Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drewsky5

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2008
Given the historic problems with ordering from AT&T, could somebody explain why anybody orders from AT&T directly? Since Apple sells and ships itself, why are people ordering from AT&T?

Not intended to flame, I just wanted to see if I was missing something.

I wouldn't order from AT&T, except I have an account set up through the school I go to, and I have to go directly through AT&T to make changes to my account (including buying a new iPhone, apparently)

RAS admin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2004
Berkshires, Mass.
Changing voice plans, transferring contacts

I have decided to get me an iPhone 3GS (notice it is already in my sig).

I am already an AT&T customer from way back Cingular got bought. I am not under any contract. I have a Motorola Razr.

Some questions for a newbie:

1. What is the cheapest plan I can get with the data plan and 200 txt messages? I'm paying $55/mo. now and don't want to pay much more than that.

2. Is there a way to setup the plan through the Apple online store? When I tried going through the online process it says "No voice plan changes." There is nowhere to change my minutes plan.

3. How do I go about transferring all my contacts from my Razr? When I switched from my Nokia to the Motorola, the guy at the Cingular store hooked up a cable between the two phones and transferred all the info. Is there a way to do this by myself with the iPhone?

I'm thinking it is probably best to go to an AT&T store where I can buy the phone, change voice plans, and then transfer all my contacts.

eme jota ce

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago
Once burned buy(ing) AT&T, twice shy

After the miserly low stocks the AT&T stores had at the last launch, combined with the deceitfully dishonest information they provided to the hundreds and hundreds of us they kept waiting in line; in contrast to the smooth and respctful treatment I received a Couple days later in the Apple store's longer but faster line... There's no way I'd order from AT&T.

I'm upgrading from 3G to 3Gs and relying on Apple to get it to me on the 19th.

Ombatay

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
So this is only if you order from AT&T, right?

I'm browsing the apple website, and it still states, "order now and receive by the 19th". AT&T is the only one coming out and saying, no, no, not yet, but if we order directly from apple.com, it should still arrive by the 19th, no?

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I'm browsing the apple website, and it still states, "order now and receive by the 19th". AT&T is the only one coming out and saying, no, no, not yet, but if we order directly from apple.com, it should still arrive by the 19th, no?

Correct.

Gundampilotspaz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
I ordered mine on the 11th and the manager said I would not be getting mine on the 19th. But they give you the tracking information so I hope he is wrong. :(

grisjuan

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2009
Why order from AT&T? They do know the account details better than Apple in my limited experience and their service is not always terrible.

For example, about 2 months after the 3G release, we went to an Apple store to get a 3G for my girlfriend and add it as a 2nd line on my account - this involved setting up a new family plan.

The Apple store employee spent more than 30 minutes trying to set this up. He finally told us it had succeeded. But the charges on our first bill ended up wrong. A call to AT&T customer service straightened it out and the AT&T person was friendly and knowledgeable. So that's at least one data point for dealing directly with AT&T since the account is with them and not Apple.

Gundampilotspaz

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2006
Why order from AT&T? They do know the account details better than Apple in my limited experience and their service is not always terrible.

For example, about 2 months after the 3G release, we went to an Apple store to get a 3G for my girlfriend and add it as a 2nd line on my account - this involved setting up a new family plan.

The Apple store employee spent more than 30 minutes trying to set this up. He finally told us it had succeeded. But the charges on our first bill ended up wrong. A call to AT&T customer service straightened it out and the AT&T person was friendly and knowledgeable. So that's at least one data point for dealing directly with AT&T since the account is with them and not Apple.

And, I explained in another post here, the AT&T employees also saved me $200 by gaming the system and getting me the subsidized price. All they did was add a new line to my family plan and gave me a 15% student discount on my service. So the $9.99 for the added line basically vanishes thanks to the new discount and I get to use the upgrade that comes with that line for the iPhone 3G S.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
This can't be good. 5 minutes away from AT&T, 90 minutes away from nearest Apple Store …

Success! An hour ago, I called AT&T. A friend of my family works there. She let me use my cousin's upgrade and I'll let my cousin use mine this December. Now I'm only paying $299 instead of $499. :D AND, she told me that if I had called her earlier I could have gotten it a day or two before release date. She would have just called me up there. Oh well, I show up a 7 AM and I have a new iPhone 3G S⃣ !

