AT&T rumored to be downgrading EDGE service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Diode, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Don't know how valid this rumor is but apparently AT&T is tuning down edge in favor of 3G (According to AT&T's engineers). This could cause some issues for first gen users and maybe explain recent outages of edge service (As they switch bands for Edge).

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=5979

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, an article was posted here about that earlier. I honestly think AT&T should rethink their strategy right now. Many of their customers are still EDGE phones. Unhappy customers will mean competitors will take advantage of that.

3. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

What I don't get is that AT&T does not have 3G everywhere. It's only in about 350 metreopolitan areas now and in subruban areas you can jump between edge and 3G all the time. Bad move. Wait until you a lot more 3G coverage before you do this.

4. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

I have a feeling they will only be doing this in area's with 3G coverage.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Why bother with downgrading it? Consider its current speed, they might as well just turn it off.

6. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

They shouldn't, because quite frankly, the 3G coverage sucks, even in 3G coverage area's.

I just upgraded to a 3G phone and I have only seen the 3G symbol pop up once since I've had it. In the Apple Store where I bought it.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I would think so too. If not, they should have 3G everywhere in the country before this takes place.

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Maybe they already started doing this. I get much better 3G reception in the building at work now.

9. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Yea me too.

10. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Well the whole reason for doing this is to give 3G better coverage. The 850 band they will be switching too will penetrate buildings better.

11. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I won't be forced to purchase a 3G phone, so if the service becomes unbearably slow, I will simply cancel the data plan.

It's that simple!

Jude

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Sue

Yeah well If at&t did that I would sue them for disabling the Edge part of my iPhone. Unless they give me a iPhone 3G or my money back. Well edge is still ticking so hopefully it won't be to soon.

13. one1 macrumors 65816

ATT never posted exact numbers on edge, keeping it vague to allow them to phase it down in the future and push customers to 3g without being sued over the lack of performance.

One thing however is that they did put customers on the contract assuming edge was going to be running on "this band" of frequency and they should expect the performance capabilities of "this band" of frequency. Moving to a lesser performance band of frequency may indeed violate their agreement to deliver you with "said amount" of expected edge performance. If you signed up for 850 mhz edge and they delivered you 1900 mhz edge with worse performance, then they have violated their agreement of what they promised to deliver.

The problem is, as 3G owners know already, 3G is not constant. It is spotty and everyone finds themselves on edge at certain points, so this also affects 3G customers making it a clean sweep violation of everyone's agreement.