AT&T Stores are going to be a complete mess..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FSUSem1noles, Jul 7, 2008.

1. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

So other than student discounts, if you get a discount on your monthly bill, you'll have to go to an AT&T store..

source: http://www.appleinsider.com/article...e_3g_transactions_at_apple_retail_stores.html

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

3. FSUSem1noles thread starter macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Poor choice of words, I meant, PACKED... lol.. I for one was planning to go to the Apple store, but now since I get a discount from my employer, looks like I'm headed to AT&T..

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Exactly...It is new to Apple. They have just been used to selling the phones themselves...they haven't had to setup contracts or deal with plans.

I would bet AT&T will actually have people at Apple Stores for launch day to make it go smoother.

Fortunately there's like a 10:1 ratio for AT&T to Apple stores...so I don't think it'll be as big of a problem as you think.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I would wait in line at AT&T rather than Apple.

6. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

pple think it's a hard process to activate a cellphone

it really isn't that hard. Everything is done through a web portal. A few training sessions through it and it's cake.

i can understand things like discounts and business accounts being handled in an att store.

But simple things like an activation and an upgrade to an account can easily be done. That's how att lets resellers of their phones and products do it.

7. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

AT&T's servers are going to go nuts. I upgraded two other phones on my account today and activation took over a half hour. "opus" or whatever she said they use to activate their phones was undergoing some big updates for the new iPhone, so it was dragging. Hope they get the bugs out by friday.

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I also think people are forgetting how fricken easy it was the 1st time around to activate the iphone from home.

I imagine apple and att stores will use that activation only version of itunes to make things go even quicker.

9. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Maybe it was for you ... it took me 3 days, ~12 trips to the AT&T store, 3 sim cards and several hours on the phone with the ports department to complete my activation.

10. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Lmao this is funny do you know that att wireless uses windows computers. Let me guess the iphone has to snyc which on a crappy entry level computer which they use for att wireless it will take forever. did any ever think that the iphone already comes unbricked and all they do is pop in a sim card like every other cellphone.

11. guru_ck macrumors 6502

Me too, but it only took 1 SIM card and 3 visits to the AT&T Store. They kept telling me to wait and that the activation would eventually process. Then on Sunday they swapped out the SIM card and activation was a breeze :).

12. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

I'll be going to an ATT store for the corp discount. Does anyone know what kind of proof we need for the discount?
    And if my wife is the one that gets the discount, can I buy the phone and sign up for service?

13. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I hope so. I hope most people end up buying at an Apple store since they get an extra $100 per "referral" to AT&T in addition to whatever they end up making on each phone sold.

Pump up the stock! :D

14. shyrock macrumors newbie

interesting...cuz I won't be receiving a business discount on the "mobile phone", but on the "service".

seems unclear to me...I better be able to purchase at apple cuz I have a gift card from v1.:mad:

15. drchipinski macrumors 6502

drchipinski

I agree....ATT will be my choice.

16. bigtar macrumors member

Are ATT stores going to have inventory to last the weekend, or even just through to Saturday?

17. Cool6324 macrumors member

You should do some more reading; student discounts are no different than other discounts. Do you think that AT&T has a special system for students? The answer is no; I would head to the AT&T store if you have any type of FAN applied to your account.

I am saying all of this because I qualify for a student discount.

18. sfwalter macrumors 68000

sfwalter

Good question. With so many AT&T stores nation wide I am not expecting one particular store to have a huge amount of units. They just have too many stores and need to spread the wealth around.

19. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I highly doubt it. For most at&t stores, the 1st gen release only lasted them 2 hours at max.

20. ramblintoad macrumors member

Wait so since I get a discount through my employer I'm considered a business user and will have to pay $45 a month for internet?

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

With all the Apple and AT&T stores accessing AT&T corporate servers for activation, and all the chatter from people on the web, I think the INTERNET is going to be a complete mess... :eek:

22. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

So if I just applied for a FAN discount but its on my OTHER line and not my main line and wont go into effect for 2 billing cycles...I still have to go to ATT????

This would tick me off immensely and make me cancel until AFTER I get my iPhone. :mad:

23. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Yeah and they also had no idea of the true demand they would have. Now they have a year's worth of sales data to gauge demand off of.

2nd generations and later usually don't have issues with places selling out en masse...unless of course there is already talk of trouble with the supply chain leading to the store (such as with the Wii). I haven't heard of any such issues with the production of the new iPhone so I think there will be plenty of phones and there will be only sporadic sales outages and popular stores and resellers.

Your best bet with AT&T stores is to find a good corporate store (not a reseller) and keep in mind backups in case I'm wrong and it does sell out at your store.

24. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

AT&T resellers do not sell iPhone. AT&T has their stuff together... I'd rather go there.

25. Dakotafan macrumors 6502

well let's see - I have 2 apple stores somewhat near me and about 8 at&t stores within a 10 min drive...hmm...I'm just curious as to how many people will be there when i pull up to the at&t store.