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
What sort of numbers are we talking about here? 10,000's? 100,000's? .........

I'd imagine they planned on having more initially available this time after what happened last year with the 3G. While some people think they create shortages on purpose, Apple and AT&T don't want people walking away without a phone.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Does anyone know what time they go on sale on Friday? Just whenever the stores normally open?

Even though I have 3 Apple Stores close to me, I think I'm going to avoid them as the lines will be long. I'm thinking maybe going to one of the small AT&T stores off the beaten path a bit might be a better bet. They'll have fewer available phones but I bet many fewer people trying to get in too.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Call me cynical but I'm wondering if Apple planned this from the start... allow a limited # of pre-orders and then suddenly show "sold out." People panic and get to the store ASAP. After all if too many people pre-ordered vs. going to the store lines would be minimal and the StupidPress, Apple Haters, etc., would report "demand for the new iPhone is down judging by the lines here." (In StupidPress World anecdotal sightings = fact.) This is Apple playing the StupidPress as only they know how -- like a maestro on a Stradivarius.

I'm still not seeing huge supply issues. I'm betting there will be plenty of iPhones in-store just as there were for the past two generations. Sure there will be spot shortages, but generally if you want one you'll get one within a day.

Also keep in mind the end of the fiscal quarter is coming up and I'm sure Apple will want to sell as many iPhones as possible to pad the numbers. I'm talking break out quarter.

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
Does anyone know what time they go on sale on Friday? Just whenever the stores normally open?

Even though I have 3 Apple Stores close to me, I think I'm going to avoid them as the lines will be long. I'm thinking maybe going to one of the small AT&T stores off the beaten path a bit might be a better bet. They'll have fewer available phones but I bet many fewer people trying to get in too.

Maybe they will open an hour early. The AT&T down the steet from me will start to give out re-ordered iPhones at 7AM and start to sell first-come first-serve at 8AM. Why not call the Apple store and ask them. They will answer any question.

KoNeko

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
I feel bad for registering to ask this, but I just preordered my phone a matter of hours ago from my AT&T Store. Do you think it would be safe to assume that I can claim my treasured device on the 20th since those preordering it yesterday receive it exactly 7 days later? Or do you think the 7-14 day shipping period is actually something to go by?

I'm hoping the 7-14 day period is just listed so people can't complain...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
she told me that if I had called her earlier I could have gotten it a day or two before release date.

She was yanking your chain. I guarantee you the ATT stores will not receive inventory until a day before launch precisely to stop rouge employees breaking the embargo. Heck Apple didn't even want unboxing pictures up yet.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
I'm still not seeing huge supply issues. I'm betting there will be plenty of iPhones in-store just as there were for the past two generations. Sure there will be spot shortages, but generally if you want one you'll get one within a day.

Last year they had more than spot shortages. Every store sold out of their initial shipments of the 3G and they had lines waiting whenever new shipments came in.

It took them a few weeks to catch up with everyone who wanted one. There were definitely supply issues last year.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Apple is opening at 8AM. ATT is opening at 7AM, but for pre-orders only. Regular hours otherwise.

I know it sounds counter intuitive but a long line at Apple goes a lot quicker than a short line at ATT. I bought my 2G from ATT in a mall that also had an Apple store. I used your same logic. I was #16 in the ATT line. The Apple line was about 100 long. To my amazement it took me an hour to get to the top of the line and get my phone. When I finally left there was NO line at Apple, and yes, they still had both models available.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/10/apple_stores_to_open_8_a_m__att_stores_7_a_m_for_iphone_3g_s.html

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA
She was yanking your chain. I guarantee you the ATT stores will not receive inventory until a day before launch precisely to stop rouge employees breaking the embargo. Heck Apple didn't even want unboxing pictures up yet.

Well yeah. To clarify, she did say a day before and not two. She did say I could have gotten it THAT day. June 18.

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
I ordered 2 3G s 32GB phones from at&t a few days ago. Hoping to get them on the 19th, but would not be surprised if it took longer. One reason I can't complain, however, is that I bought my 3G last August and for some reason at&t gave me the full discount, I paid $299 each for both (one is for another line on my account).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.