AT&T Ruined My iPhone Marriage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrew8404, Feb 11, 2012.

1. andrew8404 macrumors regular

Monday will be a sad day for me because I'm officially cheating on my iPhone and getting a Verizon Nexus because AT&T sucks. My iPhone and I have lived happily together for the past five years as I upgraded to each new iPhone. Even though people gave AT&T crap about there service I happily stood by them enjoying my iphone and unlimited data. Sadly, that dream came to a crash last week when AT&T told me I was in the top 5% of data users at 2gb with only 8 days left on my bill! They slowed my service down to 0.05mbs which made my iPhone pretty much useless. I called and pleaded with AT&T trying to figure out how they could do that on my unlimited plan but to no avail. Luckily for me Verizon happened to offer there double the data plan for the price of one. That offer was too good to pass up especially with 4g LTE. I also saw amazon was having an awesome sale on all there phones. So yesterday I officially ordered a Verizon Nexus for 99 bucks in which amazon also gave me a free USB car charger. I also got the 10gb plan which should be plenty of data for me though I'm tempted to go for more due to 4g streaming. The phone arrives Monday and the feeling will be bitter sweet to say the least especially as I type this from my iPhone 4s. I have never used an android phone so I'm sure it will be a steep learning curve but I'm sure it will get me by until the time I can be reunited with the iPhone 5 or 6. Thanks AT&T for ruining a perfectly good relationship and I will never again return to your greedy network.

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

AT&T didn't make you cheat on your iPhone, you chose this. Will I judge you? No. But Verizon has the same iPhones AT&T does. If you want to stick with iPhone, you certainly can. If not, that is your choice.

PS, shoulda gone in on the unlimited data loophole, if you are big on data consumption and all.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

cool story bro. Tell it again...
    Kidding- That sucks that it did not work out with you, good luck :)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Oh goodie, another thread about at&t and throttling.:rolleyes:

5. kalex macrumors 65816

ATT did it :). He got Nexus because Iphone plans don't qualify for double data sale. No 4g no double data

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

No sir. Grab a nexus, sell it, grab an iPhone. Little more work, but definitely doable. That AND one can still get unlim with VZW... just gotta be resourceful (ie google search).

7. kalex macrumors 65816

Oh goodie another post about the thread about ATT and data throttling :rolleyes:

----------

and watch your double data disapear. and its too much hassle just to keep an iphone. use Nexus its a fine and quite capable phone

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

nope

9. kalex macrumors 65816

double data is only for LTE devices doesn't apply to non LTE devices. unless its another loophole in the archaic system they call verizon provisioning

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

They only care about the signup. The system doesn't do a check, likely ever. Fiance's sister has been doing it this way for nearing 3 months. We even asked the rep if that was true and he said yes. It's their ploy to sell more LTE phones. They want to have the most LTE phones an any American network. That's it. If it was LTE specific, one would think it would be retro-active. It is not. One must sign a new two year contract to get on board.

11. kalex macrumors 65816

Thats not the reason. Reason they are pushing LTE is because LTE spectrum is wide open without any bottle necks. 3g spectrum is running at capacity and they are trying to move as many people to LTE as they can which will reduce strain on 3g network

12. andrew8404 thread starter macrumors regular

Verizon is only doing double the data for LTE devices so I couldn't have gotten an iphone. Besides I want my double the date for an LTE iphone. I also looked into the unlimited loop hole for verizon but it sounds like that doesn't work anymore on numerous google searches.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You say one reason, I say another. What difference does it make, really? I offered a solution to the OP getting back with his beloved iPhone.

PS, LTE is in very few cities, all things considered. Not going to help if I have an LTE phone in a city that only has 3G anyway.

----------

Yes, you could have, by doing literally what I said a few posts up. If you don;t want to, that's one thing. Your initial post sounded like you were pretty bummed about dropping the iPhone. I offered you a solution. You chose not to take it. Now I am moving on. :D

Oh, and the loophole does still work FYI.

14. DroidRules macrumors 65816

A thread better left to a face book update or blog but......

IF you're at 2gig with 8 days left on your bill obviously you aren't a high data user. Sucks that in your area there are and you take the hit, oh well. Why not just move to the 3gig plan for the same price and be covered and not throttled.

I however suspect that this full of drama thread is just your way of trying to justify to yourself (and others) why you're switching to another phone. No one cares if you go to another platform so enjoy your new phone and leave the drama for acting class.

15. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

ATT throttles?

16. goMac macrumors 603

17. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

2GBs that late into the month? wow thats barely anything....thankfully i live in Canada

18. nizmoz, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

nizmoz macrumors 65816

I also left AT&T and the iphone officially yesterday. I ordered my Droid RAZR MAXX which btw is a better phone over the Nexus so you should really look at it.

AT&T has screwed me too many times and I am just bored with the iphone now.

----------

Wrong. It's all 3G/4G data not just 4G. As long as it's a 4G phone and it starts to use 3G you still get the double data.

19. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

The Verizon unlimited data loophole IS CLOSED. Apparently they just closed it. The feature code for it according to the GIZMODO report no longer works. Several people on Android Central have tried the past couple of days and have had no luck. The guy I talked to said, he called late at night (which was when you were supposed to call) and they said its no longer in the system. He even supplied them with the feature code that many others used.

Now if by any chance it is still active I wouldn't trust it. Let's say Verizon catches on a few months later and changes your plan. Of course at that time the double data promo will no longer be available and you'll probably be on the $30 2GB plan which is such a rip off.

But hey at least give it a try since you have nothing to loose as your not a heavy user.

20. andrew8404 thread starter macrumors regular

Dude, it was meant to be a joke pull the stick out of your ass.

21. cynics macrumors G4

Verizon's 3G on an iPhone is pretty brutal. Having an LTE device on their network is the way to go.

Best I've gotten with my 4s is around 2 mb down average around .5 mb down. Best I've gotten with my LTE tablet is 45 mb down and average around 20 mb down.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

I have a Verizon LTE Galaxy Nexus.

Great phone but

2.5 hours streaming LTE with Netflix. Battery dead.

That's why I always carry my AT&T iPhone 4S also. I always carry two phones.

Be careful when you are on fringe LTE/CDMA area. The switch off from LTE to CDMA can be slow.

23. magicbrain macrumors regular

Lol

And the official #attFail troll of this thread is ...

(just look yourself)

It's pathetic that Att rather to hire brainless robots then _talk_ to their existing, loyal customers and try to work out some deal ...

24. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

You should of switched to the new 3GB data plan. It's the same price as the unlimited and since you hit 2GB in 8 days, I'm sure 3GB is plenty enough for you. But I'm glad you left, we don't need cry babies like you on here.

25. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Really? Because people are still getting it per howardforums.com.