apple was responsible for approximately 75% of the total smartphone additions, the company has in the past noted that not all iPhone activations represent new devices sold. AT&T's "activations" term includes existing handsets transferred to new owners, making comparisons between new activations and device additions invalid.

Not addressed in AT&T's earnings release is Apple's new iPad tablet device. Apple and AT&T have partnered on the 3G-capable versions of the iPad in the U.S., with AT&T offering no-contract data plans for the device at $14.99 (250 MB) and $29.99 (unlimited) monthly price points. The 3G-capable iPad models are not expected to begin shipping for another 90 days.

Article Link: AT&T Reports 3.1 Million iPhone Activations in 4Q 2009

pacohaas

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
sure would be nice if iPhone owners could have that $14.99 plan. I rarely go over 100MB/month with Wifi available almost everywhere I land, I just need the 3G for the inbetween time.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Better yet give me iPhone Plus iPad connectivity unlimited for say $40. I'd be willing to bump my iPhone bill $10 a month for unlimited iPad connectivity, but the truth is I won't be using both at the same time will I.

homsar

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Question I haven't seen looked at anywhere yet: how limited is unlimited? Last time I checked over here [edit: UK], the "unlimited" iPhone data plan was 750MB/month.

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Question I haven't seen looked at anywhere yet: how limited is unlimited? Last time I checked over here, the "unlimited" iPhone data plan was 750MB/month.
I think the soft cap on AT&T is 5gb, which is really hard to hit unless you're tethering (which you're not supposed to be doing anyway).

interesting numbers in this article. As much as people complain about AT&T, I guess they like the iPhone more than they dislike the service. I know I do (though I'm actually pretty happy with AT&T - 2 drops in 2.5 years and coverage everywhere I've been. 3G does really slow down at some times/places though).

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
AT&T's "activations" term includes existing handsets transferred to new owners, making comparisons between new activations and device additions invalid.
Dec-quarter 08: 1.9 mio ATT vs. 4.4 mio total, that's 44%
Sept-quarter 09: 3.2 mio ATT vs. 7.4 mio total, that's 43%
Dec-quarter 09: 3.1 mio ATT vs. 8.7 mio total, that's 35%

That's a remakable drop. These can not be the activation terms alone. International sales? Or is it AT&Ts bad reputation these days?

dizzy13

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Miami
Apple didn't really partner with ATT on this. ATT is just the only US provider that supports the world standard completely.

As they said yesterday the 3G in the iPad is unlocked.

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Why would AT&T be worried about improving service or prices when sales are this good?
I want APPLE to drop AT&T and sign with a competitor, forceing AT&T to step up their game and lower their prices.

BTW, does anyone remember the guy who said Tethering to be available in the US by Fall of 2009?

homsar

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2009
Apple didn't really partner with ATT on this. ATT is just the only US provider that supports the world standard completely.

As they said yesterday the 3G in the iPad is unlocked.
I got the impression though that they'd pulled some strings to get the sub-average pricing...

dizzy13

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Miami
I got the impression though that they'd pulled some strings to get the sub-average pricing...
I was more taken back by the month to month no contract part of the deal. I'm also wondering if ATT will start offering 14.99 plan for iPhone plans.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
I want APPLE to drop AT&T and sign with a competitor, forceing AT&T to step up their game and lower their prices.

BTW, does anyone remember the guy who said Tethering to be available in the US by Fall of 2009?
In your dreams, idiot. You AT&T-haters are funny, believing your own "party line". Don't you get it by now? Neither Apple nor AT&T are the slightest bit interested in ending their exclusivity agreements. They're both doing very well with the arrangement--especially now in light of the iPad and its data plans.

AT&T was caught flat in various areas because of the unpredicted success of the iPhone and the load it put on the existing network infrastructure. They're working on upgrades, but those take time. In the mean time they have to simply weather the storm of complaints. But they'll weather it.

So get over it or go somewhere else. You won't be missed.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
In your dreams, idiot. You AT&T-haters are funny, believing your own "party line". Don't you get it by now? Neither Apple nor AT&T are the slightest bit interested in ending their exclusivity agreements. They're both doing very well with the arrangement--especially now in light of the iPad and its data plans.

AT&T was caught flat in various areas because of the unpredicted success of the iPhone and the load it put on the existing network infrastructure. They're working on upgrades, but those take time. In the mean time they have to simply weather the storm of complaints. But they'll weather it.

+1;) , but I would like 3G in my area before the next gen iPhone:rolleyes:
my local AT&T guy keeps saying "we're next".....

patsfan83

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2008
I think the ability to turn on 3G on the iPad at your own convenience, for $15/mo with no contract is unbelievable. Verizon would never have let that happen.

ATT is trying to change it's game here. If they offered tiered iPhone data plans, that would force Sprint and Verizon to step up their game as well.

Imagine the commercials that would come out comparing a $15 data plan for the iPhone? It's very hard to use more than 250MB of data per month with all of the hotspots that are around.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I am confused.

Isn't dumping the iPad onto AT&T's creaky network going to create a huge problem for Apple?

What is the mini-sim thing? Which network does it actually connect to?

I thought the no contract tiered plans and the sim thing were a lot more interesting and potentially useful than the lack of features 123 people might use.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Verizon's CDMA backwards and slow

Verizon is going to be hurting for several years until their 4G Footprint covers most of the US (2014 according to them). All of the global players (Apple, Amazon, Sony) are building 3G-HSPA capable devices....these can be sold and used worldwide. AT&T supports this standard in the US. Verizon does not. The iPad, Kindle, eReader are all global devices...Verizon is going to suffer a while.

A Mac Gamer

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
US

I don't get this mindset at all. Why would you want a phone to be exclusive to one carrier? I don't get ATT in my area so I can't get the iPhone as long as its with ATT. Do I love Verizon? Not really, they are not cheap, but I get pretty good coverage where ever I go.

So, tell me... why is competition bad? It is good for the consumer.
Just because the iPhone goes to other carries doesn't mean its getting dropped by ATT either... so I don't get it.

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
One thing that was never mentioned. Do I need to already be an AT&T phone customer to get the data only contract free deal? I have Verizon for phone but would certainly be happy to buy data from time to time for the iPad when I travel. Wouldn't need it at home.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple is in the driver's seat. AT&T must be paying big bucks for exclusivity. And when that agreement runs out, Apple can sit back and wait for the highest bidder or let everyone sell iPhones for them. They win either way. Enjoy it while you can, AT&T.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Verizon is going to be hurting for several years until their 4G Footprint covers most of the US (2014 according to them). All of the global players (Apple, Amazon, Sony) are building 3G-HSPA capable devices....these can be sold and used worldwide. AT&T supports this standard in the US. Verizon does not. The iPad, Kindle, eReader are all global devices...Verizon is going to suffer a while.
Actually when you look a little deeper, VZW is doing quite fine.

VZW's operating profit = $4.3 billion
AT&T Wireless' operating profit = $3.4 billion

AT&T Wireless has a million e-reader subscribers --- that pays $2 ARPU a month to the carrier.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story..._medium=rss&utm_source=rss&cmp-id=OTC-RSS-FW0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.