AT&T shipped me a 2nd iPhone! No charge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotorhead250, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rotorhead250 macrumors newbie

Without going into to much detail, I had a existing pre order with AT&T that they totally messed up. Well I went into AT&T on the 29th, canceled my existing order, and just bought a new phone on contract. Well guess what, fedex just delivered my other iPhone! And, as far as I can tell there is no charge, pending or otherwise that corresponds with it. I can't figure out how AT&T could be that incompetent, but they are. I am not sure what to do, I think I will just wait a few days and see if another charge shows up.

What should I do? Return the phone, or try to profit from this? I really want to sell it on eBay or give it to my wife, but not sure how that would work. Anybody have this happen to them?

2. pintnight macrumors 6502

When did you canceled your order? If you canceled on June 29th, of course the iPhone will show up today.

3. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

if they don't charge you you know what you have to do. It is only common sense that you would return it.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm sure they'll figure it out and ask for the phone back or they'll just charge you the full price.

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

Though I have a hard time believing your story, keeping a phone you didn't pay for is stealing. You would be a criminal and selling said item for money would also be a crime (selling stollen property) to which the buying customer would also be part of. Good luck with that.

6. Coasterboi macrumors newbie

Return it so they can ship it to someone still waiting.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Obviously the right thing to do would be to call AT&T to return it.

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

These.

9. Zack G. macrumors newbie

10. lawrence32 macrumors member

They did the same thing to me, I took mine to my local att store and they made sure I was not going to be charged again and sold it to some guy right on the spot.

They did tell me had I not brought it in that the full purchase price would have been added to my att account once they tracked it down. They did make a phone call and got me a 50 dollar credit on my bill, so it worked out.

11. rotorhead250 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow

You guys are fast. I suppose the best thing to do would to return it, however AT&T pissed me off so bad it is tempting to try to profit from it. I just can't believe that AT&T is is stupid.

12. woosah macrumors regular

woosah

Return it. If you don't, your parents failed. Anyway, they'll charge you sooner or later. I received my pre-order on 6/23 and my card wasn't charged for 5 days.

13. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Why even post this when you've already made up your mind? Sounds like you just want people to ease your worries and assure you that they won't be able to track you down and charge you for it.

14. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

This!

15. rotorhead250 thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, well I guess it's time to visit AT&T and claim my 50.00 credit :)

16. lawrence32 macrumors member

I hope they hook you up, I didn't even ask them to.

17. boxster99t macrumors member

How do you know you haven't been charged? My iPhone 4 was charged not to my credit card, but to my bill (that will come next month) from AT&T and that just hit yesterday (my phone was received on launch day, last Thursday).

If it were me, I'd contact AT&T to return it. It's possible they will never know, but keeping the iPhone just because you haven't been caught yet, doesn't make it right. And if AT&T does catch it, if you don't have the iPhone to return, you may be charged the full unsubsidized price.

18. hypoh macrumors member

hypoh

:D:D:D

19. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

20. maokh macrumors 6502

Sprint did this exact thing to me years ago, i received a duplicate shipment a phone. They ended up trying to put the full unsubsidized amount on my bill before I even had a chance to return it. I would highly suggest returning it to avoid any surprises.

21. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

They WILL found out eventually and when they do, you will be looking at an ugly $600-$700 charge.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

It shouldn't be a question. Return it. Karma can be a beast!

23. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

rest assured you WILL get charged eventually. they have all phones in a database and know exactly which phone is shipped where via IMEI/ICCID/Serial No., they will track it down.

24. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Theses is no good karma when he was trying to get away without returning it, then realizing he needs to return it he is expecting something for returning it.

Take it back otherwise they will eventually charge you. And don't expect anything for doing the right thing

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Do the right thing and return it.