Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
I got the call 611 message. I reset the phone and went back to settings and it was already set to use cellular.

jvic

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I have a 5 with unlimited data. It was switched on. Didn't work. Restart. Works. Placed call to wife's phone.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2011
Not working here in Green Bay, WI on iPhone 5 grandfathered unlimited data.

Tried both normal and hard restart.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
So, how long until we get a VoiceTime? As in FaceTime but without the video, meaning voice over data. Any predictions?

Around the same time we get built in call blocking. Carriers don't want to become "dumb pipes" for wireless data, and so they will use whatever leverage they have with handset manufacturers, like Apple, and consumers to avoid this fate for as long as possible.

But yeah, unoffically you can do voice only calls simply by exiting out of the FaceTime app.

Last edited:

man02195

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2010
Not working in central NY on iPhone 4s with unlimited data....still says to call AT&T

Hard reset didn't work, 2nd hard reset didn't work, 3rd hard reset didn't worK
Turned off wifi, did hard reset, THEN got "Use Cellular Data ON"
But it turns OFF after a few minutes
Charlotte NC LTE, iPhone 5, Grandfathered unlimited

FrauHasSpoken

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
weird. I didn't do anything and it automatically was enabled.

Sacramento here.

Thanks at&t!

----------

Did you guys read the article? If you're grandfathered in to the unlimited plan, AT&T won't let you use FaceTime. They're doing everything they can to make your unlimited data useless.

lol

besweeet2

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Not working for me (reboot).

This still makes AT&T look like a dick of a company for not doing this from the beginning. Do something similar for tethering without overcharging, and that might change a little bit.

TheKerryKid

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
NY, NY
I have a 4S with unlimited data on ATT. I restarted the phone and it still says I need to call ATT.

Same for me. When I restarted and went to the settings it was set to "on" for a second or two, but then changed itself to "off". When I switched it to on I got the same message as you did again. Am on a 4S with unlimited data.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I have a grandfathered unlimited plan in MA and currently FaceTime over cellular refuses to activate. There's the message telling me to contact AT&T, presumably to switch plans. A restart didn't do any good.

Jleroy

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Had faith!

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

AT&T appears to be quietly extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular capabilities to all their iPhone customers. Earlier this month, AT&T announced that they would allow any customer "with an LTE device" on a "tiered data plan" to use iOS 6's FaceTime over Cellular feature.

This, however, excluded a number of customers, including those with grandfathered unlimited data plans as well as those with the iPhones 4S. (Note, iOS 6, itself, can only supports FaceTime-over-Cellular on the 4S, 5 and iPad 3rd Gen or higher)

Tonight, Forum user kre62 noticed that both his iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 with unlimited AT&T data plans now support FaceTime over cellular.This finding has been confirmed by a number of users in this discussion thread -- though some users have been unable to activate it so it may still be rolling out to some areas. AT&T had said the original rollout for tiered plans could take 8-10 weeks. Most of the positive responses have been those with the iPhone 5 and grandfathered unlimited data, but the original poster also had luck with an iPhone 4S.

Some users have had to completely restart their phones for the service to go into effect. There still remains a possibility that this is an oversight on AT&T's part. We are reaching out to AT&T for clarification on their policy.

Article Link: AT&T Seems to Be Extending FaceTime-Over-Cellular to All Customers

Yes, turned off and on iPhone 5's this morning, and now we both have cellular FaceTime on old unlimited plan. Yay for everyone that kept up the pressure and didn't capitulate to a shared pan.

*****UPDATE 1/2 hour later--Cancel that, now back to need to update plan screen. Someone at AT&T playing games?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